Home
Jamiroquai

DERRICK McKENZIE : THE COOLEST MASTER OF THE GROOVE

The members of Jamiroquai. Talk about their musical styles, techniques, instruments...

DERRICK McKENZIE : THE COOLEST MASTER OF THE GROOVE

Postby High_Times on Mon Apr 25, 2005 8:51 pm

YES!!! :P

This thread is about Derrick!!!!!!!!!!

first of all we should thank the man for the awesome

grooves amazing sound and brilliant sense of style!!!!

i will never understand how he makes his drums sound so wide fat

stylish and punchy... His sound is soooo cool and different, his musical

ideas are more than perfect!!!

As i already said my favourite Derricks fill is the one

starting Butterfly!!!

here's an INTERVIEW WITH DERRICK from mtey's site archive:

Jamiroquai 'Synkronizes' new album, tour
Donna Freydkin

Special thanks to Courtney K. for finding this article on CNN and thanks to CNN for linking to Jamiroquai.com

(CNN) - In the retro world of England's Jamiroquai, bubbly disco mingles with slick funk. Smooth jazz cozies up to fluffy pop and polished club music.

Ask the British foursome about its inspirations, and the artists -- led by limelight-loving frontman Jason Kay -- say they know a good thing when they hear it. On Jamiroquai's fourth album "Synkronized," that magic ingredient is the Bee Gees, merged with the boogie beats of disco wonderland Studio 54.

"We believe in disco funk," says drummer Derrick McKenzie. "We're fully into it. We felt we should produce and write music along that sort of line, because at the end of the day, we want to make music that we enjoy."

To create that musical Xanadu, the band -- Kay, McKenzie, keyboardist Toby Smith and vibes player Wallis Buchanan -- holed up at Kay's Georgian manor home outside London.

"We weren't pressed for time," says McKenzie. "You could start and finish when you want. You can work when you want. It's excellent. You're your own boss."

And the final product, says the drummer, is all about getting down and partying like it's -- well, you know.

"That's the message," says McKenzie. "Enjoy. Get out and party. Have a good time. We want to entertain you, but we want to entertain you in our own way."

The first single, "Canned Heat," has been out since late May. The album, which entered the Billboard album charts at 28, is currently perched at 53.

The video was shot by director Jonas Akerlund, who's worked with Madonna, the Prodigy and Metallica. The album as a whole has garnered mixed-to-positive, reviews. McKenzie says he hopes the silky beats of "Synkronized" will serve as a breakthrough in the United States for the London-born band.

"Music in England is like clothes. It's a fashion thing," says McKenzie. "But we're still doing the same kind of music we were doing at the beginning. We've just matured."

Boogie-down productions

In 1993, when Jamiroquai released its United Kingdom debut, "Emergency on Planet Earth," the British band was dismissed as a one-hit wonder by the Fleet Street press. And although Jamiroquai's debut had hit No. 1 on the British charts and became the U.K.'s top-selling debut album of the year, no one took the band too seriously.

Three years and two albums later, the U.S. audience had scarcely heard of Jamiroquai -- when MTV picked up a funky little ditty called "Virtual Insanity" from Jamiroquai's third album, "Travelling Without Moving."

The album went on to sell seven million copies worldwide, and garnered Jamiroquai a best pop performance Grammy and four MTV Video Music Awards, including a best video nod for the gravity-defying "Virtual Insanity" clip.

"It was actually a good kick in the ass. It was what we needed," says McKenzie. "The fact that MTV picked up 'Virtual Insanity' and played it really heavily was excellent, because it meant that somebody took a risk in putting us on TV and plugging it. And when we went to work on this album, we just thought to ourselves, 'We don't want to let MTV down.'"

Between albums, Kay wrote "Deeper Underground" for the "Godzilla" soundtrack, and the entire band, already bitten by the disco bug, performed a duet of "Upside Down" with Diana Ross at the 1997 Brit Awards.

Disco inferno

In "Canned Heat," Kay says, "You know this boogie is for real … nothing left for me to do but dance." In the bleaker "Black Capricorn Day," he laments that "And I'm so rarely understood. Well, I don't know what they want from me."

