Home
Jamiroquai

Why the dislike for Blue Skies?

Let Jamiroquai take you on a White Knuckle Ride. Come here to talk about anything related to the new album...

Why the dislike for Blue Skies?

Postby eschoendorff on Fri Dec 10, 2010 1:34 am

I happen to like the song, but I am generally tolerant of other opinions. Still, it seems that many (not just on this board) have expressed a real dislike for the tune.

Really? Why?

Is it because it doesn't measure up to previous expectations of what Jamiroquai sounds like? Or is there something about the song's structure/arrangement/layout? What's the deal?

I must confess that when I first heard the tune, it wasn't my favorite... but Blue Skies has really grown on me with each subsequent listening. At first it seemed a little too "typical ballad." However, the "Jamiroquai-isms" are in the tiny details. Serious.

Do me just one favor - give Blue Skies another honest listen before you post...
eschoendorff
Supersonic

Re: Why the dislike for Blue Skies?

Postby BlackCapricornDay on Fri Dec 10, 2010 4:11 am

Hey Ed .. it's not that we haaate thing song no, the song is just fine, well-made, well-written,well-sung there's nothing wrong with the production structure or arrangement nor ANY Jamiroquai's works, they're never making bad songs, it's just the matter of individual taste. As i stated before all songs in RDLS grows on me, i never even skipped BS.

Maybe, in my personal opinion people are kinda surprised hearing BS because of it's ballad, poppy and it's just so non-jamiroquai like we've ever heard before, and (again this is just my personal opinion) i think it's just 'too standard' for Jamiroquai's class, like you know they can co better than that!So, no offense right Ed .. thing song is good, really i did enjoy listening to it but compare it with another singles in new album, this is still my least favorite. Maybe tomorrow will be my most favorite, who knows? All grows.. grow and grow..
BlackCapricornDay
Supersonic

Postby Shaolin325 on Fri Dec 10, 2010 4:26 am

I listened again.

Where do I start? Assuming the song sounds the same on the album as it does on you tube I still don’t like it. My first reaction to it was “what?”, “huh?, “really?”, and then ultimately….“why?”.

My feelings now aren't that extreme. I can listen to it, but I still don’t like the song. JK did not put his stamp on this song at all. There’s no fire/soul/passion...all the things that make Jason Kay "JK" in my opinion.

Sidebar:
Someone posted a subject on this site or one of the fan sites about JK recording an album singing his favorite songs.
I don’t know about that, but I would love to hear him sing some of MY favorite songs. I would start with R.Kelly’s “Strip For You” ….three knocks at the door my baby, my trench coat hits the floor my baby......

Maybe this should be added to the “Christmas Wish List” thread :D
Shaolin325
Supersonic

Postby caroli on Fri Dec 10, 2010 7:00 pm

Blue Skies irritates me from the beggining. It's too slow, too sensitive, to boring maybe? I can't take it, maybe it'ss because I'm just too young to that. Probably in some years I will love it, right now I'm in for the kill! :lol:
caroli
Dynamite

Postby Ninochka on Sat Dec 11, 2010 1:30 pm

caroli wrote:Blue Skies irritates me from the beggining. It's too slow, too sensitive, to boring maybe?

Yeah I'm thinking the same way... first time I heard Blue Skies I was like, "Wow, this is amazing!" But then after some weeks I think it's a dull track, and now I think it's start to growing on me... :)
Ninochka
Mr Moon

Postby Giba7 on Sat Dec 11, 2010 4:25 pm

Such a funny post Eschoendorff!
I think for me, songs that come from pain are just better! It's too happy! :lol:

Really, I agree with BDC. And it's just a matter of choice, and it's so different for them.
And as Shaolin wrote:
There’s no fire/soul/passion...all the things that make Jason Kay "JK" in my opinion.

Exactly.

It's a good song. Kinda simple. Pulling back from chaos I assume.
This is the one song I would re-arrange. :wink:
@ Caroli -I think it's the opposite. The older I get, the more I expression I want!
Giba7
Runaway

Postby R I T A on Sat Dec 11, 2010 6:55 pm

i just miss the groove in it :(
R I T A
Supersonic

Postby caroli on Sat Dec 11, 2010 10:42 pm

R I T A wrote:i just miss the groove in it :(

Totally! There's a lack of spirit in it...a happy spirit :lol:
caroli
Dynamite

Postby MrsMadHattersHat on Sun Dec 12, 2010 12:20 am

Oh I like the song,
and my son is singing it a lot.
But now that I have te cd, it's not my favorite one on the album!
MrsMadHattersHat
Supersonic

Postby Psyris on Sun Dec 12, 2010 7:31 pm

I love Blue Skies. It's very sensitive and yet firm in some kind of way. The way I experience it, the song's about ending a bad chapter in your life and moving on and that things can only get better. The firmness is in telling that you know you're right, no matter what others say and you keep on moving in the direction you believe is the right one for you. All this accompanied by beautiful music that perfectly fits the feeling in the lyrics.

