Home
Jamiroquai

PAUL TURNER

The members of Jamiroquai. Talk about their musical styles, techniques, instruments...

PAUL TURNER

Postby Sandriche on Thu Aug 10, 2006 5:32 pm

i just was watching "travelling without moving "-North Sea Jazz Festival 2006 in Rotterdam ...

he is really an amazing bass player and doesn´t get the appreciation yet he would earn...
just listen to that , especially the beginning..TERRIFIC!!!

:arrow: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dkQvi0LAdh4
Sandriche

Postby Cosmic Glob on Thu Aug 10, 2006 8:40 pm

I agree! Paul is fantastic!!! :D :D :D
At Lovebox when TWM started did you also get a really funky 'OMG :D :shock: :D :D ' feeling swelling up inside you?? :D :D
Cosmic Glob

Postby Sandriche on Thu Aug 10, 2006 8:45 pm

yes..it was just amazing to see how they do it live...i mean..u hear the sound out coming of your pc or your ipod 8) ..but live is just THE experience...i always tried to catch on which frets they (paul and rob) played at beginning and so on...bit it´s impossible...its too fast..they are everywhere on their instruments :D :D
Sandriche

Postby troll on Tue Aug 22, 2006 9:11 pm

nice job paul
Last edited by troll on Sat Dec 08, 2007 5:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
troll

Postby FunkEducation on Tue Aug 22, 2006 10:28 pm

troll wrote:paul its a GREAT bassist , that´s for shure ... but ...

LOOK at mr.zender bass lines IMPROVISATIONS , SLAPS and TECHNICS

i loved that mate!!!
well said! Paul Turner is a great bassist, but he's just playing the basical bass line... i dunno... i JUST LOVE ZENDER xD
FunkEducation

Postby troll on Wed Aug 23, 2006 1:13 am

hmm
Last edited by troll on Sat Dec 08, 2007 5:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
troll

Postby FunkEducation on Wed Aug 23, 2006 4:28 am

troll wrote:"Paul Turner is a great bassist, but he's just playing the basical bass line"

Said all !

amazing! i added you at msn!
see you around there"!!!
FunkEducation

Postby Jamisther on Tue Sep 19, 2006 4:03 pm

Paul?...mhm...how to describe him?...EXCEPTIONNEL? it's not enough...lol
I was in front of him at the FESTIVAL du GAOU...i can't forget his smile and his look!
Many kisses, see u soon...i hope!lol
Jamisther
Supersonic

Postby troll on Wed Oct 04, 2006 3:24 am

I was front of him too on 24 march 2006 show , here in brazil - São Paulo

he´s a nice guy ... very smiling face and etc , good bassist

but ... read up to know what i think about him basslines
troll

Postby Jamisther on Wed Oct 04, 2006 3:50 am

:(
Jamisther
Supersonic

Postby troll on Mon Nov 20, 2006 2:02 am

yeahhhhhhhhhhhhh i changed my opinion , paul really have the feeeling ! he´s a fucking good bassist dude ...

listen the jazz cafe show OOOOOOO MY GOD AMAZING !

BUT I STILL DON´T LIKE THE music man sound :P LOL
troll

Postby aldav45 on Tue Nov 21, 2006 4:51 am

yeah this is why you changed your opinion troll
http://www.jamirotalk.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5958

:roll: :roll:
aldav45

Postby Dancing Piano on Tue Nov 21, 2006 1:54 pm

troll wrote:yeahhhhhhhhhhhhh i changed my opinion , paul really have the feeeling ! he´s a fucking good bassist dude ...

