Home
Jamiroquai

What are you loving today about Jamiroquai music?

General chat and meaningful discussion about Jamiroquai. News about Jamiroquai should be posted and discussed here.

Re: What are you loving today about Jamiroquai music?

Postby joliefille on Sun Nov 24, 2013 4:53 am

I was listening to Marvin Gaye's "Feel All My Love Inside" late last night ;-) and the song's "message" seemed so similar to "Smoke & Mirrors."

So of course, I had to bust out my Marvin Gaye collection and low and behold, it seemed that a lot Jamiroquai's songs & Jay Kay's vibe and image and the "light years" "save children" and other consistent themes were heavily inspired by Marvin Gaye's later work. Marvin Gaye is legendary and was decades ahead of his time.

The similarities/resemblance of Jay Kay's music/themes - even images - to Gaye's are trippy. I'm sure other huge Marvin Gaye fans have elaborated more on this topic than I have time to right now.
joliefille
Supersonic

Postby Giba7 on Mon Nov 25, 2013 6:15 am

joliefille wrote:I was listening to Marvin Gaye's "Feel All My Love Inside" late last night ;-) and the song's "message" seemed so similar to "Smoke & Mirrors."

uhhhhhh hmmmmm :D really?

well, the angel theme is there, but I don't think Marvin is talking about The Good, The Bad & The Ugly! :lol:
And S & M seems to be a story, maybe about "Feel all my love inside"! :lol:

I don't remember reading anything that Jamiroquai mention Marvin Gaye. Would like to hear how much they were influenced in an interview. And there are similarities!

And as an artist, if you had to pick one artist to be compared to, I think Marvin Gaye would be the finest. Absolutely.
Giba7
Runaway

Postby Giba7 on Tue Dec 03, 2013 5:56 am

I woke up early today, and thought how
"She's a Fast Persuader" had a similar message to this classic,by Rose Royce.
:lol:
The singer I regret missing at the Magic Fest.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Crq-0KxyT3s
Giba7
Runaway

Postby Giba7 on Mon Dec 09, 2013 8:45 pm

So I just bought LateNightTales. Although confused, I discovered there is a series. Oh!
So it is the music Jamiroquai love? I think. Or maybe it's a mixtape.
I don't know some of the artists :lol:
But the best tune is definitely "Music of the Earth" by Patrice Rushen.
And Rufus "Once you get Started" -The greatest funk band and voice!
but I can't hear Feliciano cover the Mama's & Papa's tune. :P

And as for Jamiroquai & Marvin Gaye, I remember Jami (or Jay) mention the "Here, My Dear" album.
But definitely the influence in their early stuff would have to be from "What's Going On". Has to be! Never read that.

LateNightTales overlaps the songs to keep it a continuous loop. Marvin does this on "What's Going On" , where most of the end of the tunes continue into the next song -like there's no end in sight! :mrgreen:
Something Jamiroquai could do on their next album!
Giba7
Runaway

Postby Giba7 on Fri Dec 13, 2013 4:52 am

...whistling in the dark...
So I will say "A Funky Space Reincarnation" by Marvin Gaye may've been the influence for "Light Years" and "Cosmic Girl".
including lyrics of "Light Years, Moon, Star Wars, magnetise"
And Marvin's tune is quite a jam.
Giba7
Runaway

Postby joliefille on Fri Dec 13, 2013 7:35 pm

Ahhhh Giba 7, Marvin Gaye is the man. Check out "You Sure Love to Ball" and "After the Dance" super sexy. "Anger" is great as well; I can go on and on. Listening to "Come Get to This" now.

My comparison re Jay's lyrics and Marvin Gaye's sexual love songs is that they are very tongue in cheek re men, love, sex - it's funny, good stuff. A lot of the "romantic songs" are about the heat of the moment during which men will say anything. :)

I do not agree with the constant comparison of Jay to Stevie Wonder - now Stevie is the very first music I recall hearing as a child and I am well qualified to say that Jay does not sound like Stevie at all. I think people are ignorant or just not as passionate about music as others so they make generic comparisons.

If anything, Jay is little darker, more provocative - more like a Marvin Gaye vibe. Also, the talk overs etc.

