Home
Jamiroquai

Icons in music AND fashion

Talk about music - songs/albums that you love, and the ones that you don't.

Re: Icons in music AND fashion

Postby caroli on Fri Jan 27, 2012 7:04 pm

The thing is that when our parents listen to good Music, we get to develop our own taste and that frequently goes towards bands no one ever heard of.. my sister is 12 and she is the only one in her school who doesn't like Kesha (which might be my biggest proud :lol: )
caroli
Dynamite

Postby MissLisa_since1999 on Sun Jan 29, 2012 2:00 pm

Giba7 wrote:How do 20 year olds know all the 80's music? Duran Duran, Madonna, David Bowie & Prince?
Does your radio play them? Does your family play them?

:shock: But... Everybody knows Madonna (and Prince, I suppose) here!
caroli wrote:The thing is that when our parents listen to good Music, we get to develop our own taste and that frequently goes towards bands no one ever heard of.. my sister is 12 and she is the only one in her school who doesn't like Kesha (which might be my biggest proud :lol: )

Errr... what about when your parents don't really listen to music? :lol:
MissLisa_since1999
Mr Moon

Postby Giba7 on Sun Jan 29, 2012 6:53 pm

When Kesha first came out, I thought what a dumb song to "Tik Tok".
But ended up liking the dumb song!

Just interesting to hear what some of the younger people are listening to today.
My kids have their own likes.
Just making a special cd for one and this is what she chose:
Tik Tok, Jamiroquai, and Put a ring on it (Single ladies) :lol:
Giba7
Runaway

Postby curse_t_70 on Mon Jan 30, 2012 6:26 am

Giba7 wrote:And funny to see my nephew (almost 16) post actual album covers on his wall.

Hey...I was thinking of doing the same thing...some of the newer records coming out have the coolest covers.......Damn curse_t, when will you grow up!?
curse_t_70
Space Cowboy

Location: Victoria, B.C, Canada (home of the Day Glo Abortions))

Postby curse_t_70 on Mon Jan 30, 2012 7:49 pm

[img][IMG]http://i1229.photobucket.com/albums/ee468/curse_t_70/thumbnailaspx-3.jpg[/img]Image

The Who were a big influence on my style when I was 16.....listened to them, The Jam, The Specials 8) and wore skinny jeans, pointy shoes, lots of stripes and Keds..and the army parkas with the fur hoods ....and sewed on scooter rally patches on it.

[img][IMG]http://i1229.photobucket.com/albums/ee468/curse_t_70/IMGP2533.jpg[/img]Image
Me and some random "mods"circa 86
curse_t_70
Space Cowboy

Postby Jazzhole on Tue Jan 31, 2012 12:39 am

@ Giba7 this generation is very retro based. So yes there are a lot of fans from music between the 60's to 90's ( 70's are kinda ignored tho :roll:). I don't really know what is DuranDuran and only know David Bowie because it was rumoured he was coming to town. Anyway, Freedie Mercury, Kurt Cobain, The Beatles, The Rolling Stones, Bob Marley, David Bowie are played everywhere...

I don't listen to any of the above tho ( just Queen and Bob Marley sometimes...)

@ curse_t_70 Small FAces > The Who :P ... and i tought mods were extinct by the 80's but they are not :shock: and that's cool :D . I kinda like this beatnik generation movements.
Jazzhole
Supersonic

Postby curse_t_70 on Tue Jan 31, 2012 12:55 am

Jazzhole wrote:@ curse_t_70 Small FAces > The Who ... and i tought mods were extinct by the 80's but they are not and that's cool . I kinda like this beatnik generation movements.

I think there has always been an underground mod scene after the initial one in the late 1960s/70s. There is an annual scooter run here in B.C that happens on the May long weekend part of their route goes right by my house They come on the ferry from Vancouver and park dozens of scooters in front of our famous Empress hotel. It is impressive to see them on the streets with all the mirrors and customized add ons. I always thought the guy mods looked smart but their girls always looked rather homely......but its about the music too..which I am a fan.

