Home
Jamiroquai

Get involved!

Talk about the Jamiroquai Remix Project. Chat about your ideas and help each other create some amazing remixes.

Get involved!

Postby Sandriche on Thu Feb 28, 2013 9:12 pm

To celebrate their 20th anniversary Jamiroquai are giving you the chance to remix "Too Young To Die"
Competition launches tomorrow, 1st March 2013 !! Ready to remix?
You can win lots of funky prizes!

Find some more information here :arrow: http://www.jamiroquai.com/remix
Sandriche

Re: Get involved!

Postby Giba7 on Fri Mar 01, 2013 4:09 am

This could be great fun to hear all the different versions of the remix.

I think some of the people to get involved may only be viewers and not necessarily posters.
Giba7
Runaway

Postby Jazzhole on Fri Mar 01, 2013 5:12 pm

Working on this! :)
Jazzhole
Supersonic

Postby Giba7 on Fri Mar 01, 2013 9:15 pm

Awesome Jazzhole!

okay I'm in the process of making the downloads.
then the tutorials.

This will be fun if I can actually process what's in my head to a file!
:lol:

Oh, and can't locate the live pack Jamiroquai Remix session file.
:?:
Giba7
Runaway

Postby kabas on Sat Mar 02, 2013 12:19 am

Hi!

It is possible to use other elements in this project?
I would like to use other instruments like electronic drums, bass, etc...
Is that possible?

Thanks!
kabas

Postby Jazzhole on Sat Mar 02, 2013 2:07 am

kabas wrote:Hi!

It is possible to use other elements in this project?
I would like to use other instruments like electronic drums, bass, etc...
Is that possible?

Thanks!

I suppose so. They even mention using programs other then Ableton, so i guess you can.
Jazzhole
Supersonic

Postby electricmaster on Sat Mar 02, 2013 3:28 am

Wow. Jamiroquai are my favourite band and I work as a DJ and have made some bootleg remixes of Jamiroquai before... One even got featured on Jamiroquai's official website! This is like a dream come true! :D
electricmaster
Supersonic

Important! Remix project stems incomplete

Postby SonicTramp on Sun Mar 03, 2013 11:50 am

Hi, hope all is well with everyone :)

The stems for the remix project cut out around the 3.30 min mark? Not sure why this is but it needs to be fixed pronto if the problem is the same for everyone!

If anyone else could check to see if they have the same issue?

My friend downloaded the stems and had the same problem.

EDIT: I've downloaded the files twice to see it was a download error but that's not the case...
SonicTramp

Important! Jamiroqai is not in time...

Postby erikmayne on Sun Mar 03, 2013 5:09 pm

Hi SonicTramp, hi Sandriche,

I have the same issue. Actually the Ableton Live project is quite out of time, too. If you activate the click you really get ear cancer especially in the breakdown and solo sections, this is really heavy. Who did this?

Anyway, the stems are incomplete, the third section of the song is completely missing. I really would like to warp/quantize the files myself but as you said the stems should be fixed first.
Otherwise we have to recreate the tracks from bits of the Ableton Live project and the incomplete stems before we could start a good remix. To recreate and warp 35 such sophisticated tracks is a full time job and far from "No previous remix experience is necessary...".

I also recognized that the original tempo of the album version is straight 101.8 BPM (tight!). I don't know what the engineers in the 90s did, but I could imagine there wasn't something like audio quantization, so I think the transfer of the original stems is buggy also because the tempo of the stems isn't steady. Maybe there were some time code problems (ADAT, analog tape?). Anyway, maybe I am wrong on this but I hope to get the "lots of support" as promoted :wink:.

Cheers,

Erik
erikmayne

Postby David on Sun Mar 03, 2013 6:18 pm

Hi. I've just emailed the person who I believe is responsible for the remix project and hopefully he'll be able to investigate this. I've not yet downloaded the software to have a look myself.
David
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby SonicTramp on Sun Mar 03, 2013 6:53 pm

Brilliant, thanks David.

This needs to be fixed pronto!

Erik, 100bpm is pretty much spot on for me, give it a try :)
Last edited by SonicTramp on Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
SonicTramp

Postby electricmaster on Mon Mar 04, 2013 5:45 am

Yeah, I was a bit let down when I saw that it cut out the last part of the song which has the repeated "Oh I'm too young" bit which I just love.
electricmaster
Supersonic

Postby SonicTramp on Mon Mar 04, 2013 3:21 pm

Any news on the stems?
SonicTramp

Postby David on Mon Mar 04, 2013 8:36 pm

OK, here's the official word...

We have basically tried to create a fun project together that fans can get involved in with no experience and to do this teamed up with Ableton. Because we understand that experienced enthusiasts might also want to take part using their own software we also released the raw stems. These are the original stem files for the radio edit as actually sent to professional producers for the intention of remixing.

We appreciate that these raw stems may require additional work, however we considered it better to release them in their present condition than not at all.