Please start a thread regarding what Jay and the band are working on next. I am curious and in the U.S. I always get his stuff a couple of years late.
joliefille
Supersonic

Postby joliefille on Fri Dec 13, 2013 8:03 pm

"And as for Jamiroquai & Marvin Gaye, I remember Jami (or Jay) mention the "Here, My Dear" album.
But definitely the influence in their early stuff would have to be from "What's Going On". Has to be! Never read that."

Very cool Giba 7 - yes, I know and love that Marvin Gaye song - that's a beautiful song. I believe it is about his first divorce and their adopted son. The song/album was a parting gift. Wow - impressed with your and Jay's (haha, Jami sounds betters) knowledge and inspiration of such legends. Most people do not know lesser known tracks or b-sides.

Even at my wedding, I had to play you know the mainstream Marvin Gaye to get all the old fogies dancing. It worked :-)!!

Anyway, glad to have Jami's embodiment of Marvin Gaye's essence (not the Robin Thicke type sample; love Pharrell tho) still around; I know Marvin Gaye would be proud that the torch is still lit.
joliefille
Supersonic

Postby Giba7 on Sat Dec 14, 2013 5:15 am

Hey ho! sometimes I abbreviate Jamiroquai as Jami!
Stevie was the first music you heard? Awesome. My mom didn't like him so he wasn't played when I was a kid. :(
As for Here, My Dear it wasn't my favorite album. It seemed a bit vindictive, but yes a divorce settlement (the boy is Gordy's niece's child btw). And I Want You was Marvin's most provocative album, about 2nd wife to be. But What's Going On was his political album and awareness album, kinda where I see where Jamiroquai started.

I never saw the comparison of JK's voice to Stevie Wonder, but the quality in Jay's early songs have some similarities to Stevie, I think. But I do think Jay's voice is flexible and takes on different styles, but not really like Marvin Gaye. But Jamiroquai has a vibe similar to Marvin in some aspects. And "After the Dance" is a great tune, about a vulnerable moment -Which Marvin perfected! :lol:
But I don't think Jamiroquai is overly provocative, just perfect.

I agree -Jamiroquai's lyrics are very well done, and maybe tongue in cheek!
(I have a friend that said all songs are about love and sex anyways. )
"Come get to this" has the lyrics "You nearly blew my mind, baby"

Marvin sings of things like Anger, and divorce, in a flirting voice of falsetto. I think it (74-79) was the rebel years against his label, and wife, and fame, and drugs. His mid-70's was sorta the mid-life crisis.
His stuff is experimental, and extremely expressive & sexual, and beautiful.

Jamiroquai went through their own cycles. But I think Jami still puts together complete songs! :lol:
although they experiment a bit too! But I think they've maintained a more professional side to their songs and performances. :wink:
Giba7
Runaway

Postby joliefille on Wed Dec 18, 2013 7:45 pm

Hey Giba 7 I - I am thoroughly enjoying EOPE - so happy I found out about it, albeit 20 years after its release :-)

Super funky and timeless - the music & messages are just as relevant and the sound is still current. That's what trips me out - we are still dealing with the same stuff - as a people, as a planet. Not much has changed. And it's impressive that the sound is not dated at all.

Interesting that it is EOPE is considered acid jazz because it is so funky and upbeat/motivating - great to drive to and wake the hell up. Amazing stuff. I think people should give up trying to define or categorize Jami's music because it is truly undefinable - incredible fusion.

When I think of acid jazz, I think of Incognito - "Deep Waters" or Esque's "Skyview" or Brand New Heavies "Stay This Way" (all great songs music but a little more tame, mellow less funky and soulful.) EOPE is so f--------- soulful.

I always thought of acid jazz as a response/reaction to the clean, smooth, easy listening jazz of the late 80s (which I own a lot of but prefer the icons like Stan Getz - all time fav especially his collabs w/ Gilberto, Miles, Coltrane, etc.) I love Stanley Clark too.

Need to check out the Late Night Tales album you mentioned. Love Ramsey Lewis - he kills the piano. Also my parents used to play the other artist you mentioned Patrice R----------. There is a song by her I love I need to download. Check out Minnie Ripperton - amazing voice as well.

I tried sending you PMs but they are stuck in my outbox - not good at the forum operations stuff but it's a good outlet to discuss and learn about Jami and music in general. And it's a pleasant distraction.