There’s no fire/soul/passion...all the things that make Jason Kay "JK" in my opinion.

Quite the opposite! The song is very JK imho. Overly energetic, happy-appearing bouncing balls usually behave like this to hide their veeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeery emotional and sensitive, and therefore vulnerable, side. Remember he's a nature boy! The determination in Blue Skies shows a lot of passion, doesn't it? If well-balanced and focused, passion can appear tranquil.
Psyris

Postby Psyris on Sun Dec 12, 2010 7:43 pm

caroli wrote:Totally! There's a lack of spirit in it...a happy spirit :lol:

It's about stuff that went awry but also about things getting better from now on. There's a lot of optimism in the song.
Psyris

Postby Shaolin325 on Mon Dec 13, 2010 1:50 am

Quite the opposite! The song is very JK imho. Overly energetic, happy-appearing bouncing balls usually behave like this to hide their veeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeery emotional and sensitive, and therefore vulnerable, side. Remember he's a nature boy! The determination in Blue Skies shows a lot of passion, doesn't it? If well-balanced and focused, passion can appear tranquil.[/quote]

The words may be "overly energetic" and "happy", but JK does not seem that way to me in this song. And I'm not sure what "well-balanced" and "focused" passion means. But if you mean subdued, than this style can still have some fire. Listen to "Sensuality" by the Isley Brothers. Very, very subdued performance. Ron Isley sounds like he coud be laying down singing this song. But, the fire is still there, in my opinion.
Shaolin325
Supersonic

Postby BlackCapricornDay on Mon Dec 13, 2010 3:15 am

Uu .. i like this 2 sides of opinion about this song .. :P
BlackCapricornDay
Supersonic

Postby Psyris on Mon Dec 13, 2010 12:27 pm

Shaolin325 wrote:
The words may be "overly energetic" and "happy", but JK does not seem that way to me in this song.

I meant JK, not the lyrics to this particular song :-) In Blue Skies he shows a different side of himself and he deals with all the, to put it nicely, stuff he wasn't pleased with in the last couple of years. That's how I see it.
Psyris

Postby Giba7 on Mon Dec 13, 2010 4:33 pm

Psyris wrote:I love Blue Skies. It's very sensitive and yet firm in some kind of way. The way I experience it, the song's about ending a bad chapter in your life and moving on and that things can only get better. The firmness is in telling that you know you're right, no matter what others say and you keep on moving in the direction you believe is the right one for you. All this accompanied by beautiful music that perfectly fits the feeling in the lyrics.

Quite the opposite! The song is very JK imho. Overly energetic, happy-appearing bouncing balls usually behave like this to hide their veeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeery emotional and sensitive, and therefore vulnerable, side. Remember he's a nature boy! The determination in Blue Skies shows a lot of passion, doesn't it? If well-balanced and focused, passion can appear tranquil.

Psyris -Awesome perspective.

I see it as very positive lyrics, about pulling back from the "White knuckle" days. Beautiful. It is kinda simple, and pure. For me not showing the vulnerable side. It is well-written and well sung. One song that I can pass by. I can't put my finger on it. Maybe one day I'll be yearning for this song.

For me, I like more passion in the ballads. And he's done it in other songs. "Half the Man", "Spend a Lifetime", & "The World that he Wants". I think I like a little blues in the ballads, and I think the pain is gone. :wink: But I'm glad if he's happy!
Giba7
Runaway

Postby Lightfoot on Fri Dec 31, 2010 5:41 pm

the feeling i get from this song is warm and starts to make me feel my age. i have been listening to jami for quite some time now. and as they get older so do i. i change with the time as does the music. as an artist i know that there are songs i make that are really important to me and i think are really good. however the public doesnt think that way. i agree that it was a lil mundane but considering they are finally themselves again it sounds more like a triumph song. a great man once said listen between the lines of the song. u will be shocked at what u find. :)
Lightfoot
Space Cowboy

Postby Giba7 on Sat Jan 01, 2011 6:33 pm

So funny that this song presents the most controversy!! :lol:

Lightfoot -I see it as reflective and mature. Easier to see when you are older and have lived a bit.
It is simple and pure. No spice. It's different for Jamiroquai. But the whole album is a variety.

