Home
Jamiroquai

New Song: Rock Dust Light Star

Let Jamiroquai take you on a White Knuckle Ride. Come here to talk about anything related to the new album...

Re: New Song: Rock Dust Light Star

Postby Giba7 on Sun Nov 14, 2010 9:03 pm

Ah, my friends Ninochka & Caroli! Thank you for listening closely! I'm not crazy! :?
After reading the lyrics as "Hit it", makes more sense. Could also be changed to "Cheat it".
But think about it, if it was sorta done in a groove, could be (won't) "cha hit it". Or "Chit it".
Performance is sliding in articulation.

Either way, struck me as funny at first. Not so much anymore since it's been killed! :|
(at Jam.net)
Giba7
Runaway

Postby Time4aRevolution on Wed Nov 17, 2010 10:24 am

Although I like the new album I do admit there's a lack of "funk" in RDLS and you have some rock-orientated songs one there but they have to mix it up and do something new right?

People I know (who aren't fans) say that "all Jam songs sound the same" we here all know that deffo ain't true but like many of the posts on here who say the same thing, it has been 5 years...
If you want to listen to the old stuff, get ya CD's/Vinyl or if you're old skool cassettes out and party!

And 5 years since an album, which left me gasping for a new album (non-greatest hits) after Dynamite maybe need some time to adjust to Jam actually producing a new album + anyone who's still unsure should try get a good quality live copy of Rock Dust Light Star (Think they did something on BBC the other day?) I wasn't bowled over when I heard just the studio audio but to hear it live in October @ the Forum - it was bleedin' AWESOME!!!!

Can't wait for the tour! :D
Time4aRevolution

Postby Giba7 on Thu Dec 23, 2010 3:53 pm

Here's a version of Rock Dust Light Star at the Oslo afterparty (Nobel Peace Prize Concert)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3qrUr1Mlp28
Impromptu performance
Giba7
Runaway

Postby Giba7 on Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:25 pm

I just love this song. It really is beautiful. This song has a vibration to it.

But nobody has mentioned anything about the lyrics.
What do you think? Is it a sign of the End of Times? Cataclysmic events?
Fear like the New Millenium?

RDLS is meant to get notice, as it is not just the song title, also the album title.
Giba7
Runaway

Postby Giba7 on Wed Feb 16, 2011 5:59 pm

So, the Taratata performance was great. But even greater the interview that follows!
The interviewer digs to the point of what Jay means by Rock Dust Light Star! Rock on!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vGPr8kFStLs

Jay kinda says we focus on mistreating each other, we should realize what's going on in the universe.
"Too much war" or "we believe we're right".
The guy asks (before the star hits us) "Pray or enjoy it?" :mrgreen:
Jays says "Don't use faith as an excuse to kill other people."
Giba7
Runaway

Postby caroli on Wed Feb 16, 2011 10:34 pm

Awesome piece of advice! :mrgreen:
caroli
Dynamite

Postby Giba7 on Fri Feb 18, 2011 8:20 pm

To Live in peace? Before the looming star reaches us? Is this the meaning of the song.?
Because we can't stop it. Mother nature reigns supreme.

My thoughts
It's not just religion that is causing war. Because it seems religion is usually based on a method of living a good life. But humanity seems to twist things around. Humanity is greedy and selfish. And justify hatred and violence on their beliefs. But this isn't really the religions.

Maybe the looming star will be the end of this. So is the star bad?
And like the interviewer asks, do we pray or enjoy it?
Giba7
Runaway

Postby Ninochka on Sun Feb 20, 2011 1:36 am

Giba7 wrote:Jay kinda says we focus on mistreating each other, we should realize what's going on in the universe.
"Too much war" or "we believe we're right".
The guy asks (before the star hits us) "Pray or enjoy it?" :mrgreen:
Jays says "Don't use faith as an excuse to kill other people."

Beautiful.
Ninochka
Mr Moon

Postby Giba7 on Sun Feb 20, 2011 11:43 pm

Yeah, but what do we do? Party or Pray until it hits?
Giba7
Runaway

Postby Shaolin325 on Mon Feb 21, 2011 1:03 am

Giba, I don't understand why it's one or the other. You know a lot of people actually pray and party :D
I "partied" at a Prince concert recently....I prayed a little on the way home (something was wrong with the train I was taking back to Jersey).

So I say those of us who believe in a higher being do a lil' praying and partying and those who don't believe - just party :D
Shaolin325
Supersonic

Postby caroli on Mon Feb 21, 2011 6:15 pm

And those are people like me :lol: praying never seemed to work so well for me...
caroli
Dynamite

Postby Giba7 on Mon Feb 21, 2011 8:33 pm

@Shaolin -I don't mean to be an ass! Yes you can pray & party!

I don't know what I'm thinking! :mrgreen: Or trying to ask!

Do we plan for doom, or live without fear?

caroli wrote:And those are people like me :lol: praying never seemed to work so well for me...
I'm sorry :(
Giba7
Runaway

Postby BlackCapricornDay on Tue Feb 22, 2011 2:17 am

i rarely go to party and rarely pray either .. :P
BlackCapricornDay
Supersonic

Postby Shaolin325 on Tue Feb 22, 2011 3:20 am

I'm not a partier either..going to a concert is as much partying as I do......
Shaolin325
Supersonic

Postby caroli on Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:29 pm

Don't be sorry... Not to be religious was a choice I made several years ago when I understood religion was just a way of finding some answers I don't really want to find and when I realised people actually killed and died over something we can't be sure exists...
That's why I chose to be free to choose and think as I please and that's also why I'm not baptised :mrgreen:
caroli
Dynamite

Postby Jazzhole on Wed Mar 02, 2011 12:50 am

I think having faith in God is good. It make us feel like we are not alone. However i don't have faith in God, but in myself. I'm a confident person. I have no need to have faith.

