Home
Jamiroquai

New bassist is good!

The members of Jamiroquai. Talk about their musical styles, techniques, instruments...

New bassist is good!

Postby djjay on Thu May 19, 2005 2:16 pm

Hey, just wanted to say that, based on the latest samples I heard (found on funkin.com -> download), the new bassist Paul Turner is good. Definitively better than Nick Fyffe was. Paul has an excellent groove, and although I have no idea if someone will ever be as good (or better) than Stuart was, this new guy is making me appreciate Jamiroquai for the first time again in years. What d'you think?
djjay

Postby highhat on Thu May 19, 2005 2:23 pm

yeh man just listened to him, he really is pretty good
especially loving the grooves on return of the space cowboy!
highhat

=D

Postby troll on Thu May 19, 2005 5:09 pm

He was george michael bassplayer ...

:P

SURE that she play VERY GOOD. ahahhah =D

yeahhhhhhh keep on gro0ve paul , keep jam. on interplanetary good vibes :P
troll

Re: New bassist is good!

Postby FunkEducation on Thu May 19, 2005 7:25 pm

djjay wrote:...the new bassist Paul Turner is good. Definitively better than Nick Fyffe was...

no way!!!! paul is a great bassist... but never better than Nick... Nick is a bass master and paul is.... Paul! heheheh, and, Nick is not better than Stuart.... impossible, but he's a great bassist too.... :wink:
FunkEducation

Postby djjay on Thu May 19, 2005 11:00 pm

I don't agree! So let's be constructive and analyse: I didn't appreciate Nick so much for the following two reasons:
- Nick's groove was poor. It was sufficient to play old tunes, but it didn't bring anything new. I always felt that Nick and Derrick where not quite grooving together
- The live bits where Nick is alone (with or without the drums) were crap. No real solos, no extras, and sometimes just about in the tempo (slowing down sometimes).

And I think that Paul masters this two "difficulties" ... That's my analysis
djjay

Postby FunkEducation on Fri May 20, 2005 3:24 am

djjay wrote:I don't agree! So let's be constructive and analyse: I didn't appreciate Nick so much for the following two reasons:
- Nick's groove was poor. It was sufficient to play old tunes, but it didn't bring anything new. I always felt that Nick and Derrick where not quite grooving together
- The live bits where Nick is alone (with or without the drums) were crap. No real solos, no extras, and sometimes just about in the tempo (slowing down sometimes).

And I think that Paul masters this two "difficulties" ... That's my analysis

ok, i agree that nick sounded crap in the old songs (after hearing them with Stu they really sound crappy with Nick... for example: Travelling Without Moving...)
but in the other hand, paul sounds crappy too... for example in cosmic girl at Jay's House... he sounded so slow in the beggining of the song... and i remember that in Verona, Nick did a nice intro in Cosmic Girl.... and the same goes for Canned Heat...
and, Nick's a bass master and proffesor... so he teachs bass... he has to be so good.... he is...
i don't know but i like Nick more than this new guy...
give your comments...
FunkEducation

Postby troll on Wed May 25, 2005 10:32 pm

well ... i love nick fyffe but ...

i don´t know , i never listened to paul before ...

lets wait ... hear , and give our conclusions:D
troll

Postby Kay_Odyssey on Thu May 26, 2005 7:33 pm

I feel you on that one Troll i love Nick Fyffe too!
But i'm all ears for new one....
Kay_Odyssey

Postby High_Times on Thu May 26, 2005 8:02 pm

i think paul turner is a cool great musician with his own style, sound and vibe. 8)

i want to know more about him so i tried to find an interview with him but all

in vain. 8)
High_Times
Supersonic

Postby cheeeba lover on Fri May 27, 2005 8:20 am

when you gonna learn..Stu Zender is the best bassist that jamiroquai will ever have,and in general he has reputation all over the world as one of the best bassists;

the difference between paul turner and stu zender...
stu was there when the jamiroquai albums were in the stages of recording and writting,and he improvised alot and jay gave him much space because of his brilliant ideas and talent,and paul turner is just a bassist who is following orders from jay kay how to play..i am not saying that he isnt good,but not brilliant as st..st..stt..stuuuu zender 8)
cheeeba lover
Supersonic

Postby AbouMoslem on Fri May 27, 2005 1:24 pm

cheeeba lover wrote:when you gonna learn..Stu Zender is the best bassist that jamiroquai will ever have,and in general he has reputation all over the world as one of the best bassists;

the difference between paul turner and stu zender...
stu was there when the jamiroquai albums were in the stages of recording and writting,and he improvised alot and jay gave him much space because of his brilliant ideas and talent,and paul turner is just a bassist who is following orders from jay kay how to play..i am not saying that he isnt good,but not brilliant as st..st..stt..stuuuu zender 8)

let's face it, times have changed...
AbouMoslem
Supersonic

Postby cheeeba lover on Fri May 27, 2005 9:22 pm

yes very true,but it doesnt mean that it will be better..in fact it wont;
cheeeba lover
Supersonic

Postby FunkEducation on Sat May 28, 2005 4:09 am

cheeeba lover wrote:yes very true,but it doesnt mean that it will be better..in fact it wont;

yeh i agree with you guys!
FunkEducation

Postby Jester_z99 on Sat Jun 04, 2005 10:26 am

I haven't had the pleasure of seeing Jamiroquai live, but I can safely say that Stuart is hands-down the best bass player on any of the Jamiroquai albums. Scam is possibly one of the BEST bass grooves I've ever heard in my 13 years of playing the bass.