Again I understand '' rubbish '' . My old language problem .
What is ''plz'' ? What is '' musicman '' ? :)
Dancing Piano
Supersonic

Postby FunkEducation on Tue Nov 21, 2006 6:43 pm

Dancing Piano wrote:
troll wrote:yeahhhhhhhhhhhhh i changed my opinion , paul really have the feeeling ! he´s a fucking good bassist dude ...

hahaha WOW!
PLZ means PLEASE, you need a bit of common sense...
music man is this

and here's our hero playing it:

i prefer Fender but he sounds really amazing with musicman!
FunkEducation

Postby Jamisther on Wed Nov 22, 2006 11:08 am

I really like him...he's a great bassiste and so cut...
Jamisther
Supersonic

Postby Dancing Piano on Sat Nov 25, 2006 2:49 pm

FunkEducation wrote:
Dancing Piano wrote:

hahaha WOW!

Common sense ? Indeed ...used it . Rather scary ,that .
I didn't put it there .Hope , noone with a rope or a knife . :lol: :lol: :lol:
music man is this

and here's our hero playing it:

Dancing Piano
Supersonic

Postby Jester_z99 on Wed Nov 29, 2006 8:54 am

None of the bass players after Stuart have measured up to his ability. I've only seen Paul Turner live so I can't speak for his live performance vs. Stuart's and Nick's. He played very proficiently when I saw Jamiroquai, but his slap did sound terrible on Alright (although I think that was mainly because of the settings on his bass and amp more than his technique).

Nonetheless, Stuart's bass is superior on every album he's on. Most of the Jamiroquai tracks with standout and memorable bass lines belong to Stuart. The one exception that comes to mind is Don't Give Hate A Chance, which isn't Paul but Derrick McIntyre.
Jester_z99

Postby FunkEducation on Tue Dec 05, 2006 5:42 pm

Jester_z99 wrote:None of the bass players after Stuart have measured up to his ability. I've only seen Paul Turner live so I can't speak for his live performance vs. Stuart's and Nick's. He played very proficiently when I saw Jamiroquai, but his slap did sound terrible on Alright (although I think that was mainly because of the settings on his bass and amp more than his technique).

Nonetheless, Stuart's bass is superior on every album he's on. Most of the Jamiroquai tracks with standout and memorable bass lines belong to Stuart. The one exception that comes to mind is Don't Give Hate A Chance, which isn't Paul but Derrick McIntyre.

that's the comment of the day! keep on groovin'
and viva Stu Zender
FunkEducation

Postby gbchunks on Fri Dec 15, 2006 8:27 pm

doh! not this subject AGAIN!!!

errr, those of you that were hoping that Paul Turner playing a musicman would sound anything like stuart zender playing a warwick streamer are clearly mad. Stu made the warwick sound all his own, but it's important that for any band to stay fresh and try out new ideas, they need to change. Look at james brown, parliament, funkadelic, tower of power, all funk acts that got thru musicians real quick, but are still hugely sampled by the industry because their licks remain fresh.

Its not only the sound you like, its what he did with the notes, you should take the time to listen to some of his other work outside of JQ and see what i mean.

Loving the fact that some of you think that Pauls basslines are too basic and sound the same, what role do you think a bass player plays within the band exactly???? There's the small point about bridging rhythm and harmony, so in order to complement the other musicians, you have to work with them, not go off on selfish plank spanking. If you want music that consists of bass players just spanking off, go buy the chilli peppers or something.

My opinion? Stuart is an amazing bass virtuoso, and takes a really dynamic approach to chord progression. Paul is still very new to the band, but has shown he can provide good, solid support at live gigs, i dont doubt he'll get better with time, he's doing exactly what the rest of the musicians expect of him. He's good at what he does.

As for the intro to travelling without moving, Pauls banging on that open E string then running up the E perfect minor scale. Its probably the first chord that any bass player learns and spends weeks banging away like a bedroom rock star. top stuff but actually really easy to learn, id suggest any of you budding musicians pick up a bass and try it.

rah!!!!
gbchunks

Postby Sandriche on Wed Dec 27, 2006 12:23 pm

"The new issue (#28 ) of Bass Guitar Magazine (UK) has Jamiroquai bassist Paul Turner on the front cover together with an interview.

