Home
Jamiroquai

Lovebox Festival, London (24 July)

Reviews and discussions about older concerts. Current concerts reviews and information should be posted to the 2009 section.

Lovebox Festival, London (24 July)

Postby David on Mon Jul 24, 2006 11:20 am

Hi everyone. We'd love for you to post any reviews, comments, photos etc. from this concert and you never know, we may put some photos on the gallery at Jamiroquai.com.... :D

We hope that everyone who attended had a great time and enjoyed hearing some of the classic tracks such as Stillness in Time and If I Like It....
Last edited by David on Tue Aug 15, 2006 8:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
David
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Cosmic Glob on Mon Jul 24, 2006 12:58 pm

:D :D :D Yesterday was the best and funkiest day of my entire life! :D :D :D
Travelling Without Moving was simply amazing! And that random dude in the pink cape was hilarious!!!!!!! Not got my pics yet, hopefully they wont turn out dodgy! Am still too excited to bother making sense or giving proper details! But i can pretty much sum everything up with OMG!!!! EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
Cosmic Glob

lovebox

Postby coolkitten on Mon Jul 24, 2006 2:24 pm

i was also there and it was funkin wicked!!! wanted it to last longer though. i could easily have stayed there all night listening to them if we were allowed. i managed to get to the front with a little determination. it was an absolutely excellent experience to see the band right there in front of you. i will be on a high for a long time now! :D :D :D :D .
coolkitten

Postby vati on Mon Jul 24, 2006 3:02 pm

Thanks a lot jamiro for the splendid concert of victoria.
vati
Mr Moon

Postby staineschris on Mon Jul 24, 2006 5:01 pm

Whilst I'd never claim to be the biggest Jamiroquai fan in the world I have always bought the albums. I saw the band live for the first time last year at Clapham common and thought they were great but the volume was poor, obviously down to the festival. I thought again last nijght the volume was poor but better than last year.
I thought that the way the played played was fantastic and Jay was on top form, however I have got to say I was dissapointed with the setlist. I aws interested to know what Jamiroquai's real true fans thought and would they have liked to have heard more of the singles being played or are they happier hearing the album tracks?
I was really hoping to hearthe likes of Emergency on planet earth, Too Young To Die, Canned Heat, Corner of the Earth, Feels Just Like It Should whilst my girlfriend and sister were holding out for Virtual Insanity, Cosmic Girl and Little L. I wouldn't have expected the band to ply all of those plus Space Cowboy, deeper Underground and Lovefoolosophy which they did play but i would have expected to have a few more of them chucked in.
I know from when i see the other bands that I like regulary that a lot of the fans appreciate some of the older album tracks and B sides but when a classic hit is pulled out the bag the venues errupt.
I also thought it was a shame that the headline act were only on for an hour and a half, I guess that is down to the promoter.
I DID think that Jamiroquai were fantastic but whiched they had played a few more of their hits. I would love to know what everyone else thought?
staineschris

Postby loves2luv on Mon Jul 24, 2006 7:19 pm

That was a truly amazing concert, I was dancing my heels away and everything I truly love Jamiroquai, old music and new music and I am so glad you played music from your first and second album because I luv listening to that when I want some down time, THANQ soooooooooooooooo much xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx forever your fan Lydia
loves2luv

Postby Supasonic on Mon Jul 24, 2006 7:34 pm

:D I had a truly amazing time, I am at my most happiest when I'm at a Jamiroquai gig - I was lucky enough to get to the front (although felt bit disappointed that quite a few of the people I met were not too friendly - shame I didn't manage to recognise any Jamily members) anyway back to the music, I loved the set although Seven days in Sunny June would have been fab as it was a warm summers night! I have never known time to go so quick!!!

Hope the rest of u guys had as good a time as me, and THANK YOU Jamiroquai for your usual top quality performance and thanx for coming back to visit us London fans during your busy tour. Love and peace xxx :D
Supasonic
Supersonic

Postby aastrid25 on Mon Jul 24, 2006 7:37 pm

I had a fantastic time at lovebox and danced my butt off! Thought the reworking of revolution was great and love foolosophy was really rocking too. Have to say StainesChris that as a die hard fan, it would have been good to hear a few more album tracks for me (!), although the singles are obviously popular. There are some beautiful tracks they could have played, although my favourite is Cosmic Girl a "single" track - a shame it didn't feature! But was still impressed that they did some of the old ones such as Space Cowboy and Stillness in Time - I expected dynamite to have been pushed a bit more, and in some ways was sorry that there weren't more tracks played from that album as it rocks! :D

However, what I would say about the gig is that I only went to see Jamiroquai and we ended up getting up really early, then waiting around for several hours for them as had no idea what time they were on and then the venue tried to charge six quid for a programme!! Even those selling them seemed a bit sheepish. Plus there was no proper beer. Got a bit hot and bothered after all the waiting around. :?

