Home
Jamiroquai

Haute Cuisine

This is the place for the Cosmic Girls and Space Cowboys to chat about subjects that are not related to Jamiroquai. Subjects that don't quite fit in the Funktion Room should also be posted here. Introduce yourselves to one another in here.

Re: Haute Cuisine

Postby StormeyG on Fri Aug 31, 2012 4:02 pm

Tapas tonight...don't feel like cooking

StormeyG
Space Cowboy

Postby Giba7 on Sat Sep 01, 2012 12:51 am

oooh, I want to go stay at this hotel. Is the wine good? the food looks great!
Giba7
Runaway

Postby StormeyG on Sat Sep 01, 2012 7:41 am

The wine has such a chique name, but it made me shiver. Wouldn't expect that of a wine called Negro Amaro Malvasia Nera so again, what's in a name :wink:
StormeyG
Space Cowboy

Postby Giba7 on Sat Sep 01, 2012 3:36 pm

ah! sounds great!
I looked it up, it's an italian blend of 2 grapes and may be some of the best red wines of Puglia (Italy)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Negroamaro

our Italian wines here seem to stink :shock:
Giba7
Runaway

Postby StormeyG on Sat Sep 01, 2012 9:37 pm

remember me never to get any wine from Puglia then..it realy wasn't that good. Had a boyfriend from Puglia once who was way better then the wine they make :wink: :wink: :wink:
StormeyG
Space Cowboy

Postby Giba7 on Sun Sep 02, 2012 4:21 am

StormeyG wrote:remember me never to get any wine from Puglia then..it realy wasn't that good. Had a boyfriend from Puglia once who was way better then the wine they make :wink: :wink: :wink:

:lol:
the Italian stallion, eh?
never really had a great Italian wine. Anybody have suggestions?
Giba7
Runaway

Postby StormeyG on Sun Sep 02, 2012 11:58 am

I drink only italian wine, sometimes spanish...don't like french grapes.

Are you a red wine or a white wine girl..you like sweet or dry, woody? I can give you some tips.
I'm all for the stronger and darker redwines.

If you can get your hands on a bottle of Doppio Passo, that would be good. I have not met anyone that didn't get a smile after the first sip of that baby :D

Nice red wine grapes are Sangiovese. I don't know what you can get in the US, but you cannot go wrong with a Sangiovese if you ask me.Chianti usualy has 70% Sangiovese..I like the pure stuff. Morellino is also a Sangiovese grape. This wine is very intense..love it!
Nero d'avola from Sicilia is a nice strong wine too..always nice. If you can get a Nero D'Avola from Nanfro I'd be so jalours 8)
These are all under € 15

I am not a white wine drinker, but if I get a bottle I like to go for the Insolia grape..not easy to get. If they don't have that one, I am stuck reading the back of the bottle looking for traces of pear and pineapple..I like that in a white wine. It gives the dry wines just that little bit of flavour you need

If you can get a dessert wine called Floralis Moscatel Oro from Torres you will be a happy girl. Its a spanish licor wine and it is the best! not for during dinner, but before or after. Keep it in the fridge and drink it cold.

Mine usually looks like this :lol:
StormeyG
Space Cowboy

Postby Giba7 on Sun Sep 02, 2012 6:09 pm

Thanks for the info Stormey! I like dry smooth red wine. For me too -the redder, darker and the deeper the better! I can't drink white anymore! :lol: (the Ruby Port was awful btw so I'm using it for cooking! I think it was an aged Port that I liked)
I never think of chianti as a great wine and do know the sangiovese grape. But I always favored the Cabernets and Merlots.

We do have an Italian shop Vince & Joes I bet would have Doppio Passo. I'll stop in soon!

btw -the color of the season is a bloodred. :wink:
Giba7
Runaway

Postby caroli on Mon Sep 03, 2012 6:24 pm

caroli
Dynamite

Postby StormeyG on Mon Sep 03, 2012 7:09 pm

@Giba I googled Vince & Joes, what a beautiful store. I'd go broke overthere :mrgreen: they will sure have some nice wines for you there. You did already find that Sangiovese/ Merlot that was nice.

