Home
Jamiroquai

Jamiroquai... low battery???

The members of Jamiroquai. Talk about their musical styles, techniques, instruments...

Postby Galka on Wed Oct 11, 2006 7:14 pm

And i agree with,manudevil, and with Ed, i wanna Jamiroquai 1992-1998 back, but unfortunatly that's impossible....
Galka
Mr Moon

Postby sedaquai on Wed Oct 11, 2006 7:22 pm

impossible IS nothing :mrgreen:
sedaquai
Space Cowboy

Postby JOSIE on Thu Oct 12, 2006 8:14 am

Jay said that the reason og the greatest hits is the finished of a Jamiroquai's epoc and the start of a new time... so I think that we have to wait for the new songs.

Josie
JOSIE

Postby yougivemesomething on Fri Oct 13, 2006 7:28 pm

manudevil20 wrote:I must say i agree with Ed...we will never hear another ROTSC or EOPE...simply because bend members changed...and they changed style...and don't get me wrong...i like current members! things just came too pop too commercial!

i agree with you. the style has totally changed due to the change of bandmembers. but so do musical styles in general. i don`t mind the new style, though it`s not as "authentic" as the old one, i still don`t think it sounds flat or too commercial, it`s still unique compared to other musicians nowadays. and i like to live in "here and now", meaning that i am open to new styles not only longing for past things. but what is authentic anyway - we had the discussion many times before - jay kay is the motor of the band - he has the most influence on the stlye and maybe the current music just reflects the way he is nowadays, so that you can still call it an authentic style.
yougivemesomething
Space Cowboy

Postby Space Clav on Sat Oct 14, 2006 7:06 pm

What many seem to forget is that Jay once was "longing" for past things when Jamiroquai 92-98 wrote songs and performed them. I mean... it's not like their stuff hasn't been made before. It was... during most of the 70's. Jamiroquai was successful because the Kay/Smith music machine was well oiled and they managed to borrow a little while adding their own making something that very well could have been written in the 70's while also making it sound up to date and "original". Song writings skills, good taste when "borrowing", Jay's voice, the digeridoo and Stu's extraordinary bass playing made Jamiroquai what they once were. Original yet retro sounding and it was easy to associate to the old heros like Johnny "Hammond" Smith, Herbie Hancock and others.

So, remember that "longing" for past times isn't necessarily bad. If a certain Jay Kay and his friends hadn't there wouldn't be a Jamiroquai for you to love. At least not with such an impressive back catalogue.

Change isn't necessarily good. Sometimes it is. Musicians evolve and everything. But if you completely forget about your past you may lose something important at the end of the day.
Space Clav
Supersonic

Postby Kel. on Sun Oct 15, 2006 12:48 am

Jamiroquai is my favourite music artist of all time. They've given me so much over the years.

But this new single...I really dont know guys, I really dont know.

The intro is so annoying.

The words mean nothing. I never thought I'd hear j.k say RAINBOWS in a song again! What's he running away from if he's having such a great time with the rainbows and stuff?

Sick of the same guitar and violin in every song on the last 3 albums. I'm over it!

So what do people think of the new single? REALLY ask yourself. Is FUNKY enough to make a good song? I want more!

Take me back to 1995 please :D

In all fairness, we should wait for the next move by the band, seeing this album ends the Sony deal of 7 albums...i'd be really interested to see if anyone has any news about whats next.

And how do i turn off the sound on the jamiroquai website!

Kel.
Kel.

Postby FunkEducation on Sun Oct 15, 2006 5:02 am

you know guys what makes me feel so bad?
that the actual jamiroquai line-up is able to be as great as the old band was!
but Jays brain is putrefied with all that commercial music sh*t... so, he makes them play those weird songs!!
i mean, Jamiroquai has DERRICK MCKENZIE, hey, this guy, for me, it's the greatest thing the band has! without him, Jamiroquai would be more crap!
Jamiroquai have Sola Akingbola, who is a nice percussionist, and got Paul Turner, who is an amazing bassist!!! this guy is a PRO, the band got Matt Johnson, who's able to do it as well as Toby Smith did once, the band got Rob Harris, who is a bit rocky, but still an amazing guitarist, the band got JAY KAY, who was once upon a time, a jazz musician (a shame he left it back). SO, this guys are able to do the greatest jazz performance actually.... but no... they're stucked in jay's weird funk-techno-rock....

i'm very dissapointed, because those guys are not performing their 100%...
if you watch old concerts, you can see Sola and Derrick doing those amazing solos in "Use the Force"... now they're not able to do those things... they just play what they got to play, and bye! jams are over!
i just want to see this new guys, doing great music! because they're able to do it! they are all professional musicians!

and yeh Kel, i'd give whatever to get back to 1997!
VIVA the old jamiroquai! they're the only ones who makes me smile when i feel so bad! and the ones who makes me cry of happiness when i listen to them! thanks for that!
FunkEducation

Postby Space Clav on Sun Oct 15, 2006 11:40 am

Yeah the current setup is well equipped to play like Jamiroquai did in the old days. No doubt about it. They're a bunch of very skilled musicians indeed. So it's not a matter of "can't", it's more a matter of "won't". And whether that is because of Jay and the guys or because of Sony we will see sooner or later. Maybe we'll see them embrace at least some of that old school acid jazz and funk once again. Time will tell...
Space Clav
Supersonic

