Home
Jamiroquai

B-Live in London (3rd July)

Reviews and discussions about older concerts. Current concerts reviews and information should be posted to the 2009 section.

Postby mpgal on Mon Jul 04, 2005 12:31 am

Ok, just a quick post cos I'm sooo tired. But how good was their gig in London tonight (i mean yesterday!! hehe)? I was really impressed with the over 2hour long set...that was amazing. I was surprised they picked Deeper Underground to end with...but it was a really good choice cos it got the crowd jumping up and down which was sooo cool! They played a good set, and Jay was very good with the crowd!

If anyone wants to know the set list...here it is:

Canned Heat
Space Cowboy
Cosmic Girl
Revolution
Little L
Too Young to Die
Electric Mistress
Corner of the Earth
Music of the mind
Feels just like it Should
Love Foolosophy
Mr Moon
Dynamite
Butterfly
Use the Force
Seven days in Sunny June
Star Child
Alright
Virtual Insanity
Deeper Underground

I was geeky enough to keep track during the performance. Oooh, anyone else get photos? I'm tempted to post some up here sometime this week! Anyone get to the front? What did you all think of it?

That was the first time I'd ever got to see Jamiroquai...and it was worth waiting for! I've liked them for about 12 yrs now...and I was actually 10yrs old when I first heard Emergency on Planet Earth (and loved it then..)!!

SuZy. :)
(still hyper from gig!!)
mpgal

Postby dvayanos on Mon Jul 04, 2005 3:35 am

Awesome... and then some... 4.30 am and still on a high from it... jay was in fine form and showed everyone why we will always want him entertaining us... perfect... thank god they're back..!
dvayanos

Re: B-Live in London (3rd July)

Postby Clau-a.k.a-Lady-Kay on Mon Jul 04, 2005 4:04 am

Damn! I'd loooove to live in Europe right now!! ... I'm a huge fan since i was a little girl and I'd give anything just to be in a concert. I live in Peru and the nearest they've come is Argentina :( ...
Clau-a.k.a-Lady-Kay

Postby Denis on Mon Jul 04, 2005 9:05 am

Yep that was a bloody cool concert and Jamiroquai played amazingly again! Just love the way they play live.... songs seem to roll endlessly in a phunky melody full of build-ups. J-Kays voice was wicked as well, always impresses me with his live singing voice as so many artists' cant emulate their studio sound but these guys certainly can. Great stuff. Last time I saw them was in Sydney @ the hordern about 3 years ago.

Did anyone take any photos? Could you please post some up, I forgot to bring my digital camera :roll: and the set was so beautiful.

PS - loved it when the sun finally came out before it set.
Denis

Postby David on Mon Jul 04, 2005 9:26 am

There's one photo so far at funkin.com (click the thumbnail image on the homepage) and there will be lots more added soon....what a gig.
David
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby mpgal on Mon Jul 04, 2005 10:47 am

I'll post some up soon! I got quite a lot and a few video clips.

Does anyone know whether all the film crews were there for any other reason than broadcasting it on the main screens? (hoping for another dvd...!)

mpgal

OH MY GOD! What a stomper!

Postby princessgenna on Mon Jul 04, 2005 1:11 pm

Hello All,

dont normally ever post here, but after being blown away yesterday, think I might. I was at the front, well 2 rows from, any one see me the girl jumping around manically with the straw cowboy hat on...oppps (sorry if i stepped on anyones toes)

Anyway back to the posting, what a gig, 2nd time i've seen jamiroquai live and I must say Jay and the band just seem to get better with time. Although at the last london concert there was alot more costume (hat) changes, it didnt matter, having them not go off stage was even better, it meant we got too enjoy them for longer.

7 days in sunny june was fantastic, along with a few more of the new tracks, especially Dynamite, which is one of my faves of the album. Wish they would have done HOT TEQUILLA BROWN but you cant have them all can you.

