Home
Jamiroquai

Which concerts will you attend soon?

Talk about music - songs/albums that you love, and the ones that you don't.

Re: Which concerts will you attend soon?

Postby Giba7 on Sat Nov 22, 2014 12:13 am

I saw Stevie Wonder last night.
no opener, and went on 85 minutes late to accommodate the snowy weather and backed up traffic.
He just sang and played for 3 hours! Amazing. Kinda like a jam session. 5 backup girls. :wink:
I was brought to tears on the first tune, "Love is in need of Love, today", it just came over me (and I am not overly emotional! :lol:
And the most famous song, "Isn't she lovely" the crying baby, was on stage singing as an adult!
we got moved up to front row for the second half, and I truly saw and felt Love. Happiness.
And he spoke on gun violence, and loving your neighbor regardless of race.
He said being blind is a gift, because he sees people for who they truly are.
And in the second set, he started crying on stage, really sobbing. :cry:
He misses his mom, childhood and is grateful for all he has.
I believe Stevie has a Higher Grounding, and truly celebrates this in his faith and beliefs.
But he also had quite the personality and while thanking everybody for where he's gotten, he thanked his ex-girlfriends. Cheeky guy! :lol: He is real. (this is what I say about Detroit).
Love is everything! and this explains how he's had so much love in his life! :wink: :wink:
Giba7
Runaway

Postby joliefille on Sat Nov 22, 2014 12:46 am

Awwwh Giba. Lovely recap. Thank you - so looking forward to seeing him next week.

Just sounds amazing.

I surprisingly enjoyed the Judas Priest concert and had an amazing time - music is so universal; a great connector.
joliefille
Supersonic

Postby Giba7 on Sun Nov 23, 2014 9:04 pm

have fun joliefille!
Giba7
Runaway

Postby joliefille on Tue Nov 25, 2014 7:59 am

Everyone I know who has seen him live - recaps it as a spiritual amazing experience.

I was at a party recently and one guy who had seen Stevie several times said it is one of those things I have to do in my lifetime. This guy also saw Frank Sinatra in concert :-)

Anyways, my bed is calling and I can barely construct a proper sentence.

It is so funny being here - I wonder if the stereotype is true that Americans overshare. Haha! My parents cringed at any personal oversharing w/ strangers. haha! love them.
joliefille
Supersonic

Postby Giba7 on Fri Nov 28, 2014 3:42 am

so did you see Stevie live?

do Americans overshare? I hate stereotypes!
Giba7
Runaway

Postby joliefille on Fri Nov 28, 2014 3:00 pm

I see him tomorrow :-) in Vegas.

(and again in December for his charity show in LA if I can fit it in my schedule. Work has been hectic which is a good/bad thing. I prefer to chill out. Hope you had a nice Thanksgiving.)
joliefille
Supersonic

Postby Giba7 on Sun Nov 30, 2014 8:59 pm

hope you had fun!
Giba7
Runaway

Postby joliefille on Tue Dec 02, 2014 7:39 am

Giba - Wow - fun does not even scratch the surface of the concert. I honestly doubt that anything I write will do it justice so I will jot some stuff that stood out.

First, he was just a super funny - yes cheeky - chill person - I loved how he engaged with the audience and his sense of humor. Did he do the DJ ticktickboom persona at the end in Michigan? I had an incredible seat very center - and he is so in touch with the audience you forget he is blind and feel he was just looking at you. I do not know why I was expecting otherwise but he's so normal and funny.

I loved when he just went off started jamming on the keyboard, on the harmonica - (after he said something to the extent - "amazing, what I can do with my lips" - haha!), the sitar. Like with Elton John playing piano solos, you forget these guys are serious musicians in addition to being a singers.

