Home
Jamiroquai

JAY KAY/PHARRELL??!!

The Space Cowboy. Talk about anything related to Jay. His singing, his clothes, his Black Devil Car, his style...

JAY KAY/PHARRELL??!!

Postby joliefille on Sat Mar 08, 2014 5:45 am

Ok Jay has been heavily back in the press because people (no offense - but not well-informed folks) keep saying my boy Pharrell is copying Jay - NOT.

Jay/Jamiroquai is a little older and Pharrell - aka skateboard P :-) - has been in the music game along time as well although geez he looks about 30 tops.

I am kind of sick of the allegations of P copying Jay because I have enjoyed them both a lot but do not find their music or style similar. P broke into the industry as a producer/songwriter; Jay's strength is his unique voice and the live musicality. While I love and enjoy Skateboard P's music, he is not a "singer" nor dancer to me.

Even with style they are very different - so what, they both wear hats but P never sported headgear. And Jay never sported a capri pants tuxedo. I think people like to put people in boxes but I do not find them similar at all.

By the way, what got me hooked on P back in the day was that he was a fan of the band Steely Dan (one of my favorites) and how many young hipsters love Steely Dan ( a band named after a dildo by the way - haha!) I do not know anyone my age who likes Steely Dan - even at concerts, other than the cheeba being passed around, I tend to annoy most older fuddy duddy fans because I am up and screaming and dancing the entire time ( could be I am tall and wear short skirts and shorts but the band loved it and just let me dance on stage and allowed me to watch backstage - awesomeness.)

One of my fav songs "Dirty Work" is in "Wolf of Wallstreet."

Ok - enough randomness. Sound off - do you really think P is copying Jay? Pre-Grammy's I suggested they do a collab because P appreciates Jamiroquai's sound - he is not just stuck in the rap/hip hop genre as some people believe. If P could bring Daft Punk to life overseas in the worse cultural country in the world - USA - I think he could do wonders for Jay - if that's what mr. grumpy stubborn pants curmudgeon wanted. (I am saying this with a huge smile)
joliefille
Supersonic

Re: JAY KAY/PHARRELL??!!

Postby CosmicLea on Sat Mar 08, 2014 12:01 pm

I don't think Pharrell is copying Jay, but boy oh boy, both of them are the coolest men on the planet. They both just exude coolness!! :D

@Joliefille - did you see my reply to you here? :arrow: http://bb.jamiroquai.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=11482&p=218252&sid=37b089c37dcba19d5cf216617d05f4f2#p218252 :wink: :D
CosmicLea
Space Cowboy

Postby joliefille on Sat Mar 08, 2014 7:48 pm

@CosmicLea

I know more about Skateboard P (or "For Real" as Jay Z calls him) and yes he has been cutting edge, different and utterly cool forever. He is heavily into art design and always explored all types of music, which I appreciate in people. My model friend has been crushing on him for years and she kind of reminds me of his wife. Love his son's name too - Rocket Man - makes me think of the Elton John song.

Jay I guess is older and I just learned about the EOPE album, which was light years ahead of his time. I do not know much about him personally like Pharrell - you know the whole coolness factor - lol :-). But I think Pharrell would be honored to work Jay; not sure what they would come up with but it would be f------- amazing.

I will definitely check out your reply. I usually come here late at night or have been drinking too much :-) or when I cannot sleep so I do not always remember what I read or even wrote :-) haha!
joliefille
Supersonic

Postby caroli on Thu Mar 13, 2014 7:22 pm

I do believe that when people comment on this topic it has nothing to do with the music.. but Pharrell does wear these weird hats that have a lot to do with the Alright ones and his dance is quite similar too. Saying this because I noticed this the other day during the Oscars and commented with my mum and she agreed with me :lol:
caroli
Dynamite

Postby joliefille on Fri Mar 14, 2014 12:59 am

You think their dancing is similar? I think P cannot even come close to Jay's dancing abilities.

P always had a funky style, wore adidas jumpers/hoodies (even I have those for workouts); regardless, glad P's Grammy hat sold for $44,000 for charity. I do not mind all the hat hype because it turned out well in the end.

A lot of rappers/hip hop artists in the US have mad crazy sneaker collections and jumpers. It's kind of what they wear.
joliefille
Supersonic

Postby joliefille on Fri Mar 14, 2014 1:06 am

@Caroli - I have to confess however - I have no idea and never seen what the Alright hats are; so you are probably right and the hat comparison in the media may be justified.

Because now thinking about it, I do not know much about Jay's hats. Just the Indian headgear obviously - and a few others. Haven't even seen the Alright video so . . . .

(knowledge is knowing what you actually do not know :-)
joliefille
Supersonic

Postby caroli on Fri Mar 14, 2014 3:29 pm

There are some legendary one but Alright is the one :lol:
caroli
Dynamite

Postby funkygarden on Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:21 pm

Lazy unimaginative journalists who link and 'outfit' or a 'hat' with two talented musicians aren't even worth the debate are they .....??...Nah!!! :lol: :lol:
I Miss the fabulous Jamiroquai and need a fix!!!!
So I say,lets start a campaign to get them to play 'Love Supreme festival' this year.... you know you want to Ha Ha!! I know I want to LOL!!! That has to be A FAR MORE INTERESTING DEBATE. pEaCe .xXxXxXx. :)
funkygarden

Postby popalot on Tue Mar 25, 2014 2:43 pm

Jay has his unique hats, he could well make a so g with Pharrell but they are their own people
popalot
Supersonic

Postby joliefille on Mon Mar 31, 2014 10:16 pm

Congrats! - my boy Skateboard P (Pharrell) signed on and is replacing some singer/celeb on The Voice.

I may actually watch the show now :-) haha! :-)

"I call him "For Real" because he is the truth" (love that line from Jay Z) unlike a lot singers these days :-(
joliefille
Supersonic

Postby popalot on Mon Mar 31, 2014 10:24 pm

Is it an April Fool or real deal?
He will bring in a lot of viewers :mrgreen:
popalot
Supersonic

Postby joliefille on Mon Mar 31, 2014 11:38 pm

haha!:-)

No dear, it is not an April Fool's joke - it is official news in LA/Hollywood. I got a ton of e-mails regarding it this morning; it was also mentioned when I was out partying last night.

Pharrell is replacing Cee-Lo Green. I never watched The Voice (or TV at all really) so I could not remember all the judges.

You are so lucky to call it a night. It's only late afternoon here but I want to go to bed :-) Too much partying last night ;-)

Sweet dreams . . .
joliefille
Supersonic

Return to Jay Kay