Home
Jamiroquai

Icons in music AND fashion

Talk about music - songs/albums that you love, and the ones that you don't.

Icons in music AND fashion

Postby curse_t_70 on Sat Jan 21, 2012 9:49 pm

David Bowie the only guy that can pull off a mullet......luv the space odyssey look with all the sequins, ruffled shirts, platform boots and colourful suits..hmm who did this first?.... David Bowie or Elton John?
curse_t_70
Space Cowboy

Location: Victoria, B.C, Canada (home of the Day Glo Abortions))

Re: Icons in music AND fashion

Postby StormeyG on Sun Jan 22, 2012 8:05 pm

I don't know who did this look first, but they should be locked up for it. That thing you posted doesn't even look like a man!! Okey, shoot me now...I probably just made fun of your biggest Icon...... (never got david bowie, thought he was scary..probably a no no to post here too)
StormeyG
Space Cowboy

Postby curse_t_70 on Mon Jan 23, 2012 12:47 am

StormeyG wrote:.I probably just made fun of your biggest Icon..

No, no Stormey, not offended..he is not my biggest icon. I just grew up with my dad listening to him and love "Ashes to ashes" and "Changes"http://youtu.be/pl3vxEudif8 I am surprised @ your comment only because you were in the Goth scene..and don't all the guys look rather feminine with black nailpolish and all..they look a little scary to me and they are not even on stage! I think the whole image on stage is important but you have to have talent as well..bands like Kiss (which I am not a fan of) use the makeup and costumes to create an atmosphere and some excitement. I don't think Bowie was trying to shock like Marilyn Manson (the poser!) I think he was expressing himself and his own issues. :roll: I would see Jay even without the feathers and tassels :wink:
curse_t_70
Space Cowboy

Postby curse_t_70 on Mon Jan 23, 2012 2:44 am

The lovely Jack White........musical talent and style.
curse_t_70
Space Cowboy

Postby StormeyG on Mon Jan 23, 2012 4:43 am

you are right..I was into goth, but I seriously never had a goth boyfriend. I guess for a goth life is a stage! And I loved wearing beautiful dresses everyday.
I used to be into Kiss..don't think it was for the make up and clothes, but if I listen to the music now, It couldn't have been for the music either :lol:

Jamiroquai is the only band that I am still into after all these years and music styles that I listened to. But that is so easy to post here...
StormeyG
Space Cowboy

Postby Giba7 on Mon Jan 23, 2012 5:29 am

:lol:
Isn't that the RS cover of Rolling Stone Curse_t? I think Bowie had developed an alter-ego. Didn't quite read the article, but read he had had many suicides in his family and I think that's where Ziggy came from.

As for Jack White (and he's not bad looking) -definitely got that Goth look, and I'm from the same area. There was a big Goth scene here. I wasn't Goth, but we wore a lot of black.
I rebelled by bringing color into the clubs -orange, red and lime green, or silver!
Today I see maybe the Emo thing with the Converse flat tennishoes.

And the Black Keys interview says White had dissed them in an interview, so they didn't let him into their studio in Tennesee when he visited!

@Stormey -yeah, if you liked Kiss, it wasn't for the music! :lol:
Giba7
Runaway

Postby StormeyG on Mon Jan 23, 2012 5:34 am

Giba7 wrote::lol:
@Stormey -yeah, if you liked Kiss, it wasn't for the music! :lol:

must have been the fireworks then :lol:
StormeyG
Space Cowboy

Postby Giba7 on Mon Jan 23, 2012 5:39 am

I remember my uncle playing all the Kiss albums! A lot of people liked them!
Giba7
Runaway

Postby caroli on Mon Jan 23, 2012 7:29 pm

David Bowie <3<3..awesome man is awesome, and talented and totally awesome (once more) :lol: As for music and fashion icons...Hyde from L'Arc~en~Ciel; I'm too lazy to post pictures here but Google does the trick :mrgreen:
caroli
Dynamite

Postby Jazzhole on Mon Jan 23, 2012 9:01 pm

Interesting post!

@Curse_t_70, by fashion icons you mean musicians who have a nice style that you can actually inspire on ( Jay Kay, Justin Timberlake...) or musicians whith a peculiar image ( Michael Jackson and preety much every guy dressed cool but would make a peacock look normal) ?
Jazzhole
Supersonic

Postby Giba7 on Mon Jan 23, 2012 9:25 pm

Jazzhole wrote: or musicians whith a peculiar image ( Michael Jackson and preety much every guy dressed cool but would make a peacock look normal) ?

:lol:

Jay Kay is definitely an icon -whichever way you look at it. With his hats and dance.
Chaka Khan definitely an icon too -her hair and voice just stand for itself.

But I just bought for $5, Chaka Khan S.O.U.L. which has got to be her worst live recording! :shock: :lol:
She probably signed off on it in a state of insobriety
Giba7
Runaway

Postby Giba7 on Tue Jan 24, 2012 2:47 am

I have to admit, as a kid David Bowie scared me a bit with his looks.
But I loved the music of the 70's.

Marvin Gaye is one of my favorite artists because he had such a voice with something to say.
But he evolved through a huge career, and his style changed. Just like a real artist. Didn't stand still.
But this is the style I think of him in; deep in urban contemplation.