Maybe listening between the lines on BS is finding a new light to follow.
Giba7
Runaway

Postby soundjunky on Mon Jan 03, 2011 4:12 pm

BlackCapricornDay wrote:Hey Ed .. it's not that we haaate thing song no, the song is just fine, well-made, well-written,well-sung there's nothing wrong with the production structure or arrangement nor ANY Jamiroquai's works, they're never making bad songs, it's just the matter of individual taste. As i stated before all songs in RDLS grows on me, i never even skipped BS.

I agree.

BlackCapricornDay wrote:Maybe, in my personal opinion people are kinda surprised hearing BS because of it's ballad, poppy and it's just so non-jamiroquai like we've ever heard before...
R I T A wrote:i just miss the groove in it :(

I think these nail it - the other slow songs seem to have a more upbeat vibe than this song;
I normally listen to the album straight through ~ and this one seems to be the only one missing a "hook"...

Have many of you heard the Fred Falke remix of this song?
Aside from being an obvious remix track (I mean anyone should know it's a remix track without having heard the original) - it really puts the song into a new perspective, and for me at least, it made me listen a lot more intently to the lyrics;

I agree it's a good song - but if it was released on something akin to the late night tales release (as the single Jay track) it would have probably stood out as a refreshing Jamiroquai song which was reaching for a different sound - but on this album, it's just too easy to pass over for more "traditional" Jamiroquai sounding tracks...

well, that's my two cents. :)
soundjunky

Postby Alia on Thu Jan 06, 2011 12:28 pm

the song is a turning point in the middle of a cycle. an awakening, a realization, an "uh oh", what am i going to do now... considering this is what i am in. at least that's what it seems like to me. makes me think of a person in crisis, who has to make some tough decisions. i like blue skies. it helped soothe me when i was anxious.
Alia

Postby Giba7 on Thu Apr 28, 2011 7:18 pm

So here is a later review of Blue Skies:

The vocals are very well done, delicate, and careful. And the lyrics very bright and optimistic, looking back at uncertainty.
The music is simple and safe. I like the lead guitar twang.
I thought I read Donny Hathaway was an influence for parts of the album, not sure if it was for this song. (He would be a great vocal to study from.)
A great song probably down the road, looking back at the path Jamiroquai (or I assume Jay), took.

But I think it is the arrangement which makes this song stand out for why it is different.
Maybe an older style, 60's or 70's arrangement. It keeps coming back to the chorus, and builds up to the modulation (maybe this makes it sound a bit old-fashioned.) It continues past when you expect it to end!

But the retro feel is kinda popular today with some of the current musicians
(CeeLo, Adele, Winehouse, Duffy), maybe this is what they are going for. :mrgreen:
Giba7
Runaway

Postby MrsMadHattersHat on Fri Apr 29, 2011 5:47 am

Thank you Giba! That's nice to read!
MrsMadHattersHat
Supersonic

Postby BlackCapricornDay on Wed May 04, 2011 5:23 am

Hmm Giba.. are you in commemorating RDLS 1 semester a go?
BlackCapricornDay
Supersonic

Postby Giba7 on Wed May 04, 2011 1:18 pm

BlackCapricornDay wrote:Hmm Giba.. are you in commemorating RDLS 1 semester a go?

What do you mean?
I'm only giving my updated review. Doesn't really matter. :oops:
But let's talk music!
Giba7
Runaway

Postby BlackCapricornDay on Thu May 05, 2011 5:33 am

No, i mean seems you had made re-review of some songs .. and that reminds me it is almost half of the year since the album coming .. :wink:
BlackCapricornDay
Supersonic

Postby Giba7 on Thu May 05, 2011 12:57 pm

BlackCapricornDay wrote:No, i mean seems you had made re-review of some songs .. and that reminds me it is almost half of the year since the album coming .. :wink:

Yes. I wrote on the songs the first month. But I think of the album differently now. Don't you?
And, well, this is a website for a band! Let's talk music!
Giba7
Runaway

Next

Return to Rock Dust Light Star