"Jay's writing and vocal abilities have been influenced by Stevie Wonder," says McKenzie, "but more at the beginning of his career. But this album is much more Jay, from a vocal point of view, than previous albums. He deliberately stayed away from listening to a bunch of people so he would develop his own style."

Despite a few darker messages, McKenzie says that "Synkronized" is all about dipping into the disco revival -- not to capitalize on bell-bottom nostalgia, but to pay tribute to a genre of music the band loves.

"We're all into the disco thing," he says, "the whole band, and not because there's been a revival. It's because we're genuinely interested in the disco-funk thing. We wanted an up-tempo album that we could party to. Play every track, one after the other, and just enjoy it."

"Synkronized" represents a return for Jamiroquai to its London club-scene roots.

"We're doing that party, clubby, disco thing -- so much so, that we're thinking of doing some really small gigs. That's one of my goals for this year, to do some really small gigs," says McKenzie. "They're a lot more intimate and the people there will be right into it."

He may have chances at that in the U.S. tour, which kicks off on July 4 at San Francisco's Union Square, and includes a stop in the not-so-intimate setting of Woodstock '99 on July 23. McKenzie hopes that being on the road in the States will prove to American audiences what longtime British fans have already bought into.

"We're ourselves now. We know what we do, we know we do it well and we just want it to be us, rather than somebody else," says McKenzie.
High_Times
Supersonic

Postby AbouMoslem on Tue Apr 26, 2005 6:33 am

well, this topic is really good...
great article, derrick is awesome!
AbouMoslem
Supersonic

Postby Kay_Odyssey on Tue Apr 26, 2005 3:05 pm

High_Times are you a DRUMMER? coz so am i!! and i find derrick absolutely amazing!!! He is Great!
i have a picture of derrick as my wallpaper, he's my ultimate drummer...love his style and the way he plays makes everything look so easy... 8) Cant imagine jamiroquai with a new drummer... :shock:
Kay_Odyssey

Postby High_Times on Tue Apr 26, 2005 3:46 pm

Kay_Odyssey wrote:High_Times are you a DRUMMER? coz so am i!! and i find derrick absolutely amazing!!! He is Great!
i have a picture of derrick as my wallpaper, he's my ultimate drummer...love his style and the way he plays makes everything look so easy... 8) Cant imagine jamiroquai with a new drummer... :shock:

hi mate, i record my own tracks in jamiroquai style and i try to play as many instruments as i can :D :D
but speaking about drums i do drums programming working
with sampler so i know how hard it is to make your beat sound cool..
in 2 of my tracks i use kick ,snare and hi hat which i sampled from LITTLE L!!! :P
i am not kidding!!! i've cut Little L and got punchy kick and snare!!!
High_Times
Supersonic

Postby Kay_Odyssey on Tue Apr 26, 2005 3:58 pm

datz funking cool! i love instrumentals tried making my own but i get very impatient but otherwise playing the real thing is what does it for me :wink:
Kay_Odyssey

Postby congaman on Thu May 19, 2005 6:52 am

Nothing more that I can say... Simple but groooovy!?!?!

NICe?!?!

:lol: 8)

:lol: 8) :lol: 8)
congaman

Postby FunkEducation on Thu May 19, 2005 6:56 am

the best video i have seen of Derrick is when they played "The Kids" in the UgoUgoRuga show in Japan... uff nice performance!
FunkEducation

Postby StuZ on Thu May 19, 2005 10:38 am

Don't remember where i read it, certainly in a magazine for drummers, but he was elected as the 2nd best funk drummer in the world...!!
Listen "We gettin' down" in Funky Paradise...7 minutes of Master D.!
StuZ

Postby FunkEducation on Thu May 19, 2005 7:43 pm

StuZ wrote:Don't remember where i read it, certainly in a magazine for drummers, but he was elected as the 2nd best funk drummer in the world...!!
Listen "We gettin' down" in Funky Paradise...7 minutes of Master D.!

