Home
Jamiroquai

What's your favorite movie/movie suggestion?

This is the place for the Cosmic Girls and Space Cowboys to chat about subjects that are not related to Jamiroquai. Subjects that don't quite fit in the Funktion Room should also be posted here. Introduce yourselves to one another in here.

What's your favorite movie/movie suggestion?

Postby Jazzhole on Fri Dec 23, 2011 2:52 pm

(Please, notice this topic is different from the " what's your favorite TV/movie" topic)

So, the title says it all.

My favorite movies are

Forrest Gump- It's abot a retarded kid who i pretty much sucessful in every field of life without knowing how or why, but spends almost his whole life looking for the girl he always liked.

The Pianist- It's about a World War II. Based on a real story.

Fight Club- It's about a regular guy who, like most of the regular people, isn't satisfied with his life to the point he suffers from insomnia. One day he meets a man named Tyler Durden who is a modern philosophist and activist who blames life misery on the consummerism and the way society is organized. They become friends but soon things will get out of control.

D. Juan de Marco- It's about a seducer who trys to kill himself for love. They bring him to an asylium and is treated by a man who's about to retire. The story is based on that.

Let me know your suggestions.

P.S: I wonder what's Jay's favorite movies. :?:
Jazzhole
Supersonic

Re: What's your favorite movie/movie suggestion?

Postby MissLisa_since1999 on Fri Dec 23, 2011 4:05 pm

"movie/movie" suggestions? What do you exactly mean when you say that's different from "TV/movie"?? :lol:

Anyway... I suggest :

Home Alone : I suppose I don't need to present this film... Everybody has seen it... And if you haven't, run to your settee!! It's the adventures of a 10-year-old boy (?) who misses the plane when all his family go to... er.. I don't remember... during Christmas holidays. He stays alone at home but unfortunately the two men who were supposed to be policemen (?) are in fact thiefs... Kevin (the 10-year-old boy) imagines incredible traps to foil their bad plans... HILARIOUS!!!

Welcome to Gattaca: I watched the beggining last week and it's pretty good. It's a Science Fiction movie and it's about Vincent, a young man who lives in a society extremely selective where imperfect people (talking about genetic...) are discriminated... In fact it's a bit complex to explain seeing that I didn't watch the movie entirely. But here're some comments if you're interested : http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0119177/reviews :mrgreen:
MissLisa_since1999
Mr Moon

Postby caroli on Fri Dec 23, 2011 4:18 pm

ClockWork Orange - BRILLIANT! Alex, a badass kid who spends most of his time drinking white milk and raping people (oh! and listening to Beethoven), is chosen for an experiment to end up crime.. :mrgreen: (Kubrick)

Pulp Fiction - A mix of several stories, all hilarious. A classic. Thumbs up for the dance scene at Jack Rabbit Slim's and for the bloody overdose scene. Epic film is epic! (Tarantino)

Black Cat, White Cat - ARGH! Must watch it cause it's too hard to explain. (Kusturica)

:mrgreen:
caroli
Dynamite

Postby Jazzhole on Fri Dec 23, 2011 4:36 pm

@ MissLisa_since1999: Wow! Your 2nd suggestion looks cool. As for Home Alone... You know it's Christmas when you watch that movie on TV nowadays lol

@ Caroli: I totally forgot to mention Pulp Fiction. Blasphem! I always laugh so hard when Sam L. Jackson yells " English motherfuNker, do you speak it?" :lol: And Kool& The gang: Jungle Boogie is an awesome tune!
Jazzhole
Supersonic

Postby curse_t_70 on Fri Dec 23, 2011 4:40 pm

caroli wrote:ClockWork Orange
:D A must!!!!!!!!!!!
caroli wrote: Epic film is epic! (Tarantino)
This guy is brilliant, crazy mind you, but brilliant!
MissLisa_since1999 wrote:Home Alone
HaHa..cute 80s film, I should have known as you have referrenced this many times....