And maybe he influenced Jamiroquai's early stuff, because they had a lot to say too.
Giba7
Runaway

Postby caroli on Tue Jan 24, 2012 7:19 pm

Soo..we are comparing a genious like David Bowie, who influenced entire generations based on his character Ziggy Stardust, with Jay Kay, who is the lead singer of a band a gazilion people never heard of and wears blue trousers with t.shirts in every single ocasion? :lol:
caroli
Dynamite

Postby Jazzhole on Tue Jan 24, 2012 10:06 pm

caroli wrote:Soo..we are comparing a genious like David Bowie, who influenced entire generations based on his character Ziggy Stardust, with Jay Kay, who is the lead singer of a band a gazilion people never heard of and wears blue trousers with t.shirts in every single ocasion? :lol:

Ofcourse not... we can't compare Jay with Bowie... Bowie would lose! :lol:
Jazzhole
Supersonic

Postby Giba7 on Tue Jan 24, 2012 10:22 pm

caroli wrote:Soo..we are comparing a genious like David Bowie, who influenced entire generations based on his character Ziggy Stardust, with Jay Kay, who is the lead singer of a band a gazilion people never heard of and wears blue trousers with t.shirts in every single ocasion? :lol:

Oooh, was that a dig? :lol:
Hmmm. well I'm older than you and this is how I see it!
Bowie has about 20 years on Jamiroquai. Different generations!
Bowie, kinda the punk that influenced Rock. Yet he associated with Iggy Pop & Bing Crosby :shock: His music has full circle (25 studio albums). Bowie's music continues to play on.

As for Jamiroquai, JayKay probably grew up on Bowie, like me (same generation). Jamiroquai has been all over the world in popularity too! They've had their niche in music too: acid jazz/funk. But the best thing about Jamiroquai, is their music is quality stuff.
Jamiroquai is the band, I think, that'll actually come back around in popularity for their back catalogue.

As for what someone wears, who cares! :lol: Blue trousers (or jeans) and t-shirts suits me just fine!
Giba7
Runaway

Postby curse_t_70 on Wed Jan 25, 2012 12:13 am

:shock: Do you think Jay owns jeans?? Never crossed my mind....and I can't imagine it? hmmm......
curse_t_70
Space Cowboy

Postby Giba7 on Wed Jan 25, 2012 4:50 am

curse_t_70 wrote::shock: Do you think Jay owns jeans?? Never crossed my mind....and I can't imagine it? hmmm......

Hmmm...don't know! :lol:

As for fashion (in hats) I'm thinking Marvin probably influenced JK and Eminem!
It is a huge statement. To me, for each artist it represents the function of clothing. Not fashion.
And maybe represent the poor, urban. And anonymity of mankind.
Giba7
Runaway

Postby caroli on Wed Jan 25, 2012 2:56 pm

Hmm.. Bowie is an icon in Music AND Fashion (as the title of the topic suggests).. Jay is a singer who wears hats. I do realise this is the Jamiroquai forum and we are the JPP but seriously, when Bowie dies it will be noticed everywhere just like MJ or Amy Winehouse (even in a smaller scale) and I'm very sorry to say that I don't predict the same future for our friend here..
caroli
Dynamite

Postby Giba7 on Wed Jan 25, 2012 5:07 pm

I disagree. And really, how we perceive artists is all perspective!
Either Bowie didn't hit me as hard as he should have, or I just think better of Jamiroquai's future!
But I guess Jay'll have to go on for another 20 years to really see! :lol:

But I think the subject is misc: Icons in music and fashion.
The artists don't need to be complete equals, do they? And they really aren't competing, right?

I'll add in Prince! Who btw is coming to my town this June! :mrgreen:
He was an early artist who crossed over from music into film.
Giba7
Runaway

Postby caroli on Thu Jan 26, 2012 12:09 am

aaah Prince <3<3<3 I absolutely LOVE him (but I think you noticed it already) :lol: and I will add Simon Le Bon from Duran Duran.. :mrgreen:
caroli
Dynamite

Postby Giba7 on Thu Jan 26, 2012 4:00 pm

Duran Duran! Are they making a comeback?
How do 20 year olds know all the 80's music? Duran Duran, Madonna, David Bowie & Prince?
Does your radio play them? Does your family play them?

We barely have stations that play this stuff today. My kids don't know who they are. (well, maybe Prince)
One classic station that plays 70's rock, so some Bowie. But no DD or Madonna.
Giba7
Runaway

Postby StormeyG on Thu Jan 26, 2012 7:13 pm

Now how about this beauty! Annie Lennox, David Bowie and Queen http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fCP2-Bfh ... re=related

What's the word on Freddie Mercury? Would he be concidered an Icon?
StormeyG
Space Cowboy

Postby caroli on Fri Jan 27, 2012 12:15 am

Freddy Mercury is THE icon..love him soooo much! and yes, I was raised listening to Music (with capital M) , not that mainstream crap MTV wants to pimp all over :lol:
caroli
Dynamite

Postby curse_t_70 on Fri Jan 27, 2012 12:43 am

Giba7 wrote:How do 20 year olds know all the 80's music?

Well these kids have moms and dads that grew up with the stuff.......techanically :lol: I could have a 20year old childwhich I don't and if I was a "mainstream" teen in the 80s which I was not I would probably be feeding all that retro stuff to my kids...... but nooo.. my kids get to hear Jamiroquai, White stripes, Black keys, Supergrass, Slayer, Voivod...lets just say they get a wide variety!
curse_t_70
Space Cowboy

Postby Giba7 on Fri Jan 27, 2012 3:01 pm

Yes! Freddie Mercury is the icon :D
And my kids do know Queen.
Curse_t -yes, whatever the mom likes will be played (cuz the dad here doesn't care!)
But some artists won't be played, and that's the way it goes. :P

And funny to see my nephew (almost 16) post actual album covers on his wall.
Obviously from his parent's collection: U2 and other meh artists.
Giba7
Runaway

Next

Return to Music Chat