@Caroli...I can't read the site...is it in Portugese. Did know some spanish 20 years ago, but thats nog spanish is it?
StormeyG
Space Cowboy

Postby caroli on Mon Sep 03, 2012 10:11 pm

Ah well...spanish is quite different from portuguese indeed..still, you don't have to read the info. the main part is that Alentejo is known also for its wine..only because Portugal has some of the best wine one could ever have :mrgreen:
caroli
Dynamite

Postby Giba7 on Tue Sep 04, 2012 3:06 am

my page translated!
That certainly looks deep and dark Caroli!
I'd love to visit the vineyards of Europe! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Giba7
Runaway

Postby StormeyG on Tue Sep 04, 2012 8:40 pm

I found Alentejo online, but have to buy 6 bottles. So I'll be keeping mijn eyes open for some Portugese wines. see if I can find it without having to buy 6 at once
StormeyG
Space Cowboy

Postby StormeyG on Tue Sep 04, 2012 8:41 pm

I had some really nice Pasta a l'arabiatta today. Simple, but it makes me happy :D
StormeyG
Space Cowboy

Postby caroli on Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:09 pm

StormeyG wrote:I found Alentejo online, but have to buy 6 bottles. So I'll be keeping mijn eyes open for some Portugese wines. see if I can find it without having to buy 6 at once

Awesome news. Porto and Douro also have great wine (from older vines) :mrgreen:
caroli
Dynamite

Postby StormeyG on Mon Sep 10, 2012 7:30 pm

I tried to make mint granita today...but that crapy icecream maker killed it again. So that thing will no longer be filling up closet and fridge space. I'm throwing it out.
So now I am stuck with making granita the old fashion way...stirring it every 20 minutes :P
StormeyG
Space Cowboy

Postby Giba7 on Mon Sep 10, 2012 11:44 pm

Stormey -so is granita like Italian ice?
came across this earlier this summer (did I post it?)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z4XPh5XT ... el&list=UL

we made it here and added lemon juice or other flavorings and surprisingly it was good!
Giba7
Runaway

Postby StormeyG on Tue Sep 11, 2012 7:13 pm

pfoei..that's a depressing video..didn't watch it all the way.
Granita is a Sicilian Ice..cream you can add http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Granita

I eat lots of Granite when I am on Lipari. They go out in the morning to pick fruit and make it in to Granite. It's so fresh, I just can't say no to it. They should make Mojito granita..I'll be living at the Gelateria!
StormeyG
Space Cowboy

Postby Giba7 on Wed Sep 12, 2012 3:13 am

:lol: yeah she's from the great depression era.
But her recipe is simple, cheap, and it all depends on what you add.
Mojito -sounds great on that ice!

why don't you make it and youtube it!! :mrgreen:

I enjoyed another caprese' salad today -fresh tomatoes and basil from my garden!
Giba7
Runaway

Postby StormeyG on Sun Sep 16, 2012 7:32 am

Got to love Insalata Caprese..it is so nice!

My kitchen is way to small for youtube filming..really and I wonder if Mojito Icecream would really freeze because of the alcohol, but it sure is worth a try. Need a new icecream maker though..thrown mine out last week.

I stayed up late last night, because I couldn't sleep and made a beautiful eggplant soup in the middle of the night. Don't know if my neighbours liked the sounds of my kitchen machineries..but I sure love my soup!
StormeyG
Space Cowboy

Postby caroli on Sun Sep 16, 2012 4:34 pm

It would freeze...may take some extra time but it freezes..I make icecream with rum :mrgreen:
caroli
Dynamite

Postby Giba7 on Fri Sep 28, 2012 3:35 am

so on a whim, I decided to make spiedini tonight. I watched my grandma make it once, so I went shopping and asked some lady if she was Italian (she was!) and chatted about how to and what filling! Came out okay.
Giba7
Runaway

Postby StormeyG on Fri Sep 28, 2012 6:20 am

That looks yummie Giba, with the melting cheese and all!!! yummmmm
StormeyG
Space Cowboy

Postby Giba7 on Sun Oct 14, 2012 10:50 pm

here's something I ate today!
still getting tomatoes and cucumbers from my garden!! w/kalamata olives and fresh mozzarella!
Giba7
Runaway

Postby MissLisa_since1999 on Sat Oct 20, 2012 3:17 pm

Giba7 wrote:so on a whim, I decided to make spiedini tonight. I watched my grandma make it once, so I went shopping and asked some lady if she was Italian (she was!) and chatted about how to and what filling! Came out okay.

I don't know what spiedinis are exactly but they look totally yummy!!
Giba7 wrote:here's something I ate today!
still getting tomatoes and cucumbers from my garden!! w/kalamata olives and fresh mozzarella!

Heeey that looks like a Greek Salad... except that feta cheese is used instead of mozzarella (I think)... Love it! :mrgreen:
MissLisa_since1999
Mr Moon

PreviousNext

Return to Everyday Chat