Home
Jamiroquai

What are you loving today about Jamiroquai music?

General chat and meaningful discussion about Jamiroquai. News about Jamiroquai should be posted and discussed here.

What are you loving today about Jamiroquai music?

Postby Giba7 on Fri Feb 10, 2012 7:46 pm

:lol: Here's a thread to discuss what lyrics you notice, or something about Jamiroquai's music.

So today I was listening to a mix of my favorites. And to me my favorite Jamiroquai's tunes all have this smooth vibe, or a solid beat. They will remain one of my favorite bands just for these tunes.

The tune "Electric Mistress" was probably overlooked. But the beginning of the song is the best!
I just love the club feel, and the background vocals are great.
And the lyrics, kinda gut-wrenching. But he could be singing about cats and dogs and I'd still love it!

One concert in the states. Why can't they at least do 1 lousy concert here? :cry:
Giba7
Runaway

Re: What are you loving today about Jamiroquai music?

Postby curse_t_70 on Sat Feb 11, 2012 12:50 am

It is a staple in my life right now....along with food, shelter, beer :wink: ....In an awfully selfish way, part of me likes that a lot of people around me don't know who the hell they are....cranking the tunes with the windows down (it's a mild winter this year) I like to imagine someone listening and thinking what's that great song?....but on the other hand it would feel great to help spread the word and influence someone to discover their greatness, kind of help them see the light so to speak :wink: Always hoping they come to Canada.........
Here is a well done compilation of Jay done for his birthday that made me fall in love with him all over again.........shows all his lovely moves and sense of humour.
http://youtu.be/HjQ-vGQvfMY
curse_t_70
Space Cowboy

Location: Victoria, B.C, Canada (home of the Day Glo Abortions))

Postby MissLisa_since1999 on Sat Feb 11, 2012 7:47 pm

curse_t_70 wrote:In an awfully selfish way, part of me likes that a lot of people around me don't know who the hell they are....cranking the tunes with the windows down (it's a mild winter this year) I like to imagine someone listening and thinking what's that great song?....but on the other hand it would feel great to help spread the word and influence someone to discover their greatness, kind of help them see the light so to speak :wink:

:shock: Sometimes I feel exactly the same thing! :oops: And I hate it, hate it... so I try hard to master this selfish feeling... and it often works, phew! :?

curse_t_70 wrote:Here is a well done compilation of Jay done for his birthday that made me fall in love with him all over again.........shows all his lovely moves and sense of humour.

I love this video... thanks curse_t for posting it! :D
I like... Jamiroquai's style! Jay is kinda unconventional and I love that!
MissLisa_since1999
Mr Moon

Postby Jazzhole on Mon Feb 13, 2012 12:51 pm

curse_t_70 wrote:It is a staple in my life right now....along with food, shelter, beer :wink: ....In an awfully selfish way, part of me likes that a lot of people around me don't know who the hell they are....cranking the tunes with the windows down (it's a mild winter this year) I like to imagine someone listening and thinking what's that great song?....but on the other hand it would feel great to help spread the word and influence someone to discover their greatness, kind of help them see the light so to speak :wink: Always hoping they come to Canada.........

I don't get it, everybody born 1992- knows Jamiroquai and even in the US they had an interesting role back in the 90's, 2000's...

Either way, the world is divided by people eho think only rock is music and people who think whatever gets to be on the radio mostly is music, so yeah...
Jazzhole
Supersonic

Postby Giba7 on Mon Feb 13, 2012 3:02 pm

Jazzhole wrote:I don't get it, everybody born 1992- knows Jamiroquai and even in the US they had an interesting role back in the 90's, 2000's...

Well, they were popular here in the 90's.
omg I had to edit this!

curse_t_70 wrote:It is a staple in my life right now....along with food, shelter, beer :wink: ....In an awfully selfish way, part of me likes that a lot of people around me don't know who the hell they are....cranking the tunes with the windows down (it's a mild winter this year) I like to imagine someone listening and thinking what's that great song?....but on the other hand it would feel great to help spread the word and influence someone to discover their greatnesshttp://youtu.be/HjQ-vGQvfMY

:lol: So true!
Last edited by Giba7 on Wed Nov 20, 2013 4:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Giba7
Runaway

Postby CosmicLea on Mon Feb 13, 2012 11:38 pm

Great topic, Giba!

