Home
Jamiroquai

Awesome night in Denver!!

Reviews and discussions about older concerts. Current concerts reviews and information should be posted to the 2009 section.

Awesome night in Denver!!

Postby sinheart on Wed Nov 02, 2005 7:29 pm

The concert in Denver, CO was truly a dream come true. I've been wanting to see Jamiroquai for years, but was never in the right place at the right time. I found out about the tour 3 days before the start of the US leg. I tried Atlantic City, Boston, New York, Toronto... everything all sold out. Then my boss sent me to Denver for two weeks right when they were going to do their concert. The gods were smiling upon me.

The concert was so awesome. I kept thinking I can't believe I'm actually here and up close too! All the way back to my hotel I couldn't wipe the smile of happiness from my face. I might even fly to Vegas on Friday!! Anyone got tickets? :P
sinheart

Postby jamirocat on Thu Nov 03, 2005 5:43 am

Sin, you said your boss flew you to Denver....from where?

I was impressed with the show and the crowd! So glad to see all the Jamiroquai fans in Denver ...and to hear the ROAR! I think the band was surprised by the Denver vibe.
jamirocat
Supersonic

Postby JamUser111039 on Thu Nov 03, 2005 9:57 am

Does anyone have a setlist of this show?
JamUser111039

Postby Just_Kendra81 on Thu Nov 03, 2005 6:23 pm

Yeah, that show was off the hook. I was suprised at the turn out, I didn't expect to see so many Denver fans in attendance.

I think the highlight for me was when the band played "Little L." :wink:
Just_Kendra81

Postby sinheart on Thu Nov 03, 2005 10:46 pm

Hey Jamirocat, I too was surprised from the vibe. I'm originally from NYC, but relocated to DC 6 weeks ago. Man, I couldn't believe they were playing in Dever & I was surprised at the positive vibe. I'm still on cloud 9. Little L and You Give Me Something were my favorites of the evening. Love Foolosophy was also awesome. My all time favorite is Picture of My Life. Maybe they'll do that one next time.
sinheart

Postby Fly Guy on Thu Nov 03, 2005 11:51 pm

I think the band was very happy with the Denver show. It's always hard to tell whether a band tells every city "you're the best," but it really did seem that JK and the band were astonished at times. Sometimes they would stop the show, stare at the audience, then look at each other and just laugh.

The crowd was bonkers. Everybody sang to (almost) every lyric, clapped or pumped their fists in exact cue at all the right moments, and it was one big LOVE FEST, hippies n' ravers and everyone in between. Per capita, I do not think you could have extracted more NRG from a crowd of only 1,000 to 1,500 people.

A great moment in particular was after Little L, when the crowd basically shut down the show for a minute or two, and JK and Harris and the keyboardist looked at each, and just couldn't believe the ROAR

Little L, and an amazing, very extended, improvising version of Dynamite were the highlights for me. Other great moments: Canned Heat, Alright, Love Foolosophy and Cosmic Girl.

I only wish JK had an oxygen tank so he could adjust to 6,000 feet and do his funky dance thang to the max.
Last edited by Fly Guy on Fri Nov 04, 2005 12:14 am, edited 2 times in total.
Fly Guy

Postby Fly Guy on Thu Nov 03, 2005 11:59 pm

JamUser111039 wrote:Does anyone have a setlist of this show?

In no particular order: Revolution, Space Cowboy, High Times, Cosmic Girl, Alright, Use the Force, Black Capricorn Day, Canned Heat, Love Foolosophy, Little L, You Give Me Something, Deeper Underground, a medly of various tracks,

and from the new album: Dynamite, 7 Days in Sunny June, and Love Blind

I think I'm missing a song or two.
Many songs were very extended
Fly Guy

Postby jamirocat on Fri Nov 04, 2005 12:23 am

haha! I like your review of the show Fly Guy. You think they'll come back for some more??? :)

I really was worried because when I was in line for tickets (the day they went on sale), I questioned people in line to see if anyone was there for the gig...nobody said Jamiroquai...the 2nd time I went, again, nobody was in line for Jamiroquai. I was worried it would be a sparse crowd and get cancelled even. What a wonderful surprise to walk in and see so many Jamiroquai fans in Denver. I think we should have a weekly gathering of cats in hats who share the love for the band. ANyone for it?
jamirocat
Supersonic

Postby Just_Kendra81 on Fri Nov 04, 2005 1:19 am

I'm up for it jamriocat! I had no idea there were that many Jamiroquai fans in Denver, seriously. I was so suprised! Jay actually winked at me during "Little L." :wink: Anyway, I found out that another girl in my class went too. I told her I didnt see her and she said she was in the back dancing! It's cool, how music can bring people together because I didnt know me and my classmates had something in common. Besides trying to graduate :lol:

Oh, the encore was Deeper Underground for fly guy. You nailed the set list though!
Just_Kendra81

Postby Fly Guy on Fri Nov 04, 2005 3:55 am

jamirocat wrote:haha! I like your review of the show Fly Guy. You think they'll come back for some more??? :)

I really was worried because when I was in line for tickets (the day they went on sale), I questioned people in line to see if anyone was there for the gig...nobody said Jamiroquai...the 2nd time I went, again, nobody was in line for Jamiroquai. I was worried it would be a sparse crowd and get cancelled even. What a wonderful surprise to walk in and see so many Jamiroquai fans in Denver.

I too was worried that the Fillmore was too big, but the turnout was really pretty good. And I think JK was serious when he said that Denver is always great. I mean, the North American tour = the Northeast, the West Coast, and Denver!!! There must be a reason they came here.