@Jazzhole....I have seen 2 out of your 4...Loved Fightclub...super cool twists in that movie and Edward Norton is one of my favourite actors. Forrest Gump I found a little overated. I thought Slingblade was a better "retarded" movie. they became a little trendy after Forrest Gump....think of Sean Penn in "I am Sam" D.Juan de Marco I have never seen but sounds intriguing.
I loved Sean of the Deadno zombies were hurt in the filming of that one :lol: ....I never thought you could make a comedy out of a Zombie movie but to me it was soooo funny AND a litle scary (funny enough) :lol: The comedy chemistry between actors Nick Frost and Simon Pegg are super so I would suggest seeing ............HOT FUZZ which stars them bothno zombies in this one
curse_t_70
Space Cowboy

Location: Victoria, B.C, Canada (home of the Day Glo Abortions))

Postby ErinUSA on Fri Dec 23, 2011 4:51 pm

I have a feeling that the new Steven Spielberg movie WAR HORSE will be tops on my list.

The movie opens on Christmas Day here in the states and has already been nominated for a Golden Globe award for Best Picture!!!! The previews for this movie are absolutely stunning. I can't wait...

ErinUSA

Postby MissLisa_since1999 on Fri Dec 23, 2011 5:05 pm

curse_t_70 wrote:
MissLisa_since1999 wrote:Home Alone
HaHa..cute 80s film, I should have known as you have referrenced this many times....

Only ONE time... this is the 2nd. :mrgreen:
MissLisa_since1999
Mr Moon

Postby curse_t_70 on Fri Dec 23, 2011 5:16 pm

Third time..Oct29th, Dec 10th and today.........Sorry..now you know I am a little anal :lol: I hate to be wrong
curse_t_70
Space Cowboy

Postby MissLisa_since1999 on Fri Dec 23, 2011 5:25 pm

curse_t_70 wrote:Third time..Oct29th, Dec 10th and today.........Sorry..now you know I am a little anal :lol: I hate to be wrong

Ok ok, you're absolutely right! :wink:
MissLisa_since1999
Mr Moon

Postby Giba7 on Fri Dec 23, 2011 6:39 pm

A Clockwork Orange was a great film.
But did have trouble with the rape scene.
The friend that introduced me to that film (and many other things! :lol: ) is in town this weekend.
And supposed to meet with her today. Haven't heard from her.
Maybe I'll check my FB (cuz yeah, I'm on it!)
Giba7
Runaway

Postby Jazzhole on Sat Dec 24, 2011 2:56 am

Hey, i just watched A Clockwork Orange 5 minutes ago. Not bad, but i was expecting better. As a psychology student i kinda got surprised with people being worried with behaviorist psychology and it's uses back in the 70's. I didn't know people were so paranoid about it.
Jazzhole
Supersonic

Postby Giba7 on Sat Dec 24, 2011 5:22 pm

A Clockwork Orange is a great film. But haven't seen it in a while.
But laughed when Kesha ripped off Alex's facial art, only incorporating glitter :roll:

Another cult film back in the 90's was Blue Velvet.
A great, young cult film from the 80's was A Princess Bride :mrgreen:
Giba7
Runaway

Postby MissLisa_since1999 on Mon Dec 26, 2011 6:56 pm

Home Alone and Home Alone 2 on TV this evening!! Can't wait! (haha! fourth!... I hope I'm not wrong this time...) :mrgreen:

Well today I suggest...

El Laberinto del fauno (Pan's Labyrinth): we saw it last year with our Spanish teacher... I really liked this movie. It's both scary and sad, but also interresting and enthralling! It's mostly about a young girl (10 years old?), Ofelia, who is over-imaginative and loves fairy stories. She moves to go living in her step-father's house (big house) with her mother (who is pregnant by him... they're married) during the Spanish civil war... In fact her step-father is the Captain Vidal (he works for General Franco and is very malicious... For instance, he doesn't care about his wife, he's only interested by his son... 'cause of course it has to be a boy, otherwise...)
Then when Ofelia is in her bedroom (sleeping) a faun comes and tells her she's actually a princess and to return to her subterranean kingdom, she has to accomplish three missions... more or less dangerous...