Awwwh - his voice - he has preserved it well. It blew me away how great he sounded and how the songs sounded just as good - in same cases better - than the recorded versions. I forgot about how much I loved "joy inside my tears" - I have not heard that in forever. I never realized that "if it's magic" is such a perfect song about love. He opened with "love's in need of love today." He did take an intermission - very brief and very well deserved. "knocks me off my feet" made me melt even more than it does any way.

I think - or know - I am a bigger fan of "As" than most of those surrounding me. I stood and danced and sang the whole song with him (off-key I am sure :-)

The concert was just an amazing party that continued afterwards - everyone was in such high spirits. Stevie draws such an interesting, diverse cross-section but his spirit was infectious and you could tell people were still feeling it after. I am still glowing.

There's so much more . . . I was impressed how he could comment on serious social issues - Trayvon Martin, Brown - gun violence - yes - he got choked up about this; but yet he still kept everyone positive and upbeat.

Mike Tyson was there and people were cheering which I thought was funny.

But I better wrap this up before it times out. But yes, wow! - I hope I am able to see him again this month. It was a lot to take in seeing him live for the first time - I am still high off the memories.

Now I want a concert from him that is not an album concert - his medley of great hits at the end was incredible. But I will take what I can get because it was one of the best concerts I have been too.
joliefille
Supersonic

Postby joliefille on Tue Dec 02, 2014 7:44 am

I made it in time. There was no way I was rewriting that.

Oh, I thought the back-up singers were phenomenal - great energy; even the two really pregnant ones. That was a trip. He joked about the triplet rumours too.

After the concert, I just appreciate him even more although now he just seems like anyone of us (albeit with exceptional talent and genius.)

Thanks for bringing up the concert here - I tend to get so focused on work and just life stuff and balancing it all that I forget to take time out and enjoy the things I really love. I am glad I took out time to see Stevie Wonder. It exceeded my expectations by far.
joliefille
Supersonic

Postby Giba7 on Wed Dec 03, 2014 5:11 am

oh I'm so glad you got to see Stevie! I hope you are able to go to the other one too!
The entire album concert is a new concept to me. And I've been to a lot of concerts! I would've loved to see him sing some other hits. But in reality, he sang B-side songs, that nobody else has seen live. He said he hadn't toured the album "Songs in the Key...", maybe possibly because he was a new daddy.

He was very silly! and he jammed - No short songs, all extended plays.
I actually didn't stay for the encore because he went on 90 minutes late due to snow (played past midnight) and I had an early morning, so maybe I missed DJ Tick Tick Boom!

But it truly was one of my favorite concerts.
Giba7
Runaway

Postby Giba7 on Fri Apr 10, 2015 4:26 pm

Yay! I saw Prince last night, second time!
He came to downtown Detroit, first time in 11 years. It sold out in 8 minutes.
I didn't actually get tickets but my friend used her connection. ;)
He said he's got hits from 17 years (not days).
It purple rained all night (poured). His show was great and he had 5 encores!!
He did a set, then announced he was Prince, said good night. Then would come out again! :lol:
I was happy he did a lot from Purple Rain and his older stuff. In fact, one of his encores he came out alone playing the piano for "How Come you don't call me Anymore"! The highlight of the show!
But no "I wanna be your lover". :cry: :cry: The one song Detroit plays consistently.
But he played music from 777-9311, Sheila E., Sinbad O'Connor, you name it, if he wrote it was there in a montage! He also did a set of religious inspiration and jamming.

But his highness had people waiting outside 1/2 hour past the show start time (in the rain). And it was made clear no cameras or photos taken. But then during the Purple Rain set he allowed everyone to pull them out. But some time after, (and before) the security were plucking people from their seats if they were using a phone camera! Kicking them out!!

Prince paves his way, he thinks he's the sh*t, so he is! :lol: :lol:
He could've sold out a much larger venue. And he knows it!
Giba7
Runaway

Postby ErinUSA on Sun May 03, 2015 6:08 am

Sounds awesome about Prince!!

Too bad about the camera phones. We are in a different time now, EVERYONE has a camera phone (and video to boot). That's just the way it is...they should embrace it for what it is.