But will stop moaning as the music was worth it - Jay on top form as usual, plus the star appearance by foxy the pink cape - if you are out there dude, paste a message...we were all jealous!!!
aastrid25

Lovebox

Postby Southern Son on Mon Jul 24, 2006 8:49 pm

I travelled up to London again to see Jamiroquai, and agin i was not disappointed. I know that a great proportion of fans were upset that they did not play a large proprotion of there popular songs, but i liked the different apporach by the band, something unique.

I have been a fan for many years now, and seem them twice which will most probably put me quite far down the hierarchy of fans, however i will say this. Sundays performance was awesome, and i really enjoyed hearing if i like it, i do it, soul education and black capricorn day which are some of my favorites, of and of course revolution 1993.
Southern Son

Postby samantha1170 on Mon Jul 24, 2006 10:24 pm

Hi everyone, this appeared at the Jamiroquai Myspace.com website...

Jamiroquai's Personal Messages to Lovebox Audience...

"Let me just say, you were all fantastic! The support was phenomenal and it boosted us all no end. We tried to do some different stuff for you, I hope you enjoyed it, there is plenty more where that came from. There is nothing else to say - except you are all great and that the new jamiroquai single is coming soon and I know you're going to love it" - Love Jay Kay

"I had such a great time! It was nice to play some different tunes, I hope you enjoyed them. The festival was a really nice day out, so much fun stuff going on!" - Matt Johnson

"Thank you all so much for coming, we had a fantastic time doing the gig for you guys, and I look forward to the next one in London. Thanks for all your support over the years. Respect, D" - Derrick McKenzie

"Always great to be back in London, and feeling the support of all the fans old and new. Thank you very much! - Sola Akingbola

"Thanks to everyone for coming. Great to see so many familiar faces in the front row, from fans from all over the world! I hope everyone enjoyed themselves as much as we did" - Rob Harris

"It was great to see so many smiling faces, hope you enjoyed it, especially the new playlist. Thank you for your continuing support, See you soon" - Paul Turner

Source: http://blog.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=blog.view&friendID=17910772&blogID=147990482

Enjoy :) :) :)

SAMANTHA
samantha1170

Postby samantha1170 on Mon Jul 24, 2006 10:30 pm

I posted these photos in the "Upcoming Concerts" part of the forum, but as this is the new 'Lovebox' topic, I thought I'd repost them here as well...

Here are some photos of the concert that I found on Flickr.com

(Thanks to TabascoKid)

(Thanks to Lynt)

(Thanks to Lynt)

(Thanks to Lynt)

(Thanks to Lynt)

(Thanks to Lynt)

(Thanks to Lynt)

(Thanks to Lynt)

(Thanks to Lynt)

(Thanks to Lynt)

(Thanks to Lynt)

(Thanks to Lynt)

(Thanks to Lynt)

(Thanks to Lynt)

(Thanks to Lynt)

(Thanks to Lynt)

(Thanks to chocokrespis)

(Thanks to chocokrespis)

and here's some more photos...

Enjoy :) :) :)

SAMANTHA
samantha1170

Postby samantha1170 on Mon Jul 24, 2006 10:44 pm

Here's an article I found about JMQ at the concert...

All you need is Lovebox
Reviewed by Chris Elwell-Sutton, Evening Standard (24 July 2006)

As the sun set on Victoria Park last night, Jay Kay had thousands of happy people clapping in time with the kind of performance his group, Jamiroquai, can always be relied upon to deliver.

Clad in a South American poncho and futuristic plastic Native American headdress, Kay pranced round the stage exhibiting his impeccable showmanship, confidence and sense of rhythm, whipping up the crowd with slick moves and soulful falsetto yelps as he banged out hits like Return Of The Space Cowboy.

It was a fitting end to a slickly-run weekender that caught the mood of the current generation of party people perfectly.

A few years ago, rockers, ravers and hip-hoppers occupied quite distinct strands of youth culture, separated by clothing, lifestyle, language and attitude.

Now, these barriers are breaking down, a fact reflected in the line-ups of this summer's music festivals. Rock acts, DJs, reggae, urban and world music are now being enjoyed by the same crowd at the same event.