But Thanks Guys for playing MR MOON! You rock and ending it all with DEEPER UNDERGROUND meant that the concert definitely ended on a high.

Thought all the guys looked well espeacilly JAY and nice to see that he walked of stage in pure Jay style with a ****** in hand!

Well best be off, Take care all and come back to LONDON soon guys! We missed you!

Genna xx

princessgenna

Postby princessgenna on Mon Jul 04, 2005 1:12 pm

oh and I got loads of photos too. so if I can i'll try and post them on this site of the funkin site.

GGxx
princessgenna

B-Live Clapham Common

Postby cocoa on Mon Jul 04, 2005 3:42 pm

Still buzzing, still hyped!! Jamiroquai totally ripped, tore and shred it up!
cocoa

Postby jamdown on Mon Jul 04, 2005 4:38 pm

Absolutely amazing! awesome. Was at work today, annoying everyone with my hyper self. It was so good i wanna cry! Jay is so sexy and has such a wonderful stage presence. Every song was amazing. Dynamite soundede great. What can i say....kinda lost for words. We were at the very front, right under Jay's nose. Met up wiv some of teh guys from the site! Love u guyz loads. Amazing, amazing, amazing.

Got loads of photos to post. will do soon.

All the band were fab. Paul Turner stole the show for me a lil bit. He was amazing. :D :D

Come back again soon.......
jamdown

Postby funky-mother on Mon Jul 04, 2005 10:22 pm

Just got to say I was absolutely blown away by yesterdays gig at clapham. Took my two sisters and a friend who had never seen jamiroquai before and they loved it!!! This must be my favourite out of all six I've been too.
Right atmosphere, wicked people and Fantastic sounds. The man himself singings like an angel and knows how to get the crowd going. Its such a shame that it had to finish at 9.00 but hey we had a great time. I look forward to taking my son to the next gig.
I'm also a big fan of the Brand new Heavies but had never seen them live. I had heard that they didn't play such good sets but that wasn't the case yesterday.
funky-mother

Postby Ezbe on Mon Jul 04, 2005 11:24 pm

Just a quickie, as I'm still hanging out with Angela and Heather and it's rather late! Yesterday's gig has to be one of the best I've been to in a long time, and I'm on 16 now!! I had such a wicked day, in fact a wonderful, brilliant, fantastic weekend. Live 8 was the Ice cream Sundae and Jami were the cherry on top. Sooooooo great to see all my Jamily friends again too, and meet lovely new people. I'm still buzzing!!

Love to all,

Ezbe
XXXX
Ezbe

Postby jamirocat on Tue Jul 05, 2005 12:10 am

:D Words cannot describe...but I will try....this was only my 3rd Jamiroquai concert and so far it was the best! I went with Little H, her son, Zuzi and MsP, who planned a meet up with the jamily. (That was another great part..meeting all the people on the forum that I've never met before....very cool people) If not for them, I would not have been sitting front row center. Nice one, girls. The band was so tight, Jay looked SO happy. The vibes ....incredible! The only concert I have ever been to that even compares to this would be an EWF show where the entire crowd danced the whole show. What else can I say...the new music is DYNAMITE!
jamirocat
Supersonic

Postby bel68 on Tue Jul 05, 2005 8:30 am

I agree with you jamirocat, Jay definitely looked very happy on Sunday. I also agree it was probably one of the best gigs i've seen them perform, unfortunately my sis and i stayed in the vip bar until 6.50 and couldn't get to the front (there was alot of hostility!!) so we were the furthest away from the band than we have ever been in 10 years!!! Bugger!
bel68

OH MY GOD!!!!

Postby Samuel on Tue Jul 05, 2005 11:56 am

:shock: Yes, I was there. How AMAZING was it! I've had a huge five mile smile on my face since. When will my jamiro-HIGH end?! I was fairly near the front, the beach ball JK booted into the crowd landed pretty near us! Highlights? So MANY! JK doing an acapella Mr. Moon to refresh himself on the lyrics...applauding the sun...the audible gasps when JK said he was now 36! Just too many to list. JK was on fire!! As were the rest of the band. Thank you thank you!!!

