Home
Jamiroquai

production

Let Jamiroquai take you on a White Knuckle Ride. Come here to talk about anything related to the new album...

production

Postby ameetrao1 on Sat May 19, 2012 6:48 pm

What I noticed the most about this new album is the production. That to me is the newest. There is a lot more dynamic range involved - especially in the spatial recording of the strings. Looks like he's been using an SSL for mixdown instead of the usual mackie i think he has in his home set-up. :D

Obviously, there's probably more money involved - and mercury are probably giving him more artistic freedom allowed than the usual on sony s2 or whatever it was. The songs are more varied.
What does everyone else think?
ameetrao1

Re: production

Postby Giba7 on Sat May 19, 2012 7:06 pm

ameetrao1 -who are you and where are you from? :lol:
How do you know what he has in his studio? :D

I've recently taken a class in a studio for recording techniques. They have an SSL and Yamaha 02R.
For the rest of us, the SSL is the old skool recording analog machine. Bands like the Black Keys and Jack White are recording (I believe exclusively) this way. And many bands (full bands) record on analog for a richer sound. But it's the beats and hip-hop that are usually virtual instruments (digital), like Fruity Loops (love the name!)

As for techniques, I'm still learning to associate sounds with techniques.
RDLS, what I notice is their music is complex yet well balanced.
And as for more varied, definitely many genres. :mrgreen:
Giba7
Runaway

Postby ameetrao1 on Sun May 20, 2012 9:00 am

Hi! My name is ameet and i live in london. What about you?! I studied sound for 3 years. In the video for runaway, there is a mackie desk. I passed the SSL with 84%! SSL and Mackie both have a warm sound so it is debateable but the SSL has a particular sound - used in 65% of world studios - listen to Prince stuff. SSL can be seen as both analogue and digital, no?! I have cubase 5 which I use regularly at home, so i know what you mean about the beats and hip-hop. What is RDLS?

I've loved jamiroquai ever since hearing too young to die on jazz fm back in 1993. And i have his first twelve inch - When you gonna learn! Keep in touch. Where are you studying?!
ameetrao1

Postby ErinUSA on Sun May 20, 2012 4:04 pm

ameetrao1 wrote: What is RDLS?

Hi Ameet and welcome to the forum!!

RDLS = Rock Dust Light Star :D
ErinUSA

Postby Giba7 on Sun May 20, 2012 5:31 pm

Hi Ameet!
Glad to hear of your SSL experiences! It's a huge board.
I'm overwhelmed by the one class. It's very technical. I have to let it settle in!
If I decide to go on, I'll wait til fall when my little one is in school (there are summer sessions).
The text is huge! The class lecture really only covered about 1/10th of what is necessary to pass the written test. And nobody is taking it but me.

I hear Cubase is what is used in Europe. Most studios here use Pro Tools.
I'm in Detroit. I won't say what school, but there aren't that many recording studios here.
If I ever try to be hired, I'll really have to know my stuff.
But the best one in town, is in the seedy part of Detroit.
(But the owner knows my uncle and I used to travel to see his band!)
And in the meantime, my part-time job could kick into full time.
Giba7
Runaway

Postby ameetrao1 on Mon May 21, 2012 8:06 am

hi giba, :) , I studied SSL practically.The school i was at - my second sound school was called sae technology college - heard of it? - so i just had to take a practical test in it. My first college was confetti school of recording technology in nottingham. We had to have questions on it theoretically in the final exam but not much - just -signal flow - electronics - very hard, like you say. It must be hard to break into the industry in america - with all the competition and hip hop, rap artists etc. becoming producers. Am I right?
ameetrao1

Postby Giba7 on Mon May 21, 2012 6:03 pm

I'm not sure about all the schools. I knew someone who went through the producer schooling, but he doesn't work it today, which gave me the idea.
I'm sure it's hard to break into the American industry if you are an artist.
So, there is a trend to go Indie, so you don't rely on major labels.
Giba7
Runaway

Postby Giba7 on Mon May 21, 2012 9:27 pm

So here's something not too technical:
The two main aspects of a digital signal are the word length and sample rate. Because most digital devices can truncate extra digits out, or fill in more zeros into blank spaces, the word length of each device can vary. But the sample rate must remain the same when the connection is made digitally. In fact, the sample rate not only needs to be the same, but the sample rate needs to be synchronized between all the units. This is done by using the word clock master.

Perhaps this is where Jamiroquai get the idea for Synkronized.
Giba7
Runaway

Postby ameetrao1 on Wed May 30, 2012 4:08 pm

yes, it's called timecode and uses SMPTE. Do you know how automation actually practically works on an SSL and Neve?
ameetrao1

Postby Giba7 on Wed May 30, 2012 9:38 pm

Ameet -you definitely know way more than me! Good for you.
That info comes from my books!
I actually didn't learn SMPTE in the class, but sure as hell it was on the test! :lol:

We didn't work on the SSL. We only got to visit the room it was in once
(well I did twice including the tour!)

I am only in the beginning stages. I haven't decided if I'll continue!
Giba7
Runaway

Postby ameetrao1 on Wed May 30, 2012 10:23 pm

:wink: I studied sound for 3 years altogether - 2 years on a foundation course and 1 year on a diploma of audio engineering. I know more than I portrayed in the final exam. I was in SSL room many times - even played guitar in the live room while everybody else studied the control room. I just missed out on automation - which is why i asked you, seems like you know you're stuff with that, more than me anyway. I only know some of the terms, but actual automation and synchronization i am lacking in. Ho w do they use the word timer clock, do you know? :!: :|

Synkronized - a good theory, I actually thought of that when it came out aswell - same year i did my diploma. Where abouts are you on your course? What have you studied/not studied etc.?

