Home
Jamiroquai

TOBY'S HANCOCK INFLUENCES IN "HOOKED UP"

The members of Jamiroquai. Talk about their musical styles, techniques, instruments...

TOBY'S HANCOCK INFLUENCES IN "HOOKED UP"

Postby High_Times on Sat Apr 29, 2006 12:19 pm

TOBY'S HANCOCK INFLUENCES IN "HOOKED UP" & "WHATEVER IT IS I JUST CAN'T STOP"

This thread is about these 2 absolutely outstanding songs from
1st album that have changed my understanding of music a long time ago when i first heard them on "EOPE". When you listen to them for the first time they open door into a whole new music direction for you, such amazing and magical.

I started this thread because i wanted to thank J, Toby, Stuart, Nick
and all the band for recording these masterpieces.
Though they have done these 2 tracks under Herbie Hancock's influence,
they are much better than Herbie's tracks (even though i'm Herbie's fan), who started this direction of jazzy funky grooves with fat old rhodes sound in early seventies.

As you know Toby Smith always said in his interviews that his biggest influences are 70s records of Marvin Gaye, Donald Byrd and Herbie Hancock - genious jazz keyboardist, who was in 60s Miles Davis's keyboardist and after that played jazz funk fusion in 70s. Apart from that he was one of the pioneers of RHODES piano and HOHNER CLAVINET. And
the thing is if you once have heard the way Herbie plays Rhodes piano
you will become a fan of this sound forever. He has an album called "Headhunters" released in 1973 - it includes only 4 tracks one of which - "Chamelion" - has the most revolutionary rhodes piano solo in the world (before there appeared Toby Smith, who is my favourite rhodes piano performer). A lot of people played and recorded Rhodes piano different ways in music history, but very few people managed to make it sound magical. In my opinion Toby managed to make up the best rhodes piano sound that ever existed. It was big luck for us all that J met Toby, man with outstanding musical vision.

If you dig old vibes and sound, you will understand what is so special in
"HOOKED UP" & "WHATEVER IT IS I JUST CAN'T STOP". They are not just
one more example of ordinary 90s jazz fusion or acid jazz. The most magical thing is they sound like they were recorded in 70s but even better musically - its almost impossible to make such cool oldschool sound on songs recorded nowadays even if you have old funky keyboards - rhodes piano, hohner clav, minimoog. And J and the band managed to do it - in fact they have made them sound better than Herbie Hancock himself.

This is a big dream to hear Jamiroquai playing them live nowadays.

About Toby Smith's Rhodes piano

His 88 suitcase mark I rhodes (not fender) sounded very unusual sometimes it sounded creamy like a fender model and in some tracks - like mark I made after 1976.

however his main studio and live model was 88 suitcase mark I rhodes (not fender) which he used without speaker cabinet playing live.
and twice i have seen him playing mark II 88 Suitcase -
in "Blow Your Mind" video and in "When You Gonna Learn" video.

In one interview he has said that he used Electro Harmonix Electric Mistress phaser and a wah wah pedal attached to his rhodes.
so wah wah you can hear for example in track called "emergency on planet earth". but i guess what we hear in many tracks is rhodes sound
through a Electric Mistress phaser in light very slow mode.
also i think he used a lot of compression and valve pre amp.
Maybe thats why his rhodes sound was so beautiful.
High_Times
Supersonic

Postby High_Times on Sat Apr 29, 2006 5:12 pm

From http://www.fenderrhodes.com/

http://www.fenderrhodes.com/history/audio.php

In the early 1970's, Herbie Hancock produced a promotional recording demonstrating the Fender Rhodes piano.

http://www.fenderrhodes.com/audio/Herbie_SideA.mp3
http://www.fenderrhodes.com/audio/Herbie_SideB.mp3
High_Times
Supersonic

Postby cheeeba lover on Sat Apr 29, 2006 6:04 pm

i love herbie!!specially "chameleon"

but high timesmy dear friend,where have you been???i havent seen you online for ages...so great to see you again! 8) 8) :D
cheeeba lover
Supersonic

Postby High_Times on Sat Apr 29, 2006 7:44 pm

hi Cheeba, my big friend!!! :D :D
i am so happy to meet you here again!!!
how are you? hope we'll talk soon!!!!!! i have a lot of cool oldschool music
toby and j spoke about in interviews. As for my absence - unfortunately all this time i didnt have free time to post.. But of course i checked all the news!
8) :D :D
High_Times
Supersonic

Postby Sandriche on Sun Apr 30, 2006 4:45 pm

yes..high times...THANKS for taking time to share your great stuff with us...its always intersting reading your posts...i always learn something :D
Sandriche

Postby High_Times on Mon May 01, 2006 7:05 am

thanks, Sandriche :wink: "whatever it is i just can't stop" and "hooked up"
are such fantastic tracks!!!! they already played "hooked up" and it was cool live so now i hope they will include "Whatever It Is I Just Can't Stop" in this tour set list!!!!!!! :D :D
High_Times
Supersonic

Postby DiscoDave on Tue May 02, 2006 12:52 am

WHERE WOULD WE BE WITHOUT HERBIE? ISNT HE EXCELLENT.NO JAMIROQUAI WITHOUT HIM ANYWAYS.
DiscoDave
Supersonic

Postby High_Times on Thu May 04, 2006 3:15 pm

my favourite hancock album now is "SECRETS" 1976.
It has a lot of rhodes piano and sounds very funky, Toby Smith said "SECRETS" is one of his favourite albums.
High_Times
Supersonic

Return to The Band