I think Stuart's best quality was being able to lock into a groove but then add little riffs here and there that really brought the bass to the front. I love his playing and Jamiroquai will never be the same now that he's gone. I liked Nick Fyffe's stuff too, but it definitely didn't have the same flavor as Stuart.
Jester_z99

Re: New bassist is good!

Postby Turcajamiroca on Tue Jun 07, 2005 12:01 am

FunkEducation wrote:
djjay wrote:...the new bassist Paul Turner is good. Definitively better than Nick Fyffe was...

no way!!!! paul is a great bassist... but never better than Nick... Nick is a bass master and paul is.... Paul! heheheh, and, Nick is not better than Stuart.... impossible, but he's a great bassist too.... :wink:

Nick better than Paul? Do you have wax in your ears? haha. Nick never played anything good. AFO was all machine, not even one bass line. He was a Jami's cover musician, that was all.

Kisses to all
Noe
Turcajamiroca

Postby djodjo on Wed Jun 22, 2005 1:25 pm

I have to (no! MUST) say to you, to all fans, that PAUL TURNER is GREAT, FRESH, DINAMIC and ...... HEAR IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! In Budapest he played fantastic, fantastic tunes in MR. moon, EOPE (I'm in the hyperspace), alright, revolution...........

Let' s hear, watch, and FEEEL his harmony! Welcome Paul!
djodjo
Supersonic

Postby Bass_Pheonix on Fri Jun 24, 2005 4:53 am

I've been a bassplayer for a while now and i'd have to agree that Stuart Zender is easily the best bassplayer Jamiroquai has had. Having said that though i reckon Nick Fyfe could hold a groove and he had a good sounding style (and an awesome bass :lol: ). Haven't heard much of the new dude to be honest - i wouldn't say Nick Fyfe is crap for a solo though - you can't expect the guy to play like Stanley Clarke or Mark King or Jaco - lets face it, as Jamiroquai has gone along, it's become more commercial and electric (maybe to suit the times) and its not necessary (although cooooool) to have a bassplayer like Stu anymore - you just got to have a tight one, to keep things together. Go listen to the First 2 albums and then check out the last 2... Times they are a changin - but the love for Jamiroquai's grooves has not!
Bass_Pheonix

Paul Turner

Postby jamdown on Tue Jul 05, 2005 5:06 pm

Can't state from a professional pov but i went to B Live on Sunday and paul stole part of the show for me. (Watch out, Jay!) He was fantastic. Well done, Cutie pie! Dont feel the need to say who was better out of him and stuart z. as slightly different kind of sound. Both good. Never heard stuart z. live either.
jamdown

Postby myasia on Mon Aug 01, 2005 7:01 am

yeah the new sound has me groovin all over :roll:
myasia
Space Cowboy

Postby Pa_! on Sun Feb 19, 2006 7:50 pm

Hi! First post in Jamiroquiai ´s forum.

I think Paul turner is a great player.. Stuart Z is the Jam" of jamiroquai..it is not the same with other player---

ey! What do you think about Dirk Lance.. EX Incubus bass player, he would sound great in that band, dont you think?
Pa_!

Postby myasia on Mon Feb 20, 2006 2:06 am

WELCOME! :o Pa_!
myasia
Space Cowboy

Postby goldmember on Thu Feb 23, 2006 9:38 pm

Stu Zender is master!!!!!!
Paul is very good, he's enjoying in JAMIROmusic,always laughing....
goldmember
Space Cowboy

Postby DJ Romeo on Thu Feb 23, 2006 10:41 pm

Wow, where did this post come from?
DJ Romeo
Mr Moon

Postby myasia on Fri Feb 24, 2006 8:02 pm

DJ Romeo wrote:Wow, where did this post come from?

lol it's been here, just dead lol :lol:
myasia
Space Cowboy

Rio de Janeiro Presentation!

Postby raphaeltaranto on Mon Mar 27, 2006 5:05 am

Ok, we all have to face it: Paul Turner is quite new in the band and It will take a time before he can have his own space and prove his qualities on the record sessions...

In my opinion he had already prove it. After their presentation in Brazil, I had to face it!
It was an amazing presentation of a incredible band with a wonderfull bassist!

He changed the bass line some times, with a precision preformance, and never let the original performance got lost at all.

It was incredible! The hole crew plays perfect, but as a bass player I focused on Paul Turner performance during the show...

He knows how to cute the notes and restart grooving perfectly, without blank spaces, sounding really incredible.

The songs I liked most in this show were space cowboy, Black Capricorn day and seven days in sunny june.

I also had the unique opportunity to talk to them after the show, and now I'm not only fan of the band, but also fan of the musicians themselves.
(I say unique, 'cause here in Brazil It's very dificulty to have good presentations and harder is the chance to talk to the musicians we admire)

I will post the photos at my fotolog, if somebody to want to see how was the presentation, take a look there: "fotolog.net/rtaranto"
raphaeltaranto

Next

Return to The Band