Just as traditionally guitar-based events like the V Festival and T In The Park have introduced more electronic music, so this year's Lovebox festival, which for the last three years was an electronic event organised by dance duo Groove Armada, boasted a more varied bill than ever before.

Saturday's event had focused largely on dance music, featuring Hot Chip - whose cool Basement Jaxx-like fusion of dance music, soul and rock has made them one of the bands of the moment - as well as Xpress 2 and a headline set from Groove Armada.

Yesterday's leg was not filled to capacity, perhaps because it appealed less to the event's core fan base, combined with the fact that an all-day drinking session on a Sunday is seen by many as a recipe for a hellish Monday. Nonetheless, the healthy number who attended were clearly glad they did.

And who can blame them? New York-based Englishman Mark Ronson was one of the early highlights. Like a quietly confident puppet-master, Ronson pulled the strings from a low-key position halfway up the stage, as various musicians and a DJ created a jazz-funk sound, occasionally interspersed with hip-hop.

The well connected DJ/producer/guitarist brought Lily Allen on stage to sing a track on which they'd collaborated. She may have been smoking a fag throughout her performance, but Allen failed to set the crowd alight, offering evidence - if any were needed - that it's never meant less to have a No.1 single.

The rock area hosted by the Kill All Hippies club night was rocked good and proper by hotly tipped newcomers Little Barrie and their spunky combination of stripped-down punk rock rhythms and screeching, bluesy guitar solos.

Another raved-about act to hit Lovebox was Gogol Bordello, whose infectiously energetic 'gipsy punk' sound sent the Rumble Teaser tent into a shouting, clapping, sweaty frenzy.

And what better way to recover from a frenzy than with the mellow reggae vibes of Jimmy Cliff. The Jamaican old-timer was a consummate class act, his high, heart-rending voice every bit as sweet as it was in the Seventies as he provoked widespread dreamy smiles with classics such as Many Rivers To Cross, interspersed with a bit of ska and gospel.

The trend for more eclecticism is producing an increasingly homogeneous festival scene, but Lovebox indicates that it has motivated promoters to raise the bar, programming their events more creatively. If this is the shape of summer festivals to come, there will be no complaints from me.

Source: http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/music/articles/23230403?source=Evening%20Standard&ct=5

SAMANTHA
samantha1170

Postby Sandriche on Tue Jul 25, 2006 10:22 am

HI PEOPLE !!!

INCREDIBLE!! JUST INCREDIBLE!!!!

ED FOR U..sorry i couldn´t get your signature..u should have asked simon :shock:

if u want to read my (very detailed)review and see more pics:arrow: http://www.jamirotalk.net/forum/viewtop ... 6395#66395
Sandriche

Postby FunkEducation on Tue Jul 25, 2006 12:19 pm

Sandriche wrote:ED FOR U..sorry i couldn´t get your signature..u should have asked simon :shock:

amazing sweetie! those pics are so much for me!!
Thanks! love ya!
FunkEducation

The Lovebox Weekend

Postby Percy on Tue Jul 25, 2006 3:06 pm

I went to Lovebox on Sunday to see Jamiroquai along with 2 girlfriends who are also big Jay Kay fans (yes Anita I KNOW one day you will marry him.....)

Anyway, after a horrendous trip up to London (replacement bus service to start the journey, getting evacuated from Kings Cross with the alarms going and everything, then more buses with sweaty old men staring at our ladies parts and children throwing up) we eventually get to Victoria Park and god bless Vodka for keeping us sane during our journey.

We had a fab afternoon, sitting and chilling out listening to and loving Mark Ronson, although a little disappointed with Lily Allen, LOVED Jimmy Cliffe's set and Mr Scruff and Norman Jay in the Barcardi tent.

Then our main purpose for the journey arrived on the stage. I have to confess to missing the first 5-10 minutes as I was phoning everyone I know to play choons down the phone to them and to remind them just how much I love Jay kay.....I really, really enjoyed seeing/hearing you, but felt a little disappointed as the set seemed a little predictable and really missed hearing Little L, Cosmic Girl and Seven days in sunny June.

However, this didn't stop me from dancing my socks off (or bouncing up and down non stop to Deeper Underground) and singing til I had no voice left on Monday morning. It is ALWAYS fab to see you and it should happen more often in the UK. Next time, I am definately gonna wear a pink cape or something similar to catch your eye. So keep your eyes peeled....