As I said, this a very good movie but sometimes a bit scary and shocking... there're some actions...brrrrrr... :shock: the one with the bottle at the beggining... or when Mercedes cuts Vidal's mouth (mmm, I'm not kidding...)... This is definitely NOT a movie for young children... But it's brilliant all the same. :mrgreen: I love this kind of doubt remaining at the end and which leave us so frustrated...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q5d4f1nyLgg
MissLisa_since1999
Mr Moon

Postby Giba7 on Tue Dec 27, 2011 5:59 pm

So, the only western I enjoyed was "Tombstone".
loved the quotes "I'll be your Huckelberry"!

wanting to see "We bought a Zoo" & "Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy" (Gary Oldman, who is getting old!)
Giba7
Runaway

Postby Giba7 on Mon Jan 02, 2012 12:29 am

I really liked "We bought a Zoo" last week. And well, I know Zoo goes against Jamiroquaiology. But it was an animal park that was already in existance (true story) and the animals were just being maintained for life. And some guy (dreamer) comes along and loves the house and property, but the catch is he has to keep the animals going. With his 2 kids. And the little girl is so adorable! :mrgreen:
His goal is to re-open his park, on July 7th. (7/7)!

And just saw "Mission Impossible" today. Pretty good!
Giba7
Runaway

Postby curse_t_70 on Mon Jan 02, 2012 2:44 am

Just saw Shutter Island.....a spooky psycological thriller :twisted: starring Leo Dicaprio. There's one for you Jazzhole Awesome setting and Dicaprio really is a good actor. Directed by non other than Martin Scorsese who did such classics as Raging Bull and Taxi driver.
curse_t_70
Space Cowboy

Postby Giba7 on Tue Jan 03, 2012 3:47 am

Scorcese is the best!
Giba7
Runaway

Postby Jazzhole on Wed Jan 04, 2012 2:39 am

shutter island looks cool, but my friends are always talking about it so i already know the final...
Jazzhole
Supersonic

Postby curse_t_70 on Wed Jan 04, 2012 3:12 am

Jazzhole wrote:shutter island looks cool, but my friends are always talking about it so i already know the final...

Ahh shucks that sucks!!
curse_t_70
Space Cowboy

Postby curse_t_70 on Fri Jan 06, 2012 10:28 pm

Layer Cake a 2004 british crime thriller...I was super impressed with this one, Daniel Craig (new Bond guy) stars in this as a drug dealer trying to get out of the business....
curse_t_70
Space Cowboy

Postby ophone on Mon Jan 09, 2012 12:37 pm

Two international blockbusters I recently watched:

1. C'era una volta il West Once upon a time in the West
The quintessential Spaghetti Western by Sergio Leone with Claudia Cardinale, Charles Bronson, Henry Fonda... from 1968.
With the exceptional score by Ennio Morricone.
Once upon a time in the West: The (most famous) duel scene

2. Rocky (the first part)
The quintessential boxing film. Script and main role: Sylvester Stallone. From 1976.
OK, I don't like boxing, but I like this film, especially its music:
Gonna fly now
ophone
Mr Moon

Postby Giba7 on Mon Jan 09, 2012 6:29 pm

The first Rocky is classic.
Adrian! Adrian!
Giba7
Runaway

Postby Jazzhole on Mon Jan 09, 2012 10:54 pm

Any psychological thriller suggestion, like fight club or shutter island?
Jazzhole
Supersonic

Postby curse_t_70 on Tue Jan 10, 2012 12:47 am

@Jazzhole- Inception is supposed to be excellent, I haven't seen it yet and can't wait, so don't tell me about it if you see it. Just happens to star Leo DeCaprio as well
curse_t_70
Space Cowboy

Postby curse_t_70 on Tue Jan 10, 2012 2:52 am

@ Jazzhole- One flew over the cuckoo's nest with Jack Nicholson, it is a classic and you might not have seen it yet...... since you are such a young twink :wink:
curse_t_70
Space Cowboy

Next

Return to Everyday Chat