Home
Jamiroquai

B-Live in London (3rd July)

Reviews and discussions about older concerts. Current concerts reviews and information should be posted to the 2009 section.

ok, so i'm picking up on the negative parts of the reviews..

Postby mpgal on Wed Jul 06, 2005 10:11 am

re. review from the Independent

Why do they always have to compare Jay Kay and Jamiroquai to Stevie Wonder? Oh and in this article, Prince? Why do they have to compare him to anyone?! It's annoying me now..I think Jay's style and music is far different to Stevie. Did you ever hear a song from Stevie Wonder with digeridoos...I think the band is far more original and talented than the press often claim.

other review: "When the music took an unwelcome diversion into the more meandering side of jazz, things became rather flat. "

Are they referring to the older music? Which is as good, if not better than the new more funky disco style stuff. The media/press can never fully praise an artist can they?!

The media give Jay a rough time. At the gig he was able to have his say and make a joke out of things which have happened to him...even this got a negative comment ("It's this sort of baloney that gives the band a bad press and inspires an exceptional degree of vitriol ")..what do they expect him to do...be passive? And unneeded comic interludes?? I thought he was very entertaining. I've been to so many gigs and the ones that I come away thinking "that was good" are most often the ones where the band interacted, told stories about the music and joked with the crowd. It makes the audience feel like the band actually gives a damn about their fans. If a band just gets up on a stage, plays a few songs and leaves without a word, it's a waste of time. Some of these journalists are so rubbish, I bet a lot of them don't even have any musical talent..what makes them so qualified to review bands..

ok. rant over. hehe. sorry!!

Yeah there are some good comments in the reviews. I know we're biased...but it was a very very good show jamiroquai put on and they work damn hard...so I just get angry when people don't see this!! I hope Jay and the rest of the band don't take as much notice as I did of these reviews..

SuZy. :)
mpgal

Re: A concert review i found by the independant online

Postby jamirocat on Wed Jul 06, 2005 11:50 am

It is obvious from this review that this guy Hates Jay! The way he says "he mumbled", and "He warbled" Don't be a hater, Ben Walsh! This miserable man was just looking for something to criticize and even had to alter the truth to do it. Who is this Ben Walsh guy and what was he on? I was completely sober at the concert, so I can give a clear view of the show. AND I am not affluent at all. Seemed to me, most the fans there I spoke to had saved up to go to the gig, and were regular, working class people, an equal mix of males and females. I have some Prince albums, and the songs sounded nothing like Prince. Also, Jay DID NOT "duly explain" that Feels Just like it should is about sex, he mentioned the CANDY MAN and said WHAT DO YOU THINK IT's about? What "comic" interludes is he talking about that he could have done without? Which concert did he go to? The one I went to was fun, with good vibing people...and the fans WANT to hear what Jay has to say. He had some funny quips which was a lot nicer than the stupid preaching of Flava (put the crack pipe down) Flav...or the "i'm so bored to be here" attitude of Amy WHINEhouse. OH, and he even criticizes the lyrics...which to me are sometimes mysterious, thoughtful, and sexy. The ONLY thing clumsy and witless is this review and the person who wrote it. Maybe he should review politics or something because a music reviewer should have some sort of interest and knowledge of music. :evil:
jamirocat
Supersonic

Postby jamirocat on Wed Jul 06, 2005 12:30 pm

LOL JAN! Am reading your very LOng blog....LOL where you had to run like the clappers.. and the bit about Chariots of Fire...haha...it was worth all that wasn't it?! YEAH! You have a memory for details girl! you should write a book or something.
jamirocat
Supersonic

