Home
Jamiroquai

Album reviews [ FANS]

Let Jamiroquai take you on a White Knuckle Ride. Come here to talk about anything related to the new album...

Re: Album reviews [ FANS]

Postby Ninochka on Sat Nov 20, 2010 4:20 am

Err... what's a dixie? :?:
Ninochka
Mr Moon

Postby funkyette on Sat Nov 20, 2010 4:27 am

Ninochka wrote:Err... what's a dixie? :?:

oops i meant to say dixieland music, it originated (early 20th century) in the southern region of USA and its like jazz
funkyette
Supersonic

Postby caroli on Sat Nov 20, 2010 10:02 pm

Got the Deluxe Edition yesterday! Awesome and just to add...Angeline, Hang it Over and White Knuckle Ride are the most played... also great remixes :mrgreen:
caroli
Dynamite

Postby Ninochka on Sun Nov 21, 2010 2:28 pm

funkyette wrote:
Ninochka wrote:Err... what's a dixie? :?:

oops i meant to say dixieland music, it originated (early 20th century) in the southern region of USA and its like jazz

Sounds awesome! :)
Ninochka
Mr Moon

Postby BlackCapricornDay on Mon Nov 22, 2010 8:38 am

Great review Funkyette .. :D

(... stay cool 8) )
BlackCapricornDay
Supersonic

Postby Giba7 on Mon Nov 22, 2010 3:49 pm

And Caroli has it! (I still don't have my Deluxe copy -maybe a neighbor lifted it :? )

Dixie -I think of as dueling bangos! But after googling, I guess is earlier southern U.S. music, with flutes and bangos, like it's a race!

But I guess the right band could make it work! :wink:
Giba7
Runaway

Postby caroli on Mon Nov 22, 2010 5:48 pm

Hang it Over corresponds to that Dixie-ish thing you mentioned :mrgreen: Awesome track! Deluxe copy = God :lol:
caroli
Dynamite

Postby DJ Romeo on Wed Nov 24, 2010 4:16 pm

Hey Guys-

- I don't know if anybody remembers me, I used to post here a WHHHIIILLLEEEE back. I am they guy with over 150 Jamiroquai CD's. I AM A HUGE FAN, SO TRUST ME WHEN I TELL YOU THAT IM NOT A NEWBIE. I must say that I really didn't care for this album. In my opinion I think this is probably their worst. But every group in entitled to one. Does anybody else feel this way?
DJ Romeo
Mr Moon

Postby Sandriche on Wed Nov 24, 2010 11:12 pm

hey welcome back dj romeo! you have been gone for a while hehe
what makes you say it was their worst album..what didn´t you like about it? would be interesting to hear.
my personal favourites at the moment are Hey Floyd, smoke and mirrors and she´s a fast persuader .
were there any songs you liked a bit :?:
Sandriche

Postby Giba7 on Thu Nov 25, 2010 4:16 am

DJ Romeo wrote:Hey Guys-

- I don't know if anybody remembers me, I used to post here a WHHHIIILLLEEEE back. I am they guy with over 150 Jamiroquai CD's. I AM A HUGE FAN, SO TRUST ME WHEN I TELL YOU THAT IM NOT A NEWBIE. I must say that I really didn't care for this album. In my opinion I think this is probably their worst. But every group in entitled to one. Does anybody else feel this way?

Really? The worst album?
I like it -But it is different and from a new perspective I think.
My favs are Sandriches' plus Lifeline.

You have 150 albums? You must be really a dedicated fan.
I think I have 7 albums & one download. :lol:
Giba7
Runaway

Postby BlackCapricornDay on Mon Dec 06, 2010 2:58 am

F-F-F-F- Finally ... :P

Image , Image
BlackCapricornDay
Supersonic

Postby Ninochka on Mon Dec 06, 2010 5:18 am

BlackCapricornDay wrote:F-F-F-F- Finally ... :P

That's what I said,you'll get it on a week or 2... :lol: :)
Ninochka
Mr Moon

Postby caroli on Mon Dec 06, 2010 11:22 am

yayyyyy! One more :mrgreen:
caroli
Dynamite

Postby MrsMadHattersHat on Tue Dec 07, 2010 9:21 am

BlackCapricornDay wrote:F-F-F-F- Finally ... :P

Me too!!!!
And I just love it!!!!
MrsMadHattersHat
Supersonic

Postby giampyponte on Tue Dec 07, 2010 10:54 am

GREAT...GREAT....ALBUM!!!! Same mood of "Emergency on planet earth". A travel to Funk Essentials Roots!! Thank you guys!! I love you all!! Jason, Panzerotti are waiting for you at my home. Greetings from Italy.
giampyponte

Postby BlackCapricornDay on Wed Dec 08, 2010 4:19 am

After 'slept' this album for about 5 days since i had it, play it 2-3 times a day, here I want to throw some piece of my mind, clearly I need to let each songs grow on me so it’ll avoiding myself to make a premature judgment.. I’m not gonna write a cynical expert-like review, because I can’t .. and I just wanna say it as it is .. as an ordinary fan, as an amateur, and with my extended musical knowledge view.. see I’m rambling already, i better quick ..

