Home
Jamiroquai

understanding (of some lyrics) ?

General chat and meaningful discussion about Jamiroquai. News about Jamiroquai should be posted and discussed here.

Postby solstar on Sun Dec 23, 2007 7:06 pm

kg wrote: the thing is that l dont get that "lm hot tequila brown" thing... and that of sunshine down... :?

In Evening Standard interview I have it says this: "In late 2003, just before he gave up cocaine, Jay....found himself sitting hollow-eyed on a beach in Costa Rica where the band were supposed to be recording. 'Hot Tequila Brown'....was inspired by that moment, sitting on a tropical beach, freezing, high and empty-hearted."

So I assume when he says "Sun shine, shine down...Don't shoot me down...I'm stone cold but I'm lying here..." he is thinking about that moment...he's still existing in the world, under the sun, miserable but alive--knowing it can't go on & he needs to do something about it(?).
Last edited by solstar on Mon Feb 04, 2008 4:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
solstar
Supersonic

Postby Nuka_kobaxidze on Sun Dec 23, 2007 7:44 pm

Solstar i agree with you.Maybe you are right :)
Nuka_kobaxidze
Supersonic

Postby dargelita on Mon Dec 24, 2007 12:52 am

solstar wrote:
kg wrote: the thing is that l dont get that "lm hot tequila brown" thing... and that of sunshine down... :?

I'm not sure why Jay says he's "Hot Tequila Brown" specifically, but in the Evening Standard interview I have it says this: "In late 2003, just before he gave up cocaine, Jay....found himself sitting hollow-eyed on a beach in Costa Rica where the band were supposed to be recording. 'Hot Tequila Brown'....was inspired by that moment, sitting on a tropical beach, freezing, high and empty-hearted."

So I assume when he says "Sun shine, shine down...Don't shoot me down...I'm stone cold but I'm lying here..." he is thinking about that moment...he's still existing in the world, under the sun, miserable but alive--knowing it can't go on & he needs to do something about it(?).

i have to say i totally agree with you- :)
dargelita
Runaway

Postby kg on Wed Dec 26, 2007 6:21 pm

humm!!!! NICE, NICE! :D
kg
Dynamite

Postby Flatko on Tue Jan 01, 2008 4:12 am

"Get high" is everywhere ;)

This chat is making me happy - many people with many favotite lyrics .. If Jay tell us what is all about, it wouldnt be so interesting, right? Its all about the music and how we understand it...

..i like how this thread is going, i found new friends here.
so, happy new year and listen to the music :)
Flatko

Location: Tyrnovo, Bulgaria, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way, Universe...

Postby jamirocat on Wed Jan 16, 2008 3:23 pm

Nuka_kobaxidze wrote:I like very much the lyrics of Talullah.This always makes me remind of someone.It is so sad......
Now there's a hole in my soul
And I'm losing control
I know you're my magic star
But you've gone away and flown too far this time....On this forum someone wrote that Jay always Gets what he wants but he can't get what he needs.And that's true.i agree.And what do you think?
hmm maybe. what do u think he needs? i wonder if the lyrics have anything to do with his dreams, visions, or possibly astral travel? child of the star is jay. no?
jamirocat
Supersonic

Postby Jameerica on Wed Jan 16, 2008 5:49 pm

Flatko wrote:"Get high" is everywhere ;)

This chat is making me happy - many people with many favotite lyrics .. If Jay tell us what is all about, it wouldnt be so interesting, right? Its all about the music and how we understand it...

Well yeh but wouldn't it be nice to know what some of them mean,like Morning glory?It can be applied to many things and have a meaning
Or what about the "lyrics" in Bullet?
Jameerica
Runaway

Location: Qarth, greatest city that ever was or ever will be.

Postby Flatko on Mon Jan 21, 2008 11:06 pm

Jameerica wrote:Well yeh but wouldn't it be nice to know what some of them mean,like Morning glory?It can be applied to many things and have a meaning
Or what about the "lyrics" in Bullet?

I agree, it would be nice ... Jay, do you read :) Btw, i never heard Bullet, any idea where can i find it?

PP.When I listen to Morning Glory, i imagine a girl that i want to meet someday... but i still didn't ...
Flatko

Location: Tyrnovo, Bulgaria, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way, Universe...

Postby solstar on Tue Jan 22, 2008 1:31 am

Flatko wrote:When I listen to Morning Glory, i imagine a girl that i want to meet someday... but i still didn't ...
That's a nice thought, though. :)

Who knows what he was thinking at the time when it was written--no hallucinogen-inspired song has to make sense :wink: But it seems the song does mean envisioning some kind of ideal....literally a vision of someone/thing leading him to some kind of utopian-like place? ("can't you take me there, away from soliloquies of sadness, and prophecies of pain...well lead me far I'll hold your hand") He was depressed when he wrote this album, too. A euphoric state of mind ("say I want to go there....want to go to the morning glory") and surely a longing for inner peace and a type of spiritual perfection; a one-ness with everything--for himself and maybe the whole world. Anyway that's my hippie-vibe take on it. 8) It's truly a beautiful song.
solstar
Supersonic

Postby solstar on Tue Jan 22, 2008 1:45 am

jamirocat wrote:child of the star is jay. no?