The magazine is available now in the UK from all good stores (I couldn't find any near where I live so hence no quotes from the magazine!) and will no doubt be available soon to order as a back-issue from the Bass Guitar Magazine website."

(funkin.com)
Sandriche

Postby Funkaneer on Wed Jan 24, 2007 9:22 pm

Jester_z99 wrote:None of the bass players after Stuart have measured up to his ability. I've only seen Paul Turner live so I can't speak for his live performance vs. Stuart's and Nick's. He played very proficiently when I saw Jamiroquai, but his slap did sound terrible on Alright (although I think that was mainly because of the settings on his bass and amp more than his technique).

I think that Paul is a great bassist, just listen to the bass lines in Radio, Runaway and you will see some amazing riffs.
On the other hand i think both Turner and Fyffe do not live up to Zender.. His lines were mind-blowing!! I think Paul's playing will expand more as the band progresses but right now it is safe to say he is not as good a bass player as Stu or Nick.

Stuart Zender = The Man!!!
Funkaneer
Supersonic

Postby Jameerica on Thu Jan 25, 2007 9:20 am

FunkEducation wrote:
Dancing Piano wrote:

hahaha WOW!
music man is this

oooo dear.....don't tell me you just said what i think you did!FENDER over MUSICMAN???!!!!!!!you must be....ahh nevermind
but then again it ain't the bass it's the bassist that counts :wink:
if you ask me,Stu was really the best.nick was very good in keeping up with some of stu's stuff,but stu's still a LIIIIITTLE bit better.paul is also doing a good job but not like the two previous,but we still don't have the right to talk of him in any bad way,he's still a great bassist and he deserves our support just as much as stu and nick did.
Jameerica
Runaway

Location: Qarth, greatest city that ever was or ever will be.

Postby snolan on Tue Jun 19, 2007 10:01 pm

to hear paul on tracks other than JMQ listen to his fantastic performances in Down to the Bone's - Crazy Vibes and Things where he plays on the majority of tracks

i think the problem which new bassists for the band face is that they never had as much chance to input to the music as stu was about it was not just jay as the main writing force it was J Stu Toby and Derrick when he came along and with big in put from Wallis on the Didg tracks

as they have all been slowly replaced or axed with the exception of Derrick the new musicians not being founding members may find that they do not have as much input to the writing as the founding members did now basically its Jay who decides on the music of course with input from people like rob especially but it will never be the same communal effort it once was
snolan
Supersonic

Postby FunkODYSSEUS on Wed Jun 20, 2007 11:04 am

Paul Turner is awesome,I think JMQ is very well with him.He has experience and the man funks.Ok,I dont want to compare him with Stu,becouse they are 2 different worlds.Both are awesome,but Stu is more underground,i dont know,but along with the old JK(the underground JK) JMQ was genius,unique performances......and more. :D :D :D
FunkODYSSEUS
Mr Moon

Postby cosmic gypsy on Tue Jun 26, 2007 2:28 am

i wonder if one of those who love stu. more then paul ever seen him playin live before ten years ago?????????or just hear him from the cd album i thing the answer is no because they was too young that time and maybe or sur never knew somethin about jamiroquai!!!!!!
i am lucky because i have see jamiroquai for the first time 1997 at that time stu. on the bass and that was great gig ,but not only because of stu. ^``^ derrick and sola are great artists .
i ve seen paul for the first time with jamiroquai 2005 on there dynamite tour and they played fantastic performance just great .
i love the firsts album from jamiroquai with stu but my favorites are sycronized , funk oddessy and dynamite .
life is changing and if there is no change so we are diying .
paul is real funkadelic cosmic boy also great artist and i respect his work .
i was readin the same on jamirotalk from the same user what paul must or must not do or play .. i think its his bissnesse to play or not what he want.
(btw like the tack from taj mahal ---own bissness) :lol: :lol: :lol:
my favorite bass is Gembri ,its the first bass ever made by gnawa music and its 4string acoustic bass made in morrocco 8)
cosmic gypsy
Supersonic

Next

Return to The Band