Re: A concert review i found by the independant online

Postby mpgal on Wed Jul 06, 2005 1:13 pm

jamirocat wrote:It is obvious from this review that this guy Hates Jay! The way he says "he mumbled", and "He warbled" Don't be a hater, Ben Walsh! This miserable man was just looking for something to criticize and even had to alter the truth to do it. Who is this Ben Walsh guy and what was he on? I was completely sober at the concert, so I can give a clear view of the show. AND I am not affluent at all. Seemed to me, most the fans there I spoke to had saved up to go to the gig, and were regular, working class people, an equal mix of males and females. I have some Prince albums, and the songs sounded nothing like Prince. Also, Jay DID NOT "duly explain" that Feels Just like it should is about sex, he mentioned the CANDY MAN and said WHAT DO YOU THINK IT's about? What "comic" interludes is he talking about that he could have done without? Which concert did he go to? The one I went to was fun, with good vibing people...and the fans WANT to hear what Jay has to say. He had some funny quips which was a lot nicer than the stupid preaching of Flava (put the crack pipe down) Flav...or the "i'm so bored to be here" attitude of Amy WHINEhouse. OH, and he even criticizes the lyrics...which to me are sometimes mysterious, thoughtful, and sexy. The ONLY thing clumsy and witless is this review and the person who wrote it. Maybe he should review politics or something because a music reviewer should have some sort of interest and knowledge of music. :evil:

exactly.

And I was sober too.

mpgal

Re: MsP's Review

Postby MsP on Wed Jul 06, 2005 2:39 pm

SarahMc wrote:Hi MsP/Jan
Just read your review and thought it was ace!
I am Sarah from the pub/2nd meet/lazy contingent of Jami fans. We are in admiration of your dedication! We nearly missed the gig because we were enjoying the dance tent so much. I blame those hardcore clubbers Mr & Mrs Rowe :D
It was nice to meet you in the pub afterwards.
Sarah x

Hi Sarah :)

Haven't even got to the bit after the concert yet!! More typing tonight...sigh...

It was nice to meet you too, heard loads about you from Ez, so it was nice to meet you in the flesh at last.

Jan
x
MsP
Supersonic

Postby MsP on Wed Jul 06, 2005 2:42 pm

Ben Walsh was the guy with Carrot top I reckon - well said Jamirocat.

I only read the first part of the review last night and it got my back up.

I agree with your point about the affluent professionals, Ang, I had my work clothes on for heavens sake!!

Why did he even bother going "oh just to review it" - stupid man - if he should have spoken with "real" fans and written his article from their view point.

Well said little Miss Forgetful. x
MsP
Supersonic

Postby MsP on Wed Jul 06, 2005 2:45 pm

btw. is anyone else on a downer?

My voice has still gone - people had work said I could be charging a fortune for sex-chat right now! :D.
MsP
Supersonic

Postby jamdown on Wed Jul 06, 2005 5:48 pm

I think Jamiroquai are completely underrated and maybe we just have to accept that's the way it's going to be. So long as we still get pleasure out of what they do, to hell with these negative reviews. I think that many people have already made their minds up about Jamiroquai with their comments such as "the prat in the hat." If being a telented individual means he is a prat, then PRAT ON!!

I really commend jay for his "comic interludes" and think, whereas many performers come across as nervous, Jay seemed completely relaxed, so much so that he did not mind making a "prat" of himself in front of 18,000 people. I found his silly jokes calming and they also served as links to the next song.

As for the references to Stevie wonder, as a total Stevie fan, i can see that Jay obviously is influenced by Stevie. Jay (along with many singers of recent centuries) does acknowledge Stevie Wonder as well as many others, as an influence. However, Stevie Wonder is a completely different kind of performer and what Jamiroquai do is of a completely different genre. In my opinion, they do not mimic Stevie at all. There are differnt instruments used by both performers and very different voices. In addition, i bet Stevie wonder would appreciate Jamiroquai a whole lot more than these reporters who perhaps dont know as much about music as they would like to think they do.

Jay gave and gave and gave at the concert and I'm sure that no one with an interest in Jamiroquai were disappointed. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but i wish they would come up with something new to say instead of harping on and on about the same old thing. Perhaps if they closed their eyes and listened, they'd have more positive things to report.
jamdown

Postby Sharon on Wed Jul 06, 2005 7:27 pm

SarahMc wrote:I blame those hardcore clubbers Mr & Mrs Rowe :D

Oh so harsh! It must be our age...we used to dance to those "choons" in our youth ;) It was a great tent though!

Bloody brilliant day, had such a great time...sad it's all over :(

Jan, your blog was fab - but I am pretty sure I never said your shoes were "tarty"...perhaps "floozy shoes" or "trollopy"...!! :wink:

Sharon
-----------------------------
www.funkin.com
Sharon

BLive....B****y Amazing!!

Postby Dynamite Dave on Wed Jul 06, 2005 9:45 pm

Three days later and I'm still on a high. Thanks for making me feel this way Jay.