Also, I'd like to iterate a question above...will this thing be broadcast or were the cameras there just for the large screens! I NEED THIS FOOTAGE!

:twisted: (In honour of the devil balloon!)
Samuel

Postby svenny83 on Tue Jul 05, 2005 3:32 pm

Absolutely amazing gig - loved every minute of it! My first Jamiroquai gig, and I think it will be really difficult to top it too!

Great to meet some of you guys from the forum too. Hopefully by the time of my next gig (NEC, September) I will know you all a bit better on here!

Jamirocat - that EWF gig you mentioned. Are you talking about the Hammersmith one last year (the second of two nights)? If so, I was there too. Easily the best concert I've ever been to. What an atmosphere that night!!

Take care,

Stephen H
svenny83

Postby jamirocat on Tue Jul 05, 2005 4:22 pm

i'm confused...he'll be 36 in Dec...no?

Hi Stephen! Finally I'm glad to know the Cosmic Bear...fuzzy and warm. haha...
the EWF show was in Denver Colorado...don't ask me what year, because i don't remember. I won't forget this one though...London, 2005, Jamiroquai...
jamirocat
Supersonic

A concert review i found by the independant online

Postby jamdown on Tue Jul 05, 2005 4:30 pm

Jamiroquai, Clapham Common, London
Jay Kay has a right to swagger
By Ben Walsh
Published: 05 July 2005
Midway through Jamiroquai's first UK gig in three years, their front man, Jay Kay, informed us he'd been to "Sarajevo, Bosnia", that Donald Rumsfeld was a "proper crook", worse than Richard Nixon, and that "we have to get rid" of George W - not that, you understand, "all Yanks are bad". He also mumbled something about the Live8 concert the day before. It was an ill-conceived diatribe that served no discernible purpose and made no noticeable impression on the affluent, young, mainly female, beer-and-alcopop-swilling hordes.

Nevertheless, the majority of the 18,000 crowd appeared to appreciate the return of the diminutive eco-funkster in his obligatory silly (sorry, trendsetting - the man's a style icon, according to GQ) hat. This evening, he sported some preposterous shiny, Native American-style headgear. It may have been a reference to the band's moniker - which combines the name of a Native American tribe (the Iroquois) with "jam" (in the musical sense). You did worry, however, that the sharp points of the headpiece might have an eye out - but Kay, thankfully, kept a safe distance from his excellent band and three backing-singers.

Jamiroquai were the last act to bless the three-day B-Live weekend in south-west London - after the bland Brand New Heavies, Amy Winehouse and the inimitable Flavor Flav - and they were, by some distance, the star draw. Dynamite, their sixth album in 13 years, charted at No 3 last week, and is a slick, polished product laden with unsurprising, easy-on-the-ear retro-funk tracks.

However, it was one of the fatter and dirtier tracks that Jamiroquai opened with. "Electric Mistress" is redolent of Prince's filthy funk from the early 1980s, and it's none the worse for its unashamedly lascivious, slightly absurd, lyrics: "Pretty Polly's my electric mistress/ When she's freakin' like a maniac/ She's my aphrodisiac."

There was a great deal of this Prince-lite material that Kay bombarded us with. "Sugar spice/ I'm on the phone/ It feels good I need a little sexfunk right now/ I want you, I wanna lick you up and down," he exclaimed on the single "Feels Just Like It Should". He duly explained to us that the song is about the "sex", and quite frankly we could have done without Kay's "comic" interludes. At various points, he warbled on about the local council (for not allowing the gig to go on later than 9pm), his speeding offences (he was caught doing 111mph in 1998), and his old drug habit. It's this sort of baloney that gives the band a bad press and inspires an exceptional degree of vitriol - one paper ran a gig review under the headline "Prat in the Hat", and Blender magazine dubbed him "the white, talentless Stevie Wonder".