Back to reality :-)

Ciao.
joliefille
Supersonic

Postby Giba7 on Thu Dec 19, 2013 4:25 am

I agree with all you've said!
EOPE was ahead of their time, and still so current!
(I only discovered it 3 1/2 years ago too -when my baby was 3!)
And totally a fusion of genre's -I only hear the term "acid jazz" in the European scene.
So maybe "acid" jazz is a bit more speedy/funky than simple jazz, maybe an element of hip-hop, as in Chili Pepper speed. I'm not sure on that genre what is implied!! :lol: But some songs are soulful too, deep. But I wouldn't classify Jamiroquai as the "Soul" genre, which seems more ballad & voice based, & R&B influence (seductive).

The Late Nite Tales is growing on me -I absolutely love Rushen's "Music of the Earth"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FRKMkdwhIkQ influenced "Music of the Wind"? (My radio played seem to only play "Forget Me Nots" & "Feels So Real" which are perfect as well!) As for my next favorite (new tune to me) is the Pointer Sisters' "Happiness"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T1OTfv7Xwj0

I love Ripperton's "Loving You". Don't know Stan Gets, but do love Miles Davis. I heard he once performed for a white audience with his back turned on them!!
Coltrane & Stanley Clark have great reputations -but I may only know a little.
Giba7
Runaway

Postby Giba7 on Thu Dec 19, 2013 4:42 am

@Joliefille I am cracking up now :lol: because the site has changed -the PM's need to be highlighted to be read -there are words with the emoji's!
Giba7
Runaway

Postby Giba7 on Wed Jan 08, 2014 3:01 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mao8DkPVA6Y
So this early Jamiroquai tune is Soul, but classified as acid Jazz. It's a very complex song, and amazing group of musicans (in their 20's)
And I think I like this one better than the record w/exception of losing the brass!, maybe more reverb on voice? awesome technique. plus a bit of scat at the end. and a funky bass.

I believe Nick VanG wrote this tune(w/o googling) and he's playing guitar here.
Giba7
Runaway

Postby Giba7 on Sun Jan 12, 2014 10:50 pm

So my son dragged me out to a Navy Seals film "Lone Survivor".
And the petty officer surprised his peer by doing a little dance to "Canned Heat"!
:lol: :lol: :lol:
I was dying!

Then I started thinking about Jamiroquai being in a "war" film.
And approval had been given to use it in the film.
Maybe Jamiroquai isn;t boycotting US after all.
But the message was the survivor had chosen life for the innocent,
and the small community ended up protecting his life.
So it had a great message.
Giba7
Runaway

Postby ElTouffoDrum on Mon Jan 13, 2014 6:29 pm

(I have already seen this post somewhere else :mrgreen: )

WTF Rémi :lol:
http://www.youtube.com/attribution_link ... re%3Dshare
ElTouffoDrum
Supersonic

Postby Giba7 on Wed Apr 02, 2014 4:17 am

so I've been listening to Synkronized in my car.
once i put a cd in my car it's there for months. :lol:

I do love "Where do we go from here"
but truly my favorite is the second half of "Canned Heat"! It's like a whole nother song!!
just when you think the songs over, it continues in another style!
3:25 to the end is my favorite part on the album!

But hey, we can't overlook "Black Capricorn Day"! What a funky tune! I love the brass!!
It's sounds like a '70's action film (and the video)! (can't think of genre.
g'nite
Giba7
Runaway

Postby ElTouffoDrum on Wed Apr 02, 2014 3:45 pm

My fav part is "Hey DJ let the music play, i wanna let this party liiive !"
"Butterfly" is awesome too.

But there's song i do not like, King For A Day/Destitute Illusions/Deeper Underground (i only like it in live :p ).. Musically it was a good album (my 3rd favorite after TWM and TROSTC) but it wasn't a good period for the band. The departure of Zender, the start of the problems of Jay with drugs, show-biz, etc...
ElTouffoDrum
Supersonic

Postby Giba7 on Thu Apr 03, 2014 4:03 am

ElTouffoDrum wrote:My fav part is "Hey DJ let the music play, i wanna let this party liiive !"

Yes!! it's totally living on a dance floor!
The DJ controls your fate!