Managed to get to the front @ BLive.... fourth time I've seen Jamiroquai and they delivered yet again.

Jay, the general music press don't know diddly, Dynamite is one of your best yet - truly it has blown me away (and why were you concerned about the reception that the new tracks would get from the crowd @ Clapham Common?!) To my mind sheer genius. Keep the faith and keep the party music coming....

DYNAMITE!! 8)
Dynamite Dave

Postby Ezbe on Wed Jul 06, 2005 10:10 pm

Nowadays I expect nothing but sloppy sarcasm from the press concerning Jamiroquai. They've never respected them and they never will. Lazy journalism at its best (or worst).

That gig was musically one of the best I've been to, and a great indicator of what a long standing, hard working band are capable of. SOD THE PRESS!

Jan's blog is fantastic, but it don't half make my eyes hurt reading white against black for so long!

Life is good, isn't it? "Everything is wonderful, being here is heavenly"

Ezbe
XXXX 8)
Ezbe

Postby Ezbe on Wed Jul 06, 2005 10:12 pm

MsP wrote:My voice has still gone - people had work said I could be charging a fortune for sex-chat right now! :D.

Isn't that what you said about Bear? Maybe you and him could go into business together!

LOL
Ezbe

Postby mpgal on Thu Jul 07, 2005 12:29 pm

jamdown wrote:I think Jamiroquai are completely underrated and maybe we just have to accept that's the way it's going to be. So long as we still get pleasure out of what they do, to hell with these negative reviews. I think that many people have already made their minds up about Jamiroquai with their comments such as "the prat in the hat." If being a telented individual means he is a prat, then PRAT ON!!

I really commend jay for his "comic interludes" and think, whereas many performers come across as nervous, Jay seemed completely relaxed, so much so that he did not mind making a "prat" of himself in front of 18,000 people. I found his silly jokes calming and they also served as links to the next song.

As for the references to Stevie wonder, as a total Stevie fan, i can see that Jay obviously is influenced by Stevie. Jay (along with many singers of recent centuries) does acknowledge Stevie Wonder as well as many others, as an influence. However, Stevie Wonder is a completely different kind of performer and what Jamiroquai do is of a completely different genre. In my opinion, they do not mimic Stevie at all. There are differnt instruments used by both performers and very different voices. In addition, i bet Stevie wonder would appreciate Jamiroquai a whole lot more than these reporters who perhaps dont know as much about music as they would like to think they do.

Jay gave and gave and gave at the concert and I'm sure that no one with an interest in Jamiroquai were disappointed. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but i wish they would come up with something new to say instead of harping on and on about the same old thing. Perhaps if they closed their eyes and listened, they'd have more positive things to report.

Well said.

Underrated they are...but I suppose the fact that they aren't over-exposed is a good thing. The press are good at building celebrities up just to pull them down again...they're evil!! hehe.

mpgal

Funk Junky's

Postby Miz77 on Thu Jul 07, 2005 8:10 pm

Hi ya funk junky's,

Im the girl who passed out ('THANX FROM A BRUMMIE BIRD' thread).

Not only that I now have a cough & cold...but it was all worth it.

Truly the best outdoor event Ive been to on so many levels.

My smile is still beaming (unlike my bank balance :lol: )

Im with Jay on the age thing but he sure knows how to bring out the 'yoot' in me.

I was surprised at tracks played but thought they were fandabbi-f*ckin-dossi. 'Corner Of The Earth' is a personal fav of mine as I have a fond memory of being on a beach in Alcapulco listening to it 8)

I met the coolest people there with hearts as big as mine...

(thump,thump,thump..."skips a beat", thump)
Miz77

Postby Saffy7 on Fri Jul 08, 2005 4:52 pm

Hey!

Time for my review! I think I'll keep it short and sweet though as I agree with what most of you have already said!

The B-Live Festival was simply unforgettable and the experience will stay with me forever.

For me, it was the first time I had ever seen Jamiroquai perform live and I was lost for words (literally...that'll teach me to sing along to Jay!). They performed some of my favourite tracks...Butterfly, Cosmic Girl and Starchild, during their 2 hour set...I was in heaven! It was just a shame that it had to end :cry:

Claire.x.