But it sounds like it was an awesome show!! Aside from the waiting in the rain...who does he think he is...Axl Rose? LOL... :wink:
ErinUSA

Postby Giba7 on Sun May 03, 2015 2:22 pm

ErinUSA wrote:But it sounds like it was an awesome show!! Aside from the waiting in the rain...who does he think he is...Axl Rose? LOL... :wink:

:lol:

So I heard "Virtual Insanity" on my radio this beautiful Sunday morning :D
friend asked me if I was going to George Clinton this summer, so hopefully a few concerts will be planned!
Giba7
Runaway

Postby ErinUSA on Mon May 18, 2015 9:06 am

So, I just returned from the Doheny Blues Festival in Dana Point, CA. It was a two day festival packed full of some incredible artists! Of course, the sad passing of B.B. King was recognized all weekend long. Long live the King...

Anyway, I was blown away by the following bands (and I got some cool pics, too):

Bonnie Raitt - incredible, incredible, incredible.
Paul Rodgers - always a classic rocker at heart.
The Mavericks - energy and flow like nothing else.
Los Lobos - the best mix of everything musical.
ErinUSA

Postby Giba7 on Thu May 28, 2015 12:47 am

Erin -glad you had fun!
I love Paul Rodgers and Bad Company's music!

Sad for B.B. King, who was a legend in his own time.

And interesting that although Elvis covered many blues musicians, people thought of his tunes as his music. It took the English blues musicians (Led Zeppelin, Eric Clapton... ) to give the American Blues musicians their recognition back in the 1970's.

or something like that! :lol:
Giba7
Runaway

Postby Giba7 on Thu Aug 20, 2015 3:24 am

Stevie Wonder is planning another round of "Songs in the Key of Life" concerts!
:mrgreen:

c'est magnifique!

how would you know all this stuff? you wouldn't
Giba7
Runaway

Postby joliefille on Mon Aug 24, 2015 5:28 pm

Wish Stevie would do a tour for "Innervisions" or "Talking Book" (although I would more than happily see "Songs In the Key of Life" again. One of my favorite concerts.
joliefille
Supersonic

Postby Giba7 on Thu Aug 27, 2015 11:09 pm

I saw Earth, Wind & Fire last night with Chicago.
It seems like an unlikely pairing, but they both use the brass, so it kinda brings them together.
It opened with Chicago, then Earth Wind & Fire did 2 sets. Chicago came back out, and then they both performed together. They want to uplift people with their music. I thought it was fantastic! It was happy music!

what a great night, great company, great party and great weather for an outdoor arena!
I got moved up to the very front, and went home with a guitar pic & drum stick.
:mrgreen:
Giba7
Runaway

Postby Giba7 on Sun Sep 13, 2015 6:09 pm

as soon as I think about seeing the Weeknd in concert he's already announced the tour
Giba7
Runaway

Postby ErinUSA on Mon Sep 28, 2015 6:28 pm

No plans for anything yet.

But there are always good shows popping around New Year's...so we'll see!
ErinUSA

Postby Giba7 on Tue Sep 29, 2015 4:53 pm

Erin -I hope you go to something soon!!
I have seen some fabulous people just in one year!

Earth, Wind & Fire
Erykah Badu
Kid Rock
Prince
Stevie Wonder
The Black Keys
Giba7
Runaway

Postby Giba7 on Sun Nov 22, 2015 9:42 pm

I hate to brag but I saw Stevie Wonder again last night! :mrgreen:
The crazy thing is we had another blizzard -it snowed the entire day, and we actually missed the first song and a half, battling the backed up traffic.

I think his voice is still fabulous, and they must have the most incredible sound system ever!
Funny part when he mocked Fetty Wap! The backup girls were incredible, pure raw talent.
I love how Jamiroquai has backup girls too!
Giba7
Runaway

Previous

Return to Music Chat