Personally I have not yet installed the software to have a listen to what's available but hope to do so in the next few days. I've never tried remixing anything before so it could be fun. I guess if we've all got the same files (whether they're good or bad) then we just have to do whatever we can with them!
David
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby SonicTramp on Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:45 pm

Ok, that makes sense. I thought it was just the album cut, just incomplete, but it makes sense if it is a radio edit, cutting out around 3.30.

Would be interesting to hear the full, mixed, ready for airplay radio edit though as it's quite different from the single (music video) edit... it uses verse 2 of the album version rather instead of verse 3 (like the single version). Had a quick look on YouTube but no joy.

And Erik that would explain the bpm hooking up to 100 rather than 101.

Right, now that's sorted I'm ready to roll with this again!

Cheers David for investigating our concerns
SonicTramp

Postby erikmayne on Tue Mar 05, 2013 1:33 pm

Hi David,

Many many thanks for you investigation.

The pure remix stems are the radio edit version and they are 100 bpm straight, this makes sense.

The Ableton Live project is the album full length version but with very bad timing problems. It sounds to me that someone tried to rework the album version with the full length stems but failed in cutting and re-arranging in time. There are also some strange effects on the vocals like compressor and reverb in the verse. Just when the chorus drops in the vocals are dry.
As I said it's nearly impossible to rebuild the full length version with the short stems and the Ableton Live project because the Ableton Live project is just a mess in terms of timing and strange effects on the vocals.
Please try the Ableton Live project on your own with the metronome/click on and listen to the vocals in solo also (of course mute the Ableton Live FX on the tracks, but the reverb and fx are on the original audio files).

Anyway, so we have to decide either to remix just the shorter radio version with the good in time stems or the full length version but with heavy timing problems and strange effects on the vox.

I would love to clean this Ableton Live mess up and try to correct the timing, but then we still have the slightly strange fx on the vox.

David, maybe you can ask the studio guys at least to give us the full length lead vox stems incl. verse 3. This would be awesome.

To the studio guys, please don't misunderstand me: Wrong timing doesn't have anything to do with experience enthusiasts. Everyone who could count and dance to four on the floor can recognize that the timing is especially in the solo and breakdown sections sometimes really bad.
And the original raw stems doesn't require additional work, because there are in time. Just sad that the full length version doesn't exist for us as raw stems.

Either way, I appreciate the opportunity and thank all you guys who are involved in providing us with the material.

Thanks,

Erik
erikmayne

Postby Giba7 on Tue Mar 05, 2013 2:01 pm

I think it's a beautiful thing to be able to see the how the tracks all come together to make this song!

When I think of a remix, I think of a butchered track. 95 % is tossed aside.

But still can't wait to hear everyone's remix!
:mrgreen:
Giba7
Runaway

Postby kabas on Wed Mar 06, 2013 7:26 pm

How many remix files can be sent per person?
are there a limit number of remix per person?
Thanks
kabas

Postby Giba7 on Thu Mar 07, 2013 1:02 am

When is the end date of the contest?
And yes can there be more than one remix entered?
Giba7
Runaway

Postby UK2NYC on Thu Mar 07, 2013 1:14 am

I was unable to download the Ableton pack for this remix contest, so I DL'd the stems. People on the forum using ableton I presume, need to go to preferences, record warp launch and turn off "default launch quantization " . then load each audio sample into a new audio track, and it will sit nicely at 100 BPM.
UK2NYC

Postby nomilktoday on Sun Mar 10, 2013 6:28 am

I am having some trouble locating the "Loopmasters Bonus Content" within the Ableton software... as seen in the 2nd Ableton tutorial.

I tried re installing the pack but the files are definitely not there. The files are all on my computer but cannot load in Ableton. Is anyone else having this problem? :oops:
nomilktoday

Postby Sandriche on Sun Mar 10, 2013 7:15 pm

I only loaded them into logic pro and there was no problem :S sorry I can´t help.
maybe try to delete everything again and then re-load them from the website?? just an idea??
maybe somebody else has a better suggestion...
Sandriche

Postby nomilktoday on Mon Mar 11, 2013 9:28 am

Ok thanks for the suggestion, it still doesn't seem to accept them! But I have found that I can go to the folder and drag and drop them into Ableton - which is a little tedious but it works.

Cheers :)
nomilktoday

Getting involved and mixing it up

Postby kalimna on Wed Mar 13, 2013 8:06 am

I love this opportunity Jamiroquai has given to their fans. Such a great idea. I am having a go - having never mixed or written music in my life. I'm enjoying it, but finding quite a large gap between what I want to do and what I can do.

Getting to listen to each part of the music, the instruments and the vocals is a wonderful experience to gain a deeper understanding and love for the music and the people who made it :D
kalimna

Get involved - for UK residents only

Postby kalimna on Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:25 am

1.2 The Competition is open to residents of the UK over the age of 18 at the time of entry.

I just read the T&C for this project and it states (above) this project is only for UK residents (yet related promotional material is available in Spanish).

Is this true?
kalimna

Next

Return to Jamiroquai Remix Project