But if you're going to imitate anyone, Wonder's not a shabby role model, and the band's other influences are equally evident tonight - Earth, Wind and Fire, The Gap Band, Parliament, George Clinton, Jimmy Castor and Bootsy Collins. The funk is muscular and thumping throughout the evening, especially on the hits - "Little L", "Canned Heat", "Cosmic Girl" and "Deeper Underground". Kay had reason to swagger: his band sounded flawless and confident, and the crowd dutifully displayed a show of hands for their most successful track, "Virtual Insanity" from 1996's Travelling without Motion.

Ultimately, Jay Kay is an adroit, solid proposition live, even if his intensity is diminished by playing in a field. And for all Jay's Kay's wearisome banter at the crowd, you can't fault the Buckinghamshire millionaire for effort. At 35, his footwork is still fancy, and he leapt and swayed his flexible frame with unstinting vigour throughout the generous, two-and-a-quarter-hour set.

If you look beyond the obsession with cars, the unorthodox headgear and the clumsy, witless lyrics, you'll find some rather pleasing funk. It's not Stevie Wonder or even Prince, but at times it comes within touching-distance.

Midway through Jamiroquai's first UK gig in three years, their front man, Jay Kay, informed us he'd been to "Sarajevo, Bosnia", that Donald Rumsfeld was a "proper crook", worse than Richard Nixon, and that "we have to get rid" of George W - not that, you understand, "all Yanks are bad". He also mumbled something about the Live8 concert the day before. It was an ill-conceived diatribe that served no discernible purpose and made no noticeable impression on the affluent, young, mainly female, beer-and-alcopop-swilling hordes.

Nevertheless, the majority of the 18,000 crowd appeared to appreciate the return of the diminutive eco-funkster in his obligatory silly (sorry, trendsetting - the man's a style icon, according to GQ) hat. This evening, he sported some preposterous shiny, Native American-style headgear. It may have been a reference to the band's moniker - which combines the name of a Native American tribe (the Iroquois) with "jam" (in the musical sense). You did worry, however, that the sharp points of the headpiece might have an eye out - but Kay, thankfully, kept a safe distance from his excellent band and three backing-singers.

Jamiroquai were the last act to bless the three-day B-Live weekend in south-west London - after the bland Brand New Heavies, Amy Winehouse and the inimitable Flavor Flav - and they were, by some distance, the star draw. Dynamite, their sixth album in 13 years, charted at No 3 last week, and is a slick, polished product laden with unsurprising, easy-on-the-ear retro-funk tracks.

However, it was one of the fatter and dirtier tracks that Jamiroquai opened with. "Electric Mistress" is redolent of Prince's filthy funk from the early 1980s, and it's none the worse for its unashamedly lascivious, slightly absurd, lyrics: "Pretty Polly's my electric mistress/ When she's freakin' like a maniac/ She's my aphrodisiac."

There was a great deal of this Prince-lite material that Kay bombarded us with. "Sugar spice/ I'm on the phone/ It feels good I need a little sexfunk right now/ I want you, I wanna lick you up and down," he exclaimed on the single "Feels Just Like It Should". He duly explained to us that the song is about the "sex", and quite frankly we could have done without Kay's "comic" interludes. At various points, he warbled on about the local council (for not allowing the gig to go on later than 9pm), his speeding offences (he was caught doing 111mph in 1998), and his old drug habit. It's this sort of baloney that gives the band a bad press and inspires an exceptional degree of vitriol - one paper ran a gig review under the headline "Prat in the Hat", and Blender magazine dubbed him "the white, talentless Stevie Wonder".
But if you're going to imitate anyone, Wonder's not a shabby role model, and the band's other influences are equally evident tonight - Earth, Wind and Fire, The Gap Band, Parliament, George Clinton, Jimmy Castor and Bootsy Collins. The funk is muscular and thumping throughout the evening, especially on the hits - "Little L", "Canned Heat", "Cosmic Girl" and "Deeper Underground". Kay had reason to swagger: his band sounded flawless and confident, and the crowd dutifully displayed a show of hands for their most successful track, "Virtual Insanity" from 1996's Travelling without Motion.