1.RDLS = As we've already heard before ..
2.WKR = Pressha!
3.S&M = Somehow reminds me of a scene of an old black and white movie about mafias watching a boxer match, and a broken boxer with a girl walking carries the round board .. (?)
4.AGitH = It’s GOOD in the hood ..
5.H = Quoted from Funkyette : Sexyahh!! I don’t know who’s responsible for this .. Mr. Harris’ job or Jays ‘old grandpa’ voice ? “How the hell did I lose yaaa …”
6.BS = “And I don’t want to listen .. too much”
7.L = Very catchy .. I feel there’s an ambiguity of this song, one side it is very positive about waking up and gets on the road again .. yet it is a sober love song , throw me a lifeline .. a lifeline of love ..
8.SaFP = It works me babe!!
9.TCDT = I like to enjoy this song with eyes closed, head shaking a little bit and I feel like I don’t need anything in this world! (oh and a cup of coffee please!)
10.GTMD = Err .. need to listen more, love the intro though …
11.NGBA = I thought this is the closing track then I forgot about HF ..
12.HF = Funny full twisted song! of course it’s not difficult for a band like Jamiroquai to mashup it between reggae, rock, funk .. it’s edgy and distinctly bold! Lucky that man Floyd whom JMQ dedicated this song to, Hey who’s Floyd?

Err.. Haven’t yet listen to Angeline and Hang it over cause I only had the standard ones ..

Phew! Okay, I must admit it … it’s not that GREAT album but it’s not that bad! It’s just .. different. I didn’t get it when Jay first described it as original,organic,live whatever stuff, but when I complete listen to it as the whole theme track by track.. and AHA! I start to see that. Somehow each tracks do its parts completed the full chain. They are expanding and elaborating by themselves but still consistent, hey i feel the consistency here.. Hurtin’ which first i called it as ‘radical movement’ still manage itself in the red line.Even Blue Skies seems to fit in the line, in exception WKR which I think the most out of place track on the album with its modernity, trance-like, (I believe some enhanced samples) tune.. Jay stated himself it’s actually the legacy of Dynamite era.No wonder.Some songs I really like and some I don’t, normal, like every other albums, and i know it's not ear-friendly for old tunes lover..BUT all tracks are truly enjoyable and I was surprised by its freshness!Maybe there it is the ‘organic’ muses come from, that the tracks are soow much better live, you know I digged for the live performances before I had this album, SaFP,L,H,S&M blown me away, again WKR sounds ‘stiff’ in live action (as we know they prefer did it ‘pretending & miming’ in some occasion). Less disco, little use of samples, thicken strings, trumpets, in conclusion : no instrumental surprises. Glad they always bring their mini big band at their concerts. Joy to Mr. Harris and Mr. Turner who seems to had most exploration, sorry to Mr. Akingbola who I think only stood out in SaFP and some intros, but of course he got his portion when it is live. Also Credits to the girls who in some songs seem to save Jay’s voice from ‘drowning’.

The album itself it’s not similar with any Jamiroquai albums, maybe if I may set the era .. we’ve been through the jazz era, the funk era, the dance era.. now (hands down people) it’s the ROCK era! If there’s a mass time between pre-EOPE and post-Dynamite meet each other form a new empty mass time,that’s the time that I mean! (now how do I explain this mass-time confusion?call Einstein!). And please people … this is JAMIROQUAI, they never made a bad album,NEVER! Even the most underrated ones, it’s still that good .. I experienced it by myself, and based on that, that no artists especially today’s artist can’t make album like that,can’t make music like they did, they are living legend! Uniqueness of the world! Somehow I feel very grateful that they are still alive, still kicking ass, still spoils me with their feet-moving tunes, and that I’m still able to experience their NEW album, I am well-privileged! Now in my most humble time as a human being, with the arms wide open, I welcome myself ROCK,dust,light,star!

BCD.