I love the material you produce but would love to see a new album come out and some new material......set seemed quite similar to Clapham last year.

If you wanted my mate Anita's details let me know..... xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Percy

Postby bubble007 on Tue Jul 25, 2006 4:25 pm

hay
that festival was soooo good
FOXY was funny lol lucky bugger
that guy on the ladder was such a dick
got a funky jami t-shirt too (thanks christine)
XemZX :P
bubble007

Postby FunkEducation on Tue Jul 25, 2006 5:33 pm

for me this is the picture of the year!!
Stuart Zender, Simon Merrick and Paul Turner!

the Past and the present of Jamiroquai in one picture!! just amazing!!!
Simon looks so great between them two!!!
FunkEducation

Postby ivy on Tue Jul 25, 2006 6:17 pm

amazing amazing the reviews have been incredible including the pics :D :D
ivy
Space Cowboy

Postby deesh on Tue Jul 25, 2006 6:46 pm

it was wonderful..and even better to see stuart enjoying the jamiroquai set - further proving that it's the fans that put stu vs. jay, not so much stu and jay. they have grown up and moved past the BS, maybe the fans can learn to also. love that picture of stu, simon and paul!

seeing stu nodding his head and putting a thumbs up to paul was a beautiful site. and meeting stuart and talking about home (he was raised in my area) was also a highlight.

about the setlist - i was so happy to hear some different songs. not sure who it was that commented about the songs, but little l, canned heat, SDISJ and cosmic girl have been on the setlist for like a year consistently, so the fact that they were omitted and if i like it and stillness in time were put in, were all good by me. they rehearsed more during soundcheck, including virtual insanity and starchild, so maybe they just ran out of time. also about the acts and the times. i wish it could have went longer, but by law they had to stop at a certain time. i was impressed with how quickly they changed acts and the next one came on.

i was happy to be there representing with claudia and chena for the american fans that couldn't make it. there are so many pictures and reviews floating around. i won't add to them, but just to say that we had an amazing time and from where i stood (front row), the sound was fine. the other bands sounded great too, especially secret stealth and mark ronson, who i admired before as a DJ, but now see more of his talents with the whole band.

being with everyone all day and just having my stillness in time...that is what sunday was to me. now i am back in philly at work and the memories will live with me forever..good times, good times.

it was weird seeing them with thousands of people, as i'm used to only 1000 or so (except for woodstock).

dj romeo - we held it down for you honey..had our NYC shirts on and all. we were thinking of you most of the time, especially while in line.

i enjoyed it for what it was and was so blessed to be there. :)

happy you all enjoyed yourselves..

"....and if i like it, i do it"
deesh
Supersonic

Postby David on Tue Jul 25, 2006 7:21 pm

FunkEducation wrote:...
for me this is the picture of the year!!
Stuart Zender, Simon Merrick and Paul Turner!

the Past and the present of Jamiroquai in one picture!! just amazing!!!
Simon looks so great between them two!!!

Great photo.
David
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby stardust5J on Tue Jul 25, 2006 8:20 pm

Sunday's concert was amazing. Plain and simple. The setlist was great, the sound was wonderful and the vibe was surreal. I had a wonderful time and would do it all over again. 13 hour wait and all. I've written so much already on other forums that I don't want to bore anyone to tears, but I had the time of my life. Team USA representing in the front row baby! Thanks Deesha, for being the driving force behind our efforts!

Ed, The picture posted above with Simon, Stuart and Paul is simply incredible!

I LOVE NY!
stardust5J

Postby Sandriche on Wed Jul 26, 2006 6:02 pm

david saying "hello" to the jamily...

more water please!!!

i saw many jamiroquai fans with adidas shoes 8) hehehe

matt...in such a great mood all the time! :D

after the gig :roll: :lol:

i finally met david :D thx for signing my shirt
Sandriche

Postby simonSE15 on Wed Jul 26, 2006 6:12 pm

here's a few shots I got of the crowd watching Jamiroquai :)

and one of Jay:

simonSE15

Postby Sandriche on Wed Jul 26, 2006 6:17 pm

THANKS A LOT SIMON!!!!!!!!! :D
Sandriche

Postby deesh on Wed Jul 26, 2006 6:29 pm

thank you simon for posting those pictures up here...they are great. love the one of chena singing while claudia was showing me how to use her camera..at least i think that is what we were doing!

also love the one of the little girl clapping and jeroen singing.

very nice. thanks again!
deesh
Supersonic

Next

Return to Older Concert Reviews