As for coming back, JK told New York that the band will be back in March, so I don't know if that means a 2nd leg to the tour, but I hope so. I'll be there. JAZZED!!! :lol:
Fly Guy

Postby JamUser111039 on Fri Nov 04, 2005 7:33 am

wow, that part about Little L sounds really good. I questioned why the badn would go to Denver, but the rowdy fans came out and that's always a positive thing. One of the few shows that ddin't sell out though (unless it did right before the show started ) :(
JamUser111039

Postby Fly Guy on Fri Nov 04, 2005 10:19 pm

JamUser111039 wrote:wow, that part about Little L sounds really good. I questioned why the badn would go to Denver, but the rowdy fans came out and that's always a positive thing. One of the few shows that ddin't sell out though (unless it did right before the show started ) :(

JamUser, were you at the show?

The Fillmore is a pretty big, general admission place. I think it can hold 3000 people +, and really big acts like Sting, Seal, Yes, Velvet Revolver, Audioslave, etc. have played there in recent years.

So I think the venue was too big for Jamiroquai, because unfortunately - not everyone has been dialed into the funky divine groove that is JK and co. I mean, I'm from the USA, but never heard Jamiroquai until I was working out in a gym in Malaysia (?!) in '97. Go figure. If I relied on US radio, etc., I never would have heard them.

That's the only reason it didn't sell out. A more appropriate venue would have been 1,500-person venues like Boulder Theater, The Ogden, Bluebird, etc., which would have sold out in minutes. I mean the Fillmore is at least twice the size of the House of Blues in Vegas (much smaller venue in much bigger city), which did sell out. Gee, I think the Fillmore is as big as the Wiltern in Los Angeles, which doesn't make any sense at all. It's a testament to the Colorado posse that so many high NRG fans were there.
Fly Guy

Postby jamirocat on Fri Nov 04, 2005 10:36 pm

ok, so when and where shall we meet for the post gig party??? :) I would love to meet some funky fans here. We need to take over a bar somewhere in town and get the dance on. I see Kendra's up for it....Kendra are you over 21?
jamirocat
Supersonic

Postby jamirocat on Fri Nov 04, 2005 11:06 pm

@Fly Guy, regarding the reason they came to Denver...I thought the same...there must be a reason. Maybe simply because it's in between Boston and Vegas? It sure wasn't to go boarding...they left too soon for Vegas. Viva! haha! Rob was talking about the long drive they had ahead of them...12 hours is nothing to us, but when it only takes you 3 hours to get from the West coast to the East coast of England, I can see how it seems like a lot.

regarding the Fillmore..I never knew Seal was there. I've seen Fiona Apple there and a few more I've forgotten already.
jamirocat
Supersonic

Postby Fly Guy on Sat Nov 05, 2005 1:51 am

jamirocat wrote:@Fly Guy, regarding the reason they came to Denver...I thought the same...there must be a reason. Maybe simply because it's in between Boston and Vegas? It sure wasn't to go boarding...they left too soon for Vegas. Viva! haha! Rob was talking about the long drive they had ahead of them...12 hours is nothing to us, but when it only takes you 3 hours to get from the West coast to the East coast of England, I can see how it seems like a lot.

regarding the Fillmore..I never knew Seal was there. I've seen Fiona Apple there and a few more I've forgotten already.

@Jamirocat, love the moniker. I might be down with a cocktail, as long as the setting is right. I like the Flow Lounge, but am always happy to check out new venues. As for being over 21, that won't be a problem for me - I'm about JK's age!

As for boarding - does JK ride? I know the Beasties do. I love boarding, big 'n fast 'n steep, I have a 182 Nitro swallow tail.
Fly Guy

Postby jamirocat on Sat Nov 05, 2005 3:58 pm

I've never heard of the Flow Lounge...so I looked it up. That's in the vicinity of the old Wazee club...or maybe it's in the same location...sounds good to me. What's the best night to go there? Do they play Jamiroquai?

Oh and yes, if you've seen the Light Years video, all the guys are boarding. They seem to be pretty good at it too. I've only been once, but I'll try it again given a proper lesson.
jamirocat
Supersonic

Postby Fly Guy on Sat Nov 05, 2005 7:34 pm

jamirocat wrote:I've never heard of the Flow Lounge...so I looked it up. That's in the vicinity of the old Wazee club...or maybe it's in the same location...sounds good to me. What's the best night to go there? Do they play Jamiroquai?

Oh and yes, if you've seen the Light Years video, all the guys are boarding. They seem to be pretty good at it too. I've only been once, but I'll try it again given a proper lesson.

Flow Lounge is in the Luna Hotel. Awesome visuals, strong cocktails, suave crowd.

Snowboarding is the closest I've ever come to being one with The Creator. But I'm powder guy as opposed to a park guy. I like it steep, deep and way above treeline.
Fly Guy

Postby jamirocat on Tue Nov 08, 2005 4:04 am

when ru going to flow? :)

i checked it out last night, but it was closed. Looks nice, though.
jamirocat
Supersonic

Postby Just_Kendra81 on Thu Nov 17, 2005 9:41 pm

Lol, yeah I'm over 21. Anyway, did you guys already meet or what?
Kendra
Just_Kendra81

Postby jamirocat on Fri Nov 16, 2007 4:01 pm

Well there's been no recent Denver concerts, so I had to re-live the show reading your posts here.

I didn't mention something before...but did anyone notice that at one point in the middle of the show, Jay seemed to be ...turned on? :oops: (I couldn't help but notice)
jamirocat
Supersonic

Return to Older Concert Reviews