P.S. A big HI goes out to everyone I met during the day...I hope to see you all again soon!
Saffy7

First time seeing the 'quai, in 13 years of being a fan

Postby BigAndy on Sun Jul 10, 2005 1:05 pm

A few things

- The day itself. Jay and the band were FAN - ***KIN - TASTIC. I'm glad to hear for the other fans here that have seen the band before that this is the best they have seen, and this is the happiest they have ever seen Jay. I met him last summer at the Goodwood Festival of Speed, and he was proper pissed off with getting hassled! He looked so much happier last Sunday, it was good to see. But forget that - the vibe, the crowd feeding off the band and vice versa, was what will stick in my mind forever. So often I feel real isolated in my support for the band, but hearing 18000 other voices singing along while I was gave me a feeling of so much love... thank you all! I have had a 'Five Mile Smile' all week... until Thursday (my condolences to anyone affected... so sad).

- The Brand New Heavies and Us3 were also absolutely on it... although the Heavies didn't really engage the crowd. I am worried for Amy Winehouse. There seems to be nothing left of her, I'm sure she never used to be so thin, and she was on such a downer - her self esteem seemed to be shot to bits. Everyone up the front around me were trying to big her up, but she was having none of it.

- David from Funkin.com (Hi Man) has stuck the few decent pics I got on his site on the Live Photo Gallery (from the looks of things, Emma was really near where I was in the crowd - just off to the right, and about 4 from the front)

- Ben Walsh from the Indy needs to take his headout of his a***. I read that review and was so bloody angry. Did he REALLY go to the same gig I went to? Go to Funkin.com to find the link to the review The Times gave.... much more real and true appraisal.

- Jamiroquai is JAMIROQUAI! Sure they have influences, but as well as being into Mr Kay, I am a Prince fan, a Stevie fan, a Lenny Kravitz fan, even a Daft Punk fan... and Jamiroquai have an original and different sound from all of them, yeah its in the same ballpark, but thats because they all have THE FUNK! Anyone who has the Late Night Tales CD can get a glimpse where Jay is coming from, no Stevie on there :P

Andy
BigAndy

Postby MsP on Mon Jul 11, 2005 3:21 pm

Sharon wrote:
SarahMc wrote:I blame those hardcore clubbers Mr & Mrs Rowe :D

Oh so harsh! It must be our age...we used to dance to those "choons" in our youth ;) It was a great tent though!

Bloody brilliant day, had such a great time...sad it's all over :(

Jan, your blog was fab - but I am pretty sure I never said your shoes were "tarty"...perhaps "floozy shoes" or "trollopy"...!! :wink:

Sharon
-----------------------------
www.funkin.com

did you not say they were "tarty" in the lift at Covent Garden?????? But floozy or trollopy is just as good ty, a great compliment :D
MsP
Supersonic

Postby MsP on Mon Jul 11, 2005 3:23 pm

Anyone else have B Live blues?????

However it's only 6 weeks to Birmingham :D
MsP
Supersonic

Postby Miz77 on Mon Jul 11, 2005 4:17 pm

Whats this I hear about Birmingham?

D'ya mean theres more...and nearer home
Miz77

Postby Saffy7 on Tue Jul 12, 2005 9:03 pm

MsP wrote:Anyone else have B Live blues?????

Hey!

Most definately...I'm suffering with B-Live withdrawal symptoms :(

Wish I was going to see them in Birmingham, but I can't afford to see them again this year (unless I find a well-paid full-time job in the next few weeks) :cry:

There's always hope I suppose...

Claire.x.
Saffy7

Postby MsP on Wed Jul 13, 2005 5:57 am

Miz77 wrote:Whats this I hear about Birmingham?

Hi Miz77 - you are the lady who fainted????

When we were jumping up and down to "use the force" I knocked my elbow on the railing - I started to panic, I hadn't eaten all day (apart from one chip and one chewy sweet) and I felt myself go a little dizzy - to faint was my worst fear! (i did it once in Tescos and it wasn't a pleasant experience!) - so I feel for you! BUT great ruse to try and get backstage or something!

Birmingham's September 7th. I don't know if there's any tickets left, http://www.seetickets.com/sjmmaj/index.asp - try that link.

I'd love to go to one of the Europe concerts - Lille would be quite good, it's only a short hop over and I think you can get the Eurostar straight through.
MsP
Supersonic

Postby MsP on Wed Jul 13, 2005 6:02 am

Saffy7 wrote:
MsP wrote:Anyone else have B Live blues?????