Ultimately, Jay Kay is an adroit, solid proposition live, even if his intensity is diminished by playing in a field. And for all Jay's Kay's wearisome banter at the crowd, you can't fault the Buckinghamshire millionaire for effort. At 35, his footwork is still fancy, and he leapt and swayed his flexible frame with unstinting vigour throughout the generous, two-and-a-quarter-hour set.

If you look beyond the obsession with cars, the unorthodox headgear and the clumsy, witless lyrics, you'll find some rather pleasing funk. It's not Stevie Wonder or even Prince, but at times it comes within touching-distance.
jamdown

Another review on the "This is London" site

Postby jamdown on Tue Jul 05, 2005 4:33 pm

Much could have gone wrong at this three-day, open-air mini-festival. Ominous clouds continually threatened to turn the summer-party atmosphere into one of muddy misery; the second day of the event went head-to-head with the somewhat more widely publicised Live 8, and the main act at last night's show hadn't played in the capital for three years.

Look here too!

• Book now: VIP pop packages
• Buy now: Compare prices on hundreds of DVDs
• Search for more music reviews here

In the end, however, the organisers' luck held out, and headliners Jamiroquai were on top of their game as they made a capacity crowd scream, clap and dance on what was, by British standards at least, a warm, sunny evening.

B Live had begun on Friday with a night focused on Latin music, featuring the Spanish Harlem Orchestra.

Devoted to dance music, Saturday's all-day party included a performance from turntable virtuosos the Scratch Perverts as well as tech-house luminaries Layo & Bushwacka, and - at the top of the bill - a rare London appearance from the last of the trancey superstar DJs, Paul Oakenfold.

There was something about yesterday's leg of the event that was just so, well, Clapham.

As I watched affluent youngish professionals swaying to inoffensive performances from Amy Winehouse and the Brand New Heavies, while my feet were crushed by a ludicrously sturdy three-wheeled baby buggy, and spotted people reading newspapers in the hard-house tent, my meanspirited side was tempted to conclude that this was a festival for the kind of people who bought their CDs from petrol stations.

But as the day wore on and various intoxicating substances kicked in, the music - and the partygoers' attitudes - grew increasingly frisky.

The Bacardi B Bar tent offered a fantastic DJ set of quality vocal house music from Joey N! egro that had the tent sweaty, packed and rocking, with an impressive number of fists pumping the air.

So by the time Jay Kay leapt onstage and launched into a rendition of Space Cowboy that buzzed with funky energy, the people were ready to cut loose.

With crazy headgear and even crazier dancing skills, Kay gave the punters their money's worth, banging out hit after hit and provoking a huge reaction from the 10,000-strong crowd.

During Little L, even those standing half a mile from the stage were joining in with the song's complicated handclaps. Worked sensitively among the more famous material, tracks from Jamiroquai's new album, Dynamite, were also well received.

When the music took an unwelcome diversion into the more meandering side of jazz, things became rather flat. Nonetheless, Jay Kay served a timely reminder that behind his sports cars and occasionally obnoxious behaviour lies a truly brilliant performer who, after 14 years, remains on top of his game.
jamdown

Re: B-Live in London (3rd July)

Postby daniecal on Tue Jul 05, 2005 7:55 pm

Went to the concert and it was excellent. Have been too his last previous concert (Shepherds Bush, Wembley arena) . Had pass to VIP tent but was kicked out at the end as JK was coming in (Shame wanted to realy meet him)

Dan

mpgal wrote:Ok, just a quick post cos I'm sooo tired. But how good was their gig in London tonight (i mean yesterday!! hehe)? I was really impressed with the over 2hour long set...that was amazing. I was surprised they picked Deeper Underground to end with...but it was a really good choice cos it got the crowd jumping up and down which was sooo cool! They played a good set, and Jay was very good with the crowd!

