Home
Jamiroquai

2013 Remasters of First 3 Albums

Talk about the funk. Albums, singles, music videos, remixes, etc.

2013 Remasters of First 3 Albums

Postby alyd on Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:44 pm

To celebrate the 20th anniversary of Jamiroquai’s 1993 debut album ‘Emergency On Planet Earth’, Sony Music are set to release a deluxe package of remastered versions of the first three classic No.1 albums ‘Emergency On Planet Earth’, ‘Return Of The Space Cowboy’ and ‘Travelling Without Moving’ on March 11th 2013. Each album contains a bonus disc featuring B-sides, remixes, live tracks and unreleased rarities. Each package comes with a 20-page booklet, including a 2000 word essay about the album, penned by Jay Kay himself.

So these are out on the 11th of March. One last cash-in from the record company or have the band got anything to do with these mixes?

Remasters of 90s hits from Nirvana and Pearl Jam have been mixed for iPod headphones and tinny docks and just made way too noisy. Louder peaks don't always make for good listening and as we know these 3 Jamiroquai albums have their own sound - I certainly won't be blind buying them until I know a) what's been done and b) if the band approve.

Sorry to seem a pessimist but a major part of why these albums are classics is because of how they were mixed compared to other popular music - Pro Tool at your peril. Fingers crossed they've done them justice, but if it ain't broke... :D
alyd

Re: 2013 Remasters of First 3 Albums

Postby Giba7 on Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:12 am

aha!
alyd wrote: if it ain't broke... :D
then no need to change it, eh? :lol:

I would assume if they are penning a 2000 word essay that the remix is approved.
Seems to me the true fans are always looking for just one more collectible!

I would buy it for the B-sides.
Giba7
Runaway

Postby alyd on Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:50 pm

I dunno, it's a very different thing for Jay to write about the albums to actually be involved or have approval on the remastering - we don't know when he wrote those notes either, or if they were originally intended to be for these releases. One thing doesn't have to have anything to do with the other just because it's packaged that way :)
alyd

Postby Giba7 on Fri Jan 25, 2013 4:59 am

so true!
Giba7
Runaway

Postby alyd on Fri Jun 21, 2013 2:38 am

Had the chance to have a good listen and compare and sadly it seems I was right.

Does anyone know if the band or Jay had anything to do with the remastering process?

There's a site here that compares dynamic range and you can see that TROTSC gets higher marks for the 1994 CD than for the 2013. http://www.dr.loudness-war.info/index.php?search_artist=jamiroquai&sort=year&order=asc

Also, thanks to Michael on Jamirotalk, here's a graphic that shows how the loudness of Blow Your Mind has been manipulated;

That's not just that track, it's what's been done for all three Jamiroquai 2013 remasters. And it's happened to albums by other artists too, as I mentioned in the first post of this thread - loud for tiny headphones and small speakers but really pretty uncomfortable on a decent system.

The new notes and extra tracks are worth a look though, but it's a shame to think that these might ever be the only versions of these albums that are in print. Personally, I'd hate to see the classic original sound chucked out in favour of these. But let's hope that never happens and this is just an alternative version to make a bit more cash from these albums, not replacements :)
alyd

Postby Giba7 on Sat Jun 22, 2013 4:39 am

So what is the loudness war arguing? that remasters are too loud and distorted?
it looks distorted, does it sound distorted?

so I don't get -do we want to make it louder for earphones? do you think that's what the remaster was for? all the iPod accessories? even car speakers? seems like there is a reason for the change, some intention. assuming the original was digital recordings too.

It would be a shame if the original recordings are replaced by modern adjustments, but that's often what happens. Hold onto your treasured originals! :mrgreen:
Sorry, I didn't buy the remasters yet. I'm saving up for an expensive trip.
Giba7
Runaway

Postby ameetrao1 on Fri Jul 26, 2013 8:05 am

does anyone know where i can get these? anyone want to sell?
ameetrao1

Postby Giba7 on Wed Jul 31, 2013 3:42 am

Giba7
Runaway

Postby funkygarden on Tue Aug 06, 2013 12:16 am

Hi, now we're quite a few months down the line, and I admit still haven't purchased these yet (not sure why, I'm usually the one pre-ordering and on the doorstep release day). I have a collection of all albums and many many of the old Cd singles, imports, promos etc. etc. so probably have most of the B sides?...Are there any unusual tracks here? I would be glad of the info... think it would just be handy to save the old merchandise from damage.
Also, I purchased about 10/15 early downloads from this website years and years ago from the original shop and I can't access them anymore, but who do you contact? Is it the change of format or technology that prevents me from accessing them (if I recall correctly I'm sure they were .99p each!!)

:) :) :)
funkygarden

Postby electricmaster on Thu Aug 29, 2013 6:02 am

funkygarden wrote:Hi, now we're quite a few months down the line, and I admit still haven't purchased these yet (not sure why, I'm usually the one pre-ordering and on the doorstep release day). I have a collection of all albums and many many of the old Cd singles, imports, promos etc. etc. so probably have most of the B sides?...Are there any unusual tracks here? I would be glad of the info... think it would just be handy to save the old merchandise from damage.
Also, I purchased about 10/15 early downloads from this website years and years ago from the original shop and I can't access them anymore, but who do you contact? Is it the change of format or technology that prevents me from accessing them (if I recall correctly I'm sure they were .99p each!!)

:) :) :)

Hey, I certainly noticed some significant differences between the originals and the remasters. I would say the changes made it sound "crisper" if that makes sense...
electricmaster
Supersonic

Postby ameetrao1 on Sun Apr 27, 2014 10:41 am

Yeah, i've got the first two, i've got most of the stuff on them anyway, someone's broken into my f***in facebook account
ameetrao1

Return to Music and Video