Hey!

Most definately...I'm suffering with B-Live withdrawal symptoms :(

Wish I was going to see them in Birmingham, but I can't afford to see them again this year (unless I find a well-paid full-time job in the next few weeks) :cry:

There's always hope I suppose...

Claire.x.

Hey Saffy,

I'll check out the medication available for withdrawal symptons - maybe we have to take 3 doses of Dynamite daily with a big shot of Virtual Insanity :D.

At the beginning of the year I didn't think I'd get to go to one concert and look what's happened! So have positive thoughts - think "I will get a good job" - there's still 6 weeks to go - AND maybe we'll get another London date announced nearer Christmas.

At the beginning of the year I told Mari that Jamiroquai would be playing South America in October - I did it as a sort of prediction - no inside knowledge - now Brazil's been announced in this month - I'll go and meditate and see what I can see happening for you!!! :D. (oh dear I'm going nuts)

Was good to see you at B Live, you are so pretty! I recognised your friend from somewhere :S.

Jan
xx
MsP
Supersonic

Postby Luane on Wed Jul 13, 2005 11:42 am

MsP wrote:

At the beginning of the year I told Mari that Jamiroquai would be playing South America in October - I did it as a sort of prediction - no inside knowledge - now Brazil's been announced in this month -
Jan
xx

:arrow: fingers crossed! :wink:

*Luane*
Luane

Postby Miz77 on Wed Jul 13, 2005 1:33 pm

MsP wrote:
Miz77 wrote:Whats this I hear about Birmingham?

Hi Miz77 - you are the lady who fainted????

When we were jumping up and down to "use the force" I knocked my elbow on the railing - I started to panic, I hadn't eaten all day (apart from one chip and one chewy sweet) and I felt myself go a little dizzy - to faint was my worst fear! (i did it once in Tescos and it wasn't a pleasant experience!) - so I feel for you! BUT great ruse to try and get backstage or something!

Birmingham's September 7th. I don't know if there's any tickets left, http://www.seetickets.com/sjmmaj/index.asp - try that link.

I'd love to go to one of the Europe concerts - Lille would be quite good, it's only a short hop over and I think you can get the Eurostar straight through.

Maybe there was more than one person who passed out at Clapham?...I didnt make it to the front. It was all bizarre. I came over all funny, tingly fingers and cheeks. I turned around to my fiance to say I felt dodge...flumped into his arms. The girl next to us said sit her down. I sat. The blood circulated back to my brain. Everyone around me was passing me water and fanning me down with their Southport weekend flyers. They were all so nice. I only missed the last 2 numbers. But kept trying desperately to get back up to see the finale. Just couldnt do it. Kept going dizzy again. Wounded. Totally wounded!

I too wanna do another JK gig this year. Were tryna go to La Tomatina festival in Spain this year so the gig in Malaga is our best bet but the timing is all wrong. Worsed case scenario we'll go to NEC again, but fear this will by no means match up to the Clapham experience...whats a girl to do, I dunno?
Miz77

Postby Saffy7 on Wed Jul 13, 2005 6:43 pm

MsP wrote:Hey Saffy,

I'll check out the medication available for withdrawal symptons - maybe we have to take 3 doses of Dynamite daily with a big shot of Virtual Insanity :D.

At the beginning of the year I didn't think I'd get to go to one concert and look what's happened! So have positive thoughts - think "I will get a good job" - there's still 6 weeks to go - AND maybe we'll get another London date announced nearer Christmas.

At the beginning of the year I told Mari that Jamiroquai would be playing South America in October - I did it as a sort of prediction - no inside knowledge - now Brazil's been announced in this month - I'll go and meditate and see what I can see happening for you!!! :D. (oh dear I'm going nuts)

Was good to see you at B Live, you are so pretty! I recognised your friend from somewhere :S.

Jan
xx

Hey!

Well, I'm not the most optimistic of people, but if that's what it will take to get me to another Jamiroquai concert this year, I will try my best to think positively from now on! Just be sure to let me know the results of your meditation! :wink:

Claire.x.

P.S. It's very likely you've seen both my friend, Amelia, and myself before...we both live near Chichester! :D
Saffy7

PreviousNext

Return to Older Concert Reviews