Oh..and Small Faces were great..IchycooPark...and Steve Marriot was amazing.
curse_t_70
Space Cowboy

Postby Jazzhole on Tue Jan 31, 2012 1:04 am

curse_t_70 wrote:.but its about the music too..which I am a fan.

Oh..and Small Faces were great..IchycooPark...and Steve Marriot was amazing.

I never really understood mod's musical taste... they are supposed to like ska but mod brand bands sound somewhere between funky and rocky? Whoever is writing on wikipedia about them is leaving me confused.

Ichycoo Park lyrics are really junkie and unclassy. But that small faces song they used for GTA V trailer is killer!
Jazzhole
Supersonic

Postby curse_t_70 on Tue Jan 31, 2012 1:15 am

Jazzhole wrote: But that small faces song they used for GTA V trailer is killer!

Ahh..yes...the classic Ogden's Nut Gone Flake.
If you wanna know what a mod is.......watch Quadrophenia......it explains it all......and a very entertaining movie @ that.
curse_t_70
Space Cowboy

Postby Giba7 on Tue Jan 31, 2012 4:51 am

Wow! Totally lost here!
For me, the 70's was about Classic Rock. (Clapton, McCartney, Joplin)
And really why I can appreciate The Black Keys.

Great pic Curse_t!
Giba7
Runaway

Postby CosmicLea on Tue Jan 31, 2012 7:01 am

Very cool pic Curse_t! :D
CosmicLea
Space Cowboy

Postby caroli on Tue Jan 31, 2012 12:41 pm

THE CLASH! I would marry Joe Strummer right away (If he weren't dead already anyways..) :lol:
caroli
Dynamite

Postby curse_t_70 on Wed Feb 01, 2012 12:23 am

caroli wrote:THE CLASH!

When I re watched the Casbah video I posted......I saw the army boots they were wearing and remembered a time I used to wear those same clunky black things.....I remember being @ a party, young, shy and naive and this cool older guy who was known to be abnoxious said to me "Why do you wear those boots?" I can't member my response but I probably blushed......he said "because boots on a girl is sexy!" ....that made my night.
curse_t_70
Space Cowboy

Postby MissLisa_since1999 on Wed Feb 01, 2012 7:07 pm

Which video? Where is it?
curse_t_70 wrote:Me and some random "mods"circa 86

Wooow... Nice pic! Love it! It's exactly how we could imagine old american schools... (well... ok it might be a cliché but still...) the lockers, and the style... oh yeah the style... how cool is it!! This kind of relaxed atmosphere... :D
Jazzhole wrote:But that small faces song they used for GTA V trailer is killer!

Do you mean GTA V... the awesome video game?? :mrgreen:
MissLisa_since1999
Mr Moon

Postby curse_t_70 on Thu Feb 02, 2012 12:07 am

MissLisa_since1999 wrote:Wooow... Nice pic! Love it! It's exactly how we could imagine old american schools... (well... ok it might be a cliché but still...) the lockers, and the style... oh yeah the style... how cool is it!! This kind of relaxed atmosphere...

You can lump me in with the Americans if you want MissLisa.....but that is a photo of a Canadian school :wink: Actually my old high school and it is going to be knocked down soon...I think it was built in the 1940s.It probably isn't safe anymore.
curse_t_70
Space Cowboy

Postby Giba7 on Thu Feb 02, 2012 3:23 pm

curse_t_70 wrote:..I remember being @ a party, young, shy and naive and this cool older guy who was known to be abnoxious said to me "Why do you wear those boots?" I can't member my response but I probably blushed......he said "because boots on a girl is sexy!" ....that made my night.