If anyone wants to know the set list...here it is:

Canned Heat
Space Cowboy
Cosmic Girl
Revolution
Little L
Too Young to Die
Electric Mistress
Corner of the Earth
Music of the mind
Feels just like it Should
Love Foolosophy
Mr Moon
Dynamite
Butterfly
Use the Force
Seven days in Sunny June
Star Child
Alright
Virtual Insanity
Deeper Underground

I was geeky enough to keep track during the performance. Oooh, anyone else get photos? I'm tempted to post some up here sometime this week! Anyone get to the front? What did you all think of it?

That was the first time I'd ever got to see Jamiroquai...and it was worth waiting for! I've liked them for about 12 yrs now...and I was actually 10yrs old when I first heard Emergency on Planet Earth (and loved it then..)!!

(still hyper from gig!!)
:P
daniecal

God wears Adidas Gazelles

Postby davvy on Tue Jul 05, 2005 8:37 pm

:D I'm sorry if I offend anybody religious with my subject title, but I am still on a high from BLive. J is the most talented artist ever. The concert was more than 2 hours of sheer joy. As a long term Jamiroquai fan I was amazed to hear Mr Moon and Too young to Die and the crowd all singing Virtual Insanity together was magic. As usual, J engaged with the crowd and seemed genuinely happy.

The only downer was the attitude of the people at the front who seemed to begrudge anybody else going there. Surely this isn't the attitude Jamily people shoud have - rather nasty and aggressive. However the people nearer the back were very friendly.
davvy

Postby Craigston on Tue Jul 05, 2005 9:15 pm

6th time I've seen The Quai - blinding performance. Tight band and alternative arrangements from the last time they played - focussing on the funky end - a move away from the housey rhytmns of 2001 a funk odessey
Craigston

Postby jamdown on Tue Jul 05, 2005 10:21 pm

I'LL HAVE A GO.

jamdown

Postby MsP on Tue Jul 05, 2005 10:56 pm

Hi i've finished posting my photos and thoughts - http://msp1.blogspot.com/

Can I just say something about the review Jamdown has found and the comments about Live 8 - people DID listen - I think the majority of people there were against the Live 8 way - it was NOT the way to go. (no offence to anyone who went)

you see from this site that the "make poverty history org" is being plugged, I believe (and correct me if I'm wrong) - this is a different organisation to the Live 8 set-up - I believe Jamiroquai made a stand against playing at Live 8 and it wasn't anything to do with the concert the next day etc etc.

Also you will note that most of the London Live 8 performers are EMI artists or affillarites (cannot spell, but you know what i mean) - and going down that chain the money goes to countries who buy nuclear weapons.

You know what happened backstage at Live 8? The artists were given expensive guitars as gifts and lines of f***ing charlie - is this something to support????? It's all a f***ing ego-boost.

Sorry - had to rant...carry on enjoying the concert talk, it was amazing :) - but would be interested to hear other people's views on this.

The more I think about Live 8 - the more i rant about it. BUT B Live had a different message :) and Jamiroquai don't preach - just teach :D.

(sorry brain has gone - I'm going to sleep).
MsP
Supersonic

MsP's Review

Postby SarahMc on Wed Jul 06, 2005 9:28 am

Hi MsP/Jan
Just read your review and thought it was ace!
I am Sarah from the pub/2nd meet/lazy contingent of Jami fans. We are in admiration of your dedication! We nearly missed the gig because we were enjoying the dance tent so much. I blame those hardcore clubbers Mr & Mrs Rowe :D
It was nice to meet you in the pub afterwards.
Sarah x
SarahMc

Next

Return to Older Concert Reviews