who's the first one? Sonny Emory????
FunkEducation

Postby StuZ on Fri May 20, 2005 10:59 am

Sorry but I don't know!!
And when you know how Derrick started to practice: played on books because he did'nt have the money to buy a drum!!
He's got more than talent...like all the musicians of Jamiroquai...
Even if i'm less fan of the Synkronized & EFO era...
but that's not the subjet here!!
StuZ

Postby love foolosopher on Fri Aug 12, 2005 11:52 pm

derrick rulz!!..

a friend tell me that the best funk drummer in the world was chad smith from rhcp...but i dont think so....chad smith dosent have the groove of DM...
love foolosopher

Postby FunkEducation on Sat Aug 13, 2005 2:12 am

love foolosopher wrote:derrick rulz!!..

a friend tell me that the best funk drummer in the world was chad smith from rhcp...but i dont think so....chad smith dosent have the groove of DM...

first, chad smith doesn't have funky grooves...
second, Sonny Emory is so much better than Derrick McKenzie...
FunkEducation

Postby High_Times on Sat Apr 29, 2006 10:43 am

Derrick you are the best!!
thank you for your amazing drum lines in Butterfly!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
High_Times
Supersonic

Postby THEBEAT on Wed May 03, 2006 12:11 am

I play the drums and Derrick has had a MAJOR influence on my playing. The guy has sooooo much groove and feel its disguisting :lol:
THEBEAT

Postby goldmember on Tue May 09, 2006 4:28 pm

So glad to hear you say all this guys!!!!!!

Grooving in traveling without moving...............oh,man!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
goldmember
Space Cowboy

Postby Murmeli on Sun Oct 15, 2006 1:09 pm

Mighty Derrick has changed my playing to a new level and im becoming to master my groove thanks to him. Unfortunaly I haven't seem him playing live but that time will come. I love his playing on Everyday. The sound is so gentle and floating I can't think nothing better. Keep grooving Derrick.

Now one thing that I love is the sound of his snare drum. Does anyone got any idea what is the snare he is playing? The sound is so soft that I just have to purchase one. Hope its not one of the expensive ones. :lol:

All good to you!
Murmeli

Postby duki on Wed Oct 18, 2006 10:19 pm

Derrick has a soul. He is such a remarkable musician and such a nice man.
duki
Space Cowboy

Postby mr.aZ on Thu Oct 19, 2006 2:14 am

duki wrote:Derrick has a soul. He is such a remarkable musician and such a nice man.

agree
mr.aZ
Dynamite

Location: mendoza, this corner of argentina is like me in many ways

Postby FunkEducation on Thu Oct 19, 2006 3:51 pm

duki wrote:Derrick has a soul. He is such a remarkable musician and such a nice man.

yeh this guy is powerful!
FunkEducation

Postby goldmember on Thu Nov 02, 2006 9:43 pm

I love derrick
goldmember
Space Cowboy

Postby FRAFRA on Fri Nov 03, 2006 6:28 am

Yep, agree with U all :)

Derrick is a very talented drummer: JMQ wouldn't be the same without him
And he's a very nice and kind person: GO DERRICK, U R THE BEST :wink:
FRAFRA
Supersonic

Postby DJ Romeo on Mon Nov 06, 2006 7:36 pm

Who do you think is better Derrikor ?uestlove from the roots? Imma go with my man D from Jamiroquai of course
DJ Romeo
Mr Moon

Postby chaman333 on Sun Sep 30, 2007 1:53 am

DERRICK MCKENZIE RULEZ
chaman333
Supersonic

Postby Q-tiel_iroquai on Sun Sep 30, 2007 5:35 am

luv derrick
Q-tiel_iroquai
Space Cowboy

Postby Jay F (funky_chill) on Sun Sep 30, 2007 7:55 am

THEBEAT wrote:I play the drums and Derrick has had a MAJOR influence on my playing. The guy has sooooo much groove

same here....he has a really influence on me...great!!!! derrick we love ya 8) 8) 8)
Jay F (funky_chill)
Dynamite

Next

Return to The Band