:lol:
They were the thing! I had a pair of low heel, lace up boots to mid calf too!
But someone nicknamed me "half-pint" :x (like Laura on Little House) :lol:
oh I wish I could find a pic! I got rid of them.
Giba7
Runaway

Postby caroli on Thu Feb 02, 2012 11:41 pm

Those dudes from Dead or Alive were awesome too weren't they? Fashion Icons indeed! That hair could rule the world :lol:
caroli
Dynamite

Postby CosmicLea on Fri Feb 03, 2012 12:48 am

caroli wrote:Those dudes from Dead or Alive were awesome too weren't they? Fashion Icons indeed! That hair could rule the world :lol:

Have you seen what the lead singer of Dead or Alive (Pete Burns) looks like now? Major plastic surgery gone wrong! It's actually very sad. :(

http://acidcow.com/pics/5715-transformation-of-pete-burns-11-pics.html
CosmicLea
Space Cowboy

Postby curse_t_70 on Fri Feb 03, 2012 12:56 am

CosmicLea wrote:actually very sad.
I think I lost my appetite...more reason to grow old gracefully...but it looks as though he has other issues going on......
curse_t_70
Space Cowboy

Postby curse_t_70 on Fri Feb 03, 2012 6:03 am

Giba7 wrote:But someone nicknamed me "half-pint" (like Laura on Little House)

Oh :oops: this brings back baaaad mems......a girl @ elementary school said I looked just like Laura ingles and also the girl from Land of the Lost........I must admit I did look like those girls, long blond hair, bangs, freckles and oversized front teeth..you know the aquard stage :oops:
curse_t_70
Space Cowboy

Postby caroli on Fri Feb 03, 2012 4:12 pm

CosmicLea wrote:
caroli wrote:Those dudes from Dead or Alive were awesome too weren't they? Fashion Icons indeed! That hair could rule the world :lol:

Have you seen what the lead singer of Dead or Alive (Pete Burns) looks like now? Major plastic surgery gone wrong! It's actually very sad. :(

http://acidcow.com/pics/5715-transformation-of-pete-burns-11-pics.html

Yeah..I just googled him today..poor him, I mean he was kind of HOT in the videoclip and then he decided he wanted to be hotter and blew it! Just like MJ.. :?
caroli
Dynamite

Postby Giba7 on Fri Feb 03, 2012 4:34 pm

@ Curse_t -yeah, but they were new Nine West boots! And everything else was Salvation Army!

as for Pete Burns :shock: :o :? too bad.
But would he fit into that one hit wonder? Or were there more songs?
Giba7
Runaway

Postby MissLisa_since1999 on Fri Feb 03, 2012 6:28 pm

curse_t_70 wrote:
MissLisa_since1999 wrote:Wooow... Nice pic! Love it! It's exactly how we could imagine old american schools... (well... ok it might be a cliché but still...) the lockers, and the style... oh yeah the style... how cool is it!! This kind of relaxed atmosphere...

You can lump me in with the Americans if you want MissLisa.....but that is a photo of a Canadian school :wink: Actually my old high school and it is going to be knocked down soon...I think it was built in the 1940s.It probably isn't safe anymore.

I know it was taken in a Canadian school! :wink: Wooow 1940s!... mmm in fact my high school was built in the 19th century... totally forgot about that. :mrgreen:

caroli wrote:Yeah..I just googled him today..poor him, I mean he was kind of HOT in the videoclip and then he decided he wanted to be hotter and blew it! Just like MJ.. :?

Na na na... that's really really worse than Michael... You could at least look at him! :?
MissLisa_since1999
Mr Moon

Postby caroli on Fri Feb 03, 2012 7:40 pm

:lol: Thing is: Pete wanted to look like a girl and something went horribly wrong :lol:
caroli
Dynamite

Postby Giba7 on Tue Feb 28, 2012 8:55 pm

Well, I think Led Zeppelin has got to fit in here somewhere!
I don't think another band (well maybe the Beatles) made so many great songs!
Every single song was perfect!
And well, you decide if they were also icons in fashion! Jimmy Page was always gorgeous!
http://www.google.com/imgres?q=led+zepp ... x=49&ty=62
http://media.photobucket.com/image/led% ... n.jpg?o=79
Giba7
Runaway

PreviousNext

Return to Music Chat