Nice! :D 8)
solstar
Supersonic

Postby Flatko on Tue Jan 22, 2008 2:05 am

solstar wrote:a longing for inner peace and a type of spiritual perfection; a one-ness with everything--for himself and maybe the whole world.

Exactly.
I always feel the need of this inner harmony and i wonder how can you describe it so good! Finally i find why i listen to this music so much. That is - higher state of mind... So glad to see other people feeling this way.

Same feeling when i listen Do You Know Where You Coming From - a place that is far away from our reality, a place deep in my mind.
Flatko

Postby dargelita on Tue Jan 22, 2008 2:50 am

kinda an utopic peaceful place. :wink:
dargelita
Runaway

Postby solstar on Tue Jan 22, 2008 2:58 am

Flatko wrote:Exactly. I always feel the need of this inner harmony and i wonder how can you describe it so good! Finally i find why i listen to this music so much. That is - higher state of mind... So glad to see other people feeling this way.
I think most people are always searching for this on some level, & some can truly attain it. For everyone else...we try however we can. (That's where religion comes into it & drugs too, among other things)

Flatko wrote:Same feeling when i listen Do You Know Where You Coming From - a place that is far away from our reality, a place deep in my mind.
8) Great song, too.
solstar
Supersonic

Postby chaman333 on Sun Jan 27, 2008 3:29 am

What a problem for non english speakers like me, the only thing that i say about your problem of comunication is Hakuna Matata, it don't matter just enjoy it and if you understanding ...cool... :roll:
chaman333
Supersonic

Postby mr.aZ on Sun Feb 03, 2008 1:47 am

kg wrote:humm, well, actually is that nobody solve my doubts, but anyway as, usual, its the usual :roll:
hahahahaha
mr.aZ
Dynamite

Location: mendoza, this corner of argentina is like me in many ways

Postby jamirocat on Mon Feb 04, 2008 2:23 am

Jameerica wrote:Translated: I wanna keep away from coke long enough to let my pupils narrow back down. :roll:
oh! i never thought of that. what is hot tequila brown? i thought maybe heroin.
jamirocat
Supersonic

Postby dargelita on Mon Feb 04, 2008 3:03 am

maybe.
it could be cheeba though, but i bet it's heroin.
dargelita
Runaway

Postby Jameerica on Mon Feb 04, 2008 1:43 pm

jamirocat wrote:what is hot tequila brown?

Tequila? :lol:
Jameerica
Runaway

Location: Qarth, greatest city that ever was or ever will be.

Postby solstar on Mon Feb 04, 2008 4:53 pm

jamirocat wrote:What is hot tequila brown? i thought maybe heroin.
dargelita wrote:maybe.it could be cheeba though, but i bet it's heroin.

It's brown tequila:

The song "Hot Tequila Brown" is about a three-day cocaine binge that almost killed you.

Yeah, it talks about being awake after three days and wondering what the hell I'm doing. I'm watching the sun come up and not realizing the Costa Rican sun comes up pretty quick and gets pretty hot. So the bottle of brown tequila I had on the bed with my eyes lolling about came to my lips and it was like, it was like ... drinking coffee from Starbucks.

That's like drinking diarrhea.

This s -- burned my lips off. After that, I thought, I don't want to play this game anymore.
solstar
Supersonic

Postby kg on Mon Feb 04, 2008 11:31 pm

chaman333 wrote:What a problem for non english speakers like me, the only thing that i say about your problem of comunication is Hakuna Matata, it don't matter just enjoy it and if you understanding ...cool... :roll:

:lol: :lol: :lol: sure!!

@ solstar: now lm lost :shock: :shock: :shock:
:lol: :lol: eewwwww
kg
Dynamite

Postby dargelita on Tue Feb 05, 2008 4:19 am

kg wrote:

@ solstar: now lm lost :shock: :shock: :shock:

:?: :?: :?: :?:
dargelita
Runaway

Postby solstar on Tue Feb 05, 2008 10:25 pm

kg wrote:@ solstar: now lm lost :shock: :shock: :shock:

What???

If you're talking about my last post, I was showing part of an interview where Jay talks about that song...he's answering the questions there--I was showing that the song is called "Hot Tequila Brown" because he actually had a bottle of brown tequila that morning.

Sorry kg; I should have put names in the interview.
solstar
Supersonic

Postby dargelita on Wed Feb 06, 2008 3:01 am

i heard he was at his home back in Buckinghamshire when Hot Tequila Brown came to his mind. :roll:
sorry ! i'm lying, i read an interview where jay mentioned that !.
dargelita
Runaway

Postby solstar on Wed Feb 06, 2008 4:34 am

:D Ummm....maybe he was in England, thinking about that time in S.A., & it came to his mind!

The rest of the interview,by the way.
solstar
Supersonic

Postby dargelita on Wed Feb 06, 2008 2:06 pm

yyyeea, maybe...
:wink:
dargelita
Runaway

PreviousNext

Return to The Funktion Room - Jamiroquai Chat