That's the use of religion. To make us feel secure of ourselves.

People often ask themself if God exists or not. I think People are thinking wrong. They should think what they would win with believing that God exists instead. And they would get confidence!

Confidence is everything, people :)
Jazzhole
Supersonic

Postby Giba7 on Sat Apr 30, 2011 3:26 pm

Ha! I just read through this post! I love to party -but don't have as much opportunity :cry: !
(And I pray too!)

here's my updated review of RDLS:
The beginning of this song throws you off –kinda funny to see someone listen for the first time!
This seems to be the most complex song to me. But the music is so smooth. It all seems to flow together. Like I said before, there’s just a sort of humm to this song. The harmonies are incredible. The vocals and music are really good. The guitar mesmerizing, soft keyboards, and background vocals just blend in and highlight different parts. It’s actually a very busy song with lots of layering of instruments and background vocals (listen with your I-pod!)

**A great part is when he hits that off note “See the more I think about it” –it just hits you.

This was the song that was difficult in lyrics to figure out, just what is the meaning or intention.
Jamiroquai seems to be interested in the celestial world, so it’s no surprise a song (and album) is titled Rock Dust Light Star! And it’s not really offending any religion, just an explanation I guess of where Jay’s (Harris/Johnson) perspective on religion is today, in a world of technology, globalization, and warfare.

I saw one interview trying to explain the meaning. Which I read as each country’s government shouldn’t use religion as a crutch to justify war.
It seems religions pretty much promote peace, but people ultimately make religion bad.
“The sinners are saints without sparks” not standing up for goodness?

“I’m a square pig, in a round hole” Here’s another pig reference! Maybe this is that we are gluttons?
This is also the part you’ll also hear the “do didit dit dit doo” in the background (I-pod).

To me, it sounds like we will be saved when the stars collide “Salvation’s coming” “Coming at you baby, Thirty six thousand miles an hour” because humanity, which is destructive, will end and this will save the earth. :lol: We're like fleas on a dog.

But I think it’s more about recognizing that there is more out there than our micro-cosmic perspective of our own worlds. Open you eyes and see the big picture. The heavens may collide, and life as we know it will change (or end). And really, we can’t stop this. So stop your wars, focus on the real things in life while we have it. So live your life, but live it right. Respect others and their differences in culture and religion.

I think we should live our lives like it's gonna end, but plan for the future.
Giba7
Runaway

Postby MrsMadHattersHat on Mon May 02, 2011 12:52 pm

Giba, you rock!
I really like the way you look at the songs and talk about it!
Thank you for sharing!

(I don't have a Ipod, thats a shame :lol: )
MrsMadHattersHat
Supersonic

Postby Giba7 on Mon May 02, 2011 4:55 pm

:lol: Thanks!
Feel free to give your input. :mrgreen:
Giba7
Runaway

Postby BlackCapricornDay on Wed May 04, 2011 4:55 am

We are now the most destructive human being, aren't we? :D
Okay, i love this song .. no i love THIS album, this is THE different one ,this is THE idealist one.. and i love the fact that Jay is such a dreamer!he's mumbling about war, nature,global warming,animal,zoo,forest,God,light,hunger,WORLD PEACE! I did remember in one interview the one he criticized the lack of moral interaction of British Society.. Jay is concern, Jay is sad, Jay is disappointing like WE ALL FEEL of living right now in a fast-pace high technology modern life. And what can he do? he's humming it! in a perfect tune! He and his band (sh*t i use this phrase 'he and his band' ) made it into this beautiful album,it speaks about LOVE in general not just a flirty love on some cosmic girl or summer love in sunny June, it's the love for any living thing!for anything that breath, for defending the victims of any narrow minded religious claimant, salvation is coming!!

Haaa .. i need more sleep ..oO
BlackCapricornDay
Supersonic

Postby MrsMadHattersHat on Thu May 05, 2011 11:43 am

Aaaaaaah! BCD! Thank you too! 8)
RDLS is my favourit album that's for sure!
MrsMadHattersHat
Supersonic

Postby Giba7 on Thu May 05, 2011 12:53 pm

Awesome Black Capricorn Day!
BlackCapricornDay wrote:We are now the most destructive human being, aren't we? :D

this is THE idealist one.. and i love the fact that Jay is such a dreamer!he's mumbling about war, nature,global warming,animal,zoo,forest,God,light,hunger,WORLD PEACE!

When I read your review it totally makes me think of Marvin Gaye. Ever listen to "What's Going On"? :mrgreen:
Giba7
Runaway

Postby BlackCapricornDay on Mon May 09, 2011 8:55 am

Umm .. no :P
BlackCapricornDay
Supersonic

Postby Giba7 on Mon May 09, 2011 5:05 pm

Doesn't sound like MG. Only the review! :wink:
Everybody should know the "What's Going On" album!
Giba7
Runaway

Postby Giba7 on Wed Nov 09, 2011 12:10 am

Asteroid set to Buzz Earth!
http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2011/11/ ... rth-today/
had to share here! :lol: :lol:
Giba7
Runaway

PreviousNext

Return to Rock Dust Light Star