I reckon that jay kay was not that advanced in thinking at that stage anyway, hmmm...synkronized maybe, but synchronization, i don't know!

The RDLS album seems like the first time that they may have used synchronization really, wit hthe strings and drum beats and stuff.

:idea:
ameetrao1

Postby ameetrao1 on Wed May 30, 2012 10:25 pm

oh sorry, you said you only knew it from the books, sorry about that!
ameetrao1

Postby ameetrao1 on Wed May 30, 2012 10:30 pm

trend to go indie for rappers aswell too, innit?! More rappers seem to wanna be producers now adays anyway. Do you get the magazine sound on sound,audio media, future music. I know asia and america have the same publication for sound on sound. It's not only what you know but who you know in this industry aswell any way, isn't it! I did an interview with gilles peterson - founder of acid jazz records back in 1997/8 - I was on uni radio for a while. Do you like the roots, and ahmir questlove thompson's productions?
ameetrao1

Postby Giba7 on Thu May 31, 2012 4:19 am

Well, I have only taken one course -Recording Techniques. Our final session recorded a band.
Synchonization, I believe, the word clock is required in digital recording, and analog.
I think when you receive a signal (voice, drum, instruments) it comes into the recording device, and sends it back out to the computer. Part is analog, and part is digital. So they must be on word clock or the timing of music may not be lined up. (I think that's how it goes!)
i.e., you know when a voice doesn't match to the movie?

So I believe all recordings are Synchronized to the word clock, or you have major issues.
(feel free to correct me!)
But I do know, in analog, it is higher quality (better sample rate) and when you copy analog, some quality is lost. Where as copies of digital over and over is still the same quality.

I am not familiar with Gilles Peterson. I do know the Roots and Questlove?
Uni? I've only heard that term from Caroli! :lol:

90% of my class were hip-hopstar wannabees! :lol: But one woman was The Funk Bros. daughter!
Giba7
Runaway

Postby CosmicLea on Thu May 31, 2012 6:05 am

Sorry to go off-topic
Giba7 wrote:Uni? I've only heard that term from Caroli! :lol:
We call college "university" in Australia too which gets abbreviated to "uni"! :lol: :wink:
CosmicLea
Space Cowboy

Postby ameetrao1 on Thu May 31, 2012 3:22 pm

ahhh! recording techniques, now that brings back some memories - that was my introduction to production in 1996 - I still remember now - lots of fun. We had no rappers etc. though. :lol:.

What desk are you using - analogue? apart from the SSL. DId you see the interview with toby smith further down the forum. Great guy.
ameetrao1

Postby Giba7 on Fri Jun 01, 2012 4:21 am

we had learned some on the Yamaha O2R.
But I have Studio 1, and will be getting Fruity Loops to have some fun! (just on computer)

Post the url for the Toby Smith interview.
That's who I'd like to hear from today.

We don't say "Uni" here. We have nicknames for each particular University "State, Michigan, Wayne State..." Because each one has a different status.
Giba7
Runaway

Postby ameetrao1 on Fri Jun 01, 2012 9:07 am

toby smith interview - further down the board, members, i think
ameetrao1

Postby ameetrao1 on Fri Jun 01, 2012 9:08 am

variety of styles - definately since a funk odyssey
ameetrao1

Postby Giba7 on Fri Jun 01, 2012 8:08 pm

ameetrao1 wrote:toby smith interview - further down the board, members, i think

whoa! What an SSL! Nice studio Toby!
I missed it! never did see the interview. Thanks!
Giba7
Runaway

Postby ameetrao1 on Sat Jun 02, 2012 12:07 am

no worries, that's the one i passed giba. by the way, what's your name? 84%!! At 4am in the morning!!
ameetrao1

Postby Giba7 on Sat Jun 02, 2012 7:44 pm

You took your test @ 4am? And yes 84% would be great on that device, very complicated technical mass.

My name is Gina.
Giba7
Runaway

Postby ameetrao1 on Sat Jun 02, 2012 8:51 pm

my name is ameet. Nice to meet you gina. Yeah 4am - we had to take all our tests around that time - training for the industry!
ameetrao1

Postby Giba7 on Tue Jun 12, 2012 6:07 pm

I'm wondering if this should be moved to a different name -this is under Rock Dust Light Star! :lol:
Well, unless Ameet was one to produce it!

I am literally harassing the owner of the studio I took my class. I want my final test and grade! :lol:
I've had to call 3x and he keeps giving me another date to call back. :shock:
My impression is he didn't expect much from me, and this is really why I want to do well.
The class really doesn't mean that much to me, it was more of an introduction!!
And during the class I didn't realize what the main source of study was the study module cd, I thought this huge book was, but the sections didn't really link to the lectures.
But the study module, I crammed at the end, even had incorrect answers to some questions, (which he confirmed!) Well that sucks when you're studying the wrong answers! (Do I sound mad?!)

Either it was rinky-dink, or I'm just not on the same level to be a student again!!
:lol:
Giba7
Runaway

Postby curse_t_70 on Tue Jun 12, 2012 7:01 pm

Giba7 wrote:Either it was rinky-dink, or I'm just not on the same level to be a student again!!

I am impressed that you took this class Giba!
curse_t_70
Space Cowboy

Location: Victoria, B.C, Canada (home of the Day Glo Abortions))

Next

Return to Rock Dust Light Star