Postby Joisxiaoyu on Sun Oct 15, 2006 3:08 pm

I THINK IT IS IMPOSSIBLE TO GET BACK....... SO SAD.... BUT... WELL.... FOR ME I HAVE THE ALBUMS THAT I LIKE.. SO MUCH..... NOW IS SO COMECIAL, I KNOW.. WE KNOW THAT..... BUT... WHAT CAN WE DO????......
NOTHING...!!! :lol:

ANYWAY... I LOVE JM... :wink:
Joisxiaoyu
Mr Moon

Postby Ignition on Sun Oct 21, 2007 2:50 am

I'm not saying they suck now, but they defintely went downhill since Zender left.
He was a great bassist, the new guy isn't even close.
Ignition

Postby MissyM on Sun Oct 21, 2007 3:46 am

Ignition wrote:I'm not saying they suck now, but they defintely went downhill since Zender left.

I'm confused by your Bold statement there ignition because there have actually been two bassist's since Zender left.. (remember nick fyffe?) now they have Paul so which one are you talkin about?.?? :shock:

There is certainly nothing wrong with Paul's playing.. in fact if he had to play the older songs I am sure he would sound just as good as Zender ever did.. Jamiroquai's music style changed after Zender left so of course noone will "sound" the same anymore.. because they are playing a completely different style.. I can tell you, I am a no musician, but I know what I hear and the older style and the newer style doesn't sound the same to me.. To tell you the truth I don't think I'd be a fan if their music style was always the same.. I get bored easily so change is fine with me..
MissyM
Supersonic

Postby Jameerica on Sun Oct 21, 2007 7:44 am

Ignition wrote:I'm not saying they suck now, but they defintely went downhill since Zender left.

Matey,give ol' Paul a break!Zender was a great bassist and all and who's to say that Paul isn't?Little bit different style,more things in Jay's control and different songs to play!Come on! :roll: I too like Zender,he is my idol when it comes to bass but come on!
Jameerica
Runaway

Location: Qarth, greatest city that ever was or ever will be.

Postby Jam Fan (Natalie) on Sun Oct 21, 2007 7:48 am

I don't think the 'quality' of their music went downhill post-Zender, just the overall style. I think Zender contributed far more to the music than we think
Jam Fan (Natalie)
Dynamite

Postby Jameerica on Sun Oct 21, 2007 7:49 am

Sure he did,the "more control left to Jay" part talks about that
And Toby left too...I think that Toby was the brains of the band more than Jay or Stu :roll:
Jameerica
Runaway

Postby Jam Fan (Natalie) on Sun Oct 21, 2007 7:52 am

Course he was the brains!
Jam Fan (Natalie)
Dynamite

Postby Jameerica on Sun Oct 21, 2007 7:52 am

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Jameerica
Runaway

Postby kg on Mon Oct 22, 2007 1:34 am

guuuuaahh!!! :shock: :shock: :shock: Toby!!
kg
Dynamite

Postby dargelita on Mon Oct 22, 2007 1:44 am

LOOOOOOOOOL !
dargelita
Runaway

Postby Jameerica on Mon Oct 22, 2007 10:28 am

Lol xD xD
Jameerica
Runaway

Postby kg on Mon Oct 22, 2007 5:19 pm

hahaha
kg
Dynamite

Postby Ignition on Mon Oct 22, 2007 10:45 pm

MissyM wrote:

I'm confused by your Bold statement there ignition because there have actually been two bassist's since Zender left.. (remember nick fyffe?) now they have Paul so which one are you talkin about?.?? :shock:

There is certainly nothing wrong with Paul's playing.. in fact if he had to play the older songs I am sure he would sound just as good as Zender ever did.. Jamiroquai's music style changed after Zender left so of course noone will "sound" the same anymore.. because they are playing a completely different style.. I can tell you, I am a no musician, but I know what I hear and the older style and the newer style doesn't sound the same to me.. To tell you the truth I don't think I'd be a fan if their music style was always the same.. I get bored easily so change is fine with me..

Pretty much, I mean out of the three, Zender was the best, as he defined Jamiroquais' overall base style since Emergency On Planet Earth.
Ignition

Postby Jameerica on Tue Oct 23, 2007 6:29 am

:roll: If there wasn't Jamiroquai Zender would still be on the circus :roll:
Jameerica
Runaway

Postby MissyM on Tue Oct 23, 2007 10:37 am

Jameerica wrote::roll: If there wasn't Jamiroquai Zender would still be on the circus :roll:

LOL... I like zenderbender too but hey, he is no longer a part of the band so sometimes you just to "Let Go" people :D ...
MissyM
Supersonic

Postby Jameerica on Tue Oct 23, 2007 3:16 pm

Hheheh yeh...Zenderbender!Lol! :lol:
Jameerica
Runaway

Postby mr.aZ on Fri Oct 26, 2007 5:05 pm

Jameerica wrote:Hheheh yeh...Zenderbender!Lol! :lol:
:lol: :lol: :lol:
mr.aZ
Dynamite

Location: mendoza, this corner of argentina is like me in many ways

PreviousNext

Return to The Band