I love so much about Jamiroquai's music. The groove and vibe, Jay's voice, the complexity of the music. I can always listen to JMQ's music, I don't need to be in any particular mood. And JMQ's music always lifts my spirits if I'm feeling a bit down. And JMQ is always my number 1 choice of music to listen to! :D
CosmicLea
Space Cowboy

Postby Giba7 on Sat Apr 28, 2012 2:24 am

Giba7
Runaway

Postby curse_t_70 on Sat Apr 28, 2012 3:09 am

Careful Giba.... you might just get booted off the site for that..... :lol: I think it is pretty ugly
curse_t_70
Space Cowboy

Location: Victoria, B.C, Canada (home of the Day Glo Abortions))

Postby MissLisa_since1999 on Sat Apr 28, 2012 12:45 pm

curse_t_70 wrote:Careful Giba.... you might just get booted off the site for that..... :lol: I think it is pretty ugly

Yes, they could think you're a new spammer! :lol: Don't like it either!
MissLisa_since1999
Mr Moon

Postby Giba7 on Sun Apr 29, 2012 10:10 pm

ah well, I didn't create the watch! :wink:
Giba7
Runaway

Postby Giba7 on Sun Oct 21, 2012 10:42 pm

Y'know, yesterday Jamiroquai celebrated 20 Years since their debut release!!! :mrgreen:
Their debut was "When you gonna Learn?".
And there was an official statement on Facebook from Jay. Sweet.
"20 years ago eh? Doesn't time fly when you're having fun! To all the fans who have followed us since that first single, well, it's been quite an adventure hasn't it! Who knew back then what it would all lead to. It's truly overwhelming and I'd like to thank all our fans throughout the world for your love and support. I can tell you one thing though - it doesn't feel like 20 years. In so many ways I feel like our story is still unfolding with lots more to discover along the way!" - Jay

I'm cracking up Kirsty -Jay says "eh"!!! :lol:
Giba7
Runaway

Postby caroli on Sun Oct 21, 2012 11:43 pm

awesome ! :mrgreen:
caroli
Dynamite

Re: What are you loving today about Jamiroquai?

Postby Giba7 on Wed Nov 07, 2012 5:12 am

y'know, I was on twitter and found fresh_era's page.
and discovered Jay had donated a helicopter ride for a charity fundraiser for Myeloma.
how great is this? :mrgreen:
http://www.jamirousa.com/

and funny they say
Please note that the weight limit is around 18 stone per person.

:lol:
Giba7
Runaway

Postby caroli on Thu Nov 08, 2012 9:50 pm

He donated an helicopter ride? ...is that useful? :lol:
caroli
Dynamite

Postby Giba7 on Fri Nov 09, 2012 5:13 pm

it was like a date with Jay but without Jay! :lol:

well, Myelo is a blood disorder considered pre-leukemia.
This is something my sister has. So to me it is a very nice gesture.
Last edited by Giba7 on Sun Nov 11, 2012 8:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Giba7
Runaway

Postby caroli on Fri Nov 09, 2012 9:21 pm

hmm... donating something sounds always nice but wouldn't it be better If he had donated actual money? :lol:
caroli
Dynamite

Postby MissLisa_since1999 on Sat Nov 10, 2012 10:29 pm

Maybe they will sell it!
MissLisa_since1999
Mr Moon

Postby Giba7 on Sun Nov 11, 2012 8:30 pm

MissLisa_since1999 wrote:Maybe they will sell it!

what? you don't like the helicopter? :lol:

caroli wrote:hmm... donating something sounds always nice but wouldn't it be better If he had donated actual money? :lol:

I believe it was the helicopter ride as a bid, and the money was given to charity. :wink:

you girls are too tough!
Giba7
Runaway

Postby funkyette on Mon Nov 19, 2012 3:42 am

it would of been a sweeter deal if he donated himself as the pilot for the day :lol:

but its still nice for what he's doing
funkyette
Supersonic

Postby Giba7 on Fri Jan 18, 2013 4:16 am

I listened to Travelling Without Moving today.
Only I was moving and driving in my car all day. :lol:

Virtual Insanity and Spend a Lifetime are just perfectly sung.
But I really tried to listen to all the instruments.
VI, Cosmic Girl, Everyday, High Times, You Are my Love, and Spend a Lifetime are my favorites.
But there was such a flow from one song to another.
I remember playing this album over and over in my car in '97.
Giba7
Runaway

Postby Giba7 on Mon Sep 23, 2013 5:52 pm

okay so I go on Twitter and see all the fans for Jamiroquai! Fans that dedicate their Twitter page to Jamiroquai in their bio, or put pictures of Jay and the headdresses, or special pics of Jamiroquai over the years!

So many dedicated fans.
:mrgreen:
Giba7
Runaway

Postby Giba7 on Wed Nov 20, 2013 4:41 am

ECHO echo echo
it's pretty quiet here.
But on twitter, there are many accounts dedicated to covering each Jamiroquai concert, each event they attend, and little bits of info -
like the Sandance concert, and "You Give me Something" being released yesterday, back in 2001.
and it's all fan-based, which is a great dedication to the band!
:mrgreen:
Giba7
Runaway

Postby joliefille on Fri Nov 22, 2013 7:32 pm

I think Jay Kay has one of the greatest voices of his generation. I am saying that as true music lover (my Dad was a musician & exposed me very early on) and as a person who appreciates and genuinely loves good music - from jazz to rap to R&B Soul to rock to house etc. - and real talent - everything from Billie Holiday to Steely Dan to Zeppelin to Stevie Wonder, Marvin Gaye to 2Pac etc to name a few.

Having grown up with Jay Kay's music and comparing him to other GenXer artists - he will be one of the legends looking back. I can think of few performers who sound better and create such magic LIVE without all of the hokiness (I am thinking of Kanye's masks - right now.)

Honestly, Jay Kay needs more publicity, airtime and concerts in the US. I am fortunate to have lived in London and do a semester abroad at Oxford and was introduced to this cheeky little genuis' music. The US is producing a lot of crap artists that are unfortunately really popular.

My 3 year old requests "Rock Dust Light Star" - yes really and thinks "Lifeline" is about her bc I sing along with Jay Kay in the car to her (and some of the lyrics can pertain to her because she was my "lifeline of love" and "made just for me.") We groove out to him in the car, in the office. It's a blast.

Glad he is still doing his thing.
joliefille
Supersonic

Postby joliefille on Fri Nov 22, 2013 7:49 pm

Lately - well I live in the US (we are behind here on great music) and only recently bought Rock Dust Light Star on Itunes. I normally do not do forums like this and stuff but nobody seems to know about or discuss Jamiroquai here and I had no idea the band had new work out until I went to go buy some old school Jamiroquai songs on Itunes because I could not find the original CDs.

What I love about Rock Dust Light Star songs are how relatable they are given the arc of his career and the lives of his fans - we have gotten older so it is a lot less clubs/partying and more reflecting about life, love, relationships (old and new). I get Two Completely Different Things. I have loss my Dad and "Never Gonna Be Another" is so consoling I want it at my own funeral. I know about lifelines and those relationships. He's matured, his fans have matured - and life is getting more real, more serious. And Jay Kay did an amazing job mirroring his music/art and real life on this album. I live in sunny California and "Blue Skies" (which we have about 90% of the year), makes me look up and gives me hope and reminds me I am in control of my life and happiness; not others.

Also Jay Kay seems to have more control of voice than his earlier albums - it's huskier, mellower. He is one artist where smoking a ton of cigarettes (can't say fag here in the US :-) has affected his singing voice for the better.

When he was young - he just sang his little heart out like a wild, caged animal finally unleashed. It's funny looking back and comparing.
joliefille
Supersonic

Postby Giba7 on Sat Nov 23, 2013 9:51 pm

Yes! Jay Kay really does have a great voice! He's flexible, and has gotten better as he's gotten older, but really, had great control in his 20's too! Totally amazing stuff in the first 2 albums.

2Pac? :lol: I hate to admit I like Kanye's stuff, but can't stand him or his hype.
So it's only about the music, right?
Giba7
Runaway

Next

Return to The Funktion Room - Jamiroquai Chat