I just love the lyrics of Destitude Illusions
:mrgreen:
Giba7
Runaway

Postby joliefille on Thu Apr 03, 2014 8:41 pm

I still cannot commit to the purchasing the entire Synchronized album - "Falling" (bleh - "I miss you, I want to kiss you" barf) sounds so similar to "Butterfly" - although "Butterfly" is better lyrically. Regardless, Jayfizzle has a unique voice so pretty much everything he sings is pleasant on the ears - so to me there still is not a bad Jamiroquai song.

I don't like Deeper Underground either for some reason.

Canned Heat is awesome - my favorite workout song; and I am really digging "Where Do We Go From Here?"; perhaps because I have ADD :-) and need to mix it up and cannot listen to the same stuff over and over.

I think the band should issue of compilation of the sheer funky under-rated stuff - "Where Do We Go From Here?", "Whatever It Is I Just Can't Stop", Awwwh the live version of "If I Like It, I Do It" etc.
joliefille
Supersonic

Postby Giba7 on Fri Apr 04, 2014 1:37 am

I do love the songs you mention WDWGFH, WIIIJCS (haha I love the abreviations!!)
but assumed I was the only one cuz everybody always cites Too Young to die & When you gonna learn.
But for me, all songs were new because I didn't get the first 2 albums til 2010!!

aw, I do like Falling, even better than Butterfly. I like soul ballads!
I forgot it's spelled Synkronized.
Giba7
Runaway

Postby ElTouffoDrum on Fri Apr 04, 2014 5:30 am

Oh yes, i forgot Falling ! Great verse..
"Yeaaah you, you you you you ! You're the one.." (i love the way he repeat "you"... So class, soul/jazzy :D )
ElTouffoDrum
Supersonic

Postby joliefille on Fri Apr 04, 2014 7:13 am

Alexandre - that is my favorite lyric/part of "Falling" - the "you you you you you - you're the one" We are so on the same wavelength. Nuts.

I sing/talk (can't sing really :-)) that part for my little one - the "you you you you" and point at her - she just giggles and loves it.

I still think Falling and Butterfly sound very similar; and I like simple lyrics but Falling's . . . ."scent of roses in your hair" . . .

I used to really like these songs but I think I just overplayed them.

@Giba7 - you mentioned some truly great soul ballads by multiple artists since I have been on this forum; do you really think "Falling" and "Butterfly" measure up?

"Whatever It Is I Just Can't Stop" - is the jam. When Jayfizzle starts making the grunts sounds towards the end - I smile. And "I'll send you the bill when I'm thru" - I feel like that w/ folks all the time (like my husband tonight :-) haha!)

Ok - I must go to bed at proper time. Good morning to some, night to others.
joliefille
Supersonic

Postby joliefille on Fri Apr 04, 2014 5:37 pm

Realized that the "You, you you you you" line may be quite common in soul ballads.

I was listening to Tower of Power's "You're Still A Young Man" last night - and awwwwh, when the singer breaks it out down and starts begging at the end - his "it's you you you you" and "tryin' to tell you that it's you you you you you" kind of tops the one in "Falling." More soulful, more heartfelt - I just really feel it every time I listen to this song.

Check it out. Amazing horns on the track too.
joliefille
Supersonic

Postby Giba7 on Fri Apr 04, 2014 5:52 pm

omg I'm going to a concert with tower of Power!
I don't really know much by them, they are opening...

I think "Falling" could certainly hold its ground on the Soul radio station!! It's a well-written tune. Solid!
It may be, however, the one that I hear JK's accent!
Also when I first heard "Half the Man" I practically fell off the chair knowing it was the same band from TWM.
"Butterfly" is more jazzy, a little sassy, and "hmmmm" :lol: but also a great tune!

I do think ballads are essential to break up a concert or album.

But definitley think WIIIJCS is one of their funkiest tunes that don't get credit. I LOVE it.
They could play it loud and get the house rolling! That guitar :P
Giba7
Runaway

Postby Giba7 on Thu May 15, 2014 5:57 pm

Gotta love this version of "Love Foolosophy". :mrgreen:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H9ZscqH7dhc
Giba7
Runaway

Postby Giba7 on Wed May 21, 2014 3:12 pm

100 days of Dance "Canned Heat"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ycn5VmBUYY#t=14

that's one dedicated fan :wink: and almost 6 million views!
Giba7
Runaway

PreviousNext

Return to The Funktion Room - Jamiroquai Chat