PS: OMG,I’m afraid this is too long , I thought that I was writing on my diary pretending to be a mentally labile teenager on her puberty :P
BlackCapricornDay
Supersonic

Postby Ninochka on Wed Dec 08, 2010 4:52 am

Wow,that's very long! Great review though. :)
Ninochka
Mr Moon

Postby Sandriche on Thu Dec 09, 2010 5:35 am

BCD that was a fantastic review! thanks for taking the time to share it!

I am still totally hooked to this album...
Sandriche

Postby BlackCapricornDay on Fri Dec 10, 2010 3:54 am

Hey, thank you :wink:
BlackCapricornDay
Supersonic

Postby MrsMadHattersHat on Fri Dec 10, 2010 3:17 pm

Thank you "BlackCapricornDay"!!!
MrsMadHattersHat
Supersonic

ALBUM Reviews

Postby Giba7 on Fri Dec 10, 2010 4:26 pm

BCD -I loved your review. :mrgreen:
Especially -Smoke & Mirrors! I'm gonna post your thoughts on that thread! I love the interpretations of this song most! (love to get the real take on it!)
And Lifeline! I agree -ambiguous -maybe not one particular person. But catchy lyrics.
And Hey Floyd -Jamtalk someone was saying it's about Jay. "Gotta learn to break the chains" as quoted on liner note of an album, and "you don't even know your name" and the whole whirlwind story probably his life. Also draws in "Blue Skies" into this song. Most complex.
Hurtin' to me is such an American track.
Agree -White Knuckle Ride kinda out of place!!! Not sure why.
I think organic as "played together" rather than pieced together.
I think the girls add a style to it. 60's style, maybe?

And BlackDevil wrote:
The album itself it’s not similar with any Jamiroquai albums, maybe if I may set the era .. we’ve been through the jazz era, the funk era, the dance era.. now (hands down people) it’s the ROCK era! If there’s a mass time between pre-EOPE and post-Dynamite meet each other form a new empty mass time,that’s the time that I mean! (now how do I explain this mass-time confusion?call Einstein!). And please people … this is JAMIROQUAI, they never made a bad album,NEVER! Even the most underrated ones, it’s still that good .. I experienced it by myself, and based on that, that no artists especially today’s artist can’t make album like that,can’t make music like they did, they are living legend! Uniqueness of the world! Somehow I feel very grateful that they are still alive, still kicking ass, still spoils me with their feet-moving tunes, and that I’m still able to experience their NEW album, I am well-privileged! Now in my most humble time as a human being, with the arms wide open, I welcome myself ROCK,dust,light,star!

Love it! I'm grateful Jamiroquai are making new music too! That is why I'm here! I was amazed to find them still kicking! But Not because they're old. I just felt they were gone. And I didn't know why. But they never were! (sounds crazy!) For me, it's like an awakening on some level of music. :lol: :lol:
Giba7
Runaway

Postby BlackCapricornDay on Mon Dec 13, 2010 3:14 am

Hahaha thank you, those are my stream of unconsciousness .. i don't know what were i thinking when i wrote it, but hey yes maybe Hey Floyd is all about Jay ..
BlackCapricornDay
Supersonic

Postby CosmicGirl_2010 on Sat Dec 25, 2010 8:43 pm

Well... what can I say? It's Jamiroquai...! But we can't forget, and it is obvious when we hear this new album, that Jay Kay is the only member remaining from the Original Jamiroquai band, although he is a remarkable singer, a great composer with lots of awesome ideas, with an amazing attitude, we can't forget that most of the times it's the band that makes the magic, not only the lead singer! And I can't help to miss the old guys.. Not that the new ones are bad, because they're great too! But I feel that the old groove who used to fill my body with positive funky vibrations that made me dance and smile and live the music in me isn't the same... now i feel other good things but not quite that! And I feel that some instruments are missing in this new release, for exemple, where's the trombone??!! :') But I can't help to love it anyway! The quality remains with this new band and more simple sounds... Keep it up, I wanna hear Jamiroquai till I'm 80. at least! ;P

(I apologize for my english, it might be slightly incorrect! ehehe =) )
CosmicGirl_2010

Postby jamirana on Sat Dec 25, 2010 11:03 pm

:D :D :D :D :D
jamirana

Postby Lightfoot on Sun Dec 26, 2010 4:32 pm

at first i was not sure how to take the album. the deeper into the album i got i realized i had just been deprived of jamiroquai so long that i simply wasnt prepared for the amazingness that was pumped into my ears! its been a long time coming and i am ecstatic about this album however the album has not been released yet here in the US so hopefully it will be released with some tour dates as well!
Lightfoot
Space Cowboy

PreviousNext

Return to Rock Dust Light Star