Home
Jamiroquai

Jamiroquai hidden in the media

General chat and meaningful discussion about Jamiroquai. News about Jamiroquai should be posted and discussed here.

Re: Jamiroquai hidden in the media

Postby caroli on Wed Aug 15, 2012 6:52 pm

librada wrote:I was watching VH1 greatest songs of the 90's yesterday and "virtual insanity" was included. but it was funny cuz when they talked about where the band is now, they only mentioned that they are still together and did a concert on a plane.

i was like seriously!! :? they're doing extremely well and selling out stadiums all over the world! and have a new album out! geez :shock:

That show is extremely old and it is not updated so don't worry :mrgreen:
caroli
Dynamite

Postby librada on Wed Aug 15, 2012 11:43 pm

haha! i figured. :roll:
librada

Postby Giba7 on Thu Aug 16, 2012 10:55 pm

librada wrote:Win your tickets?

I won 2 sets of tickets this year and had to drive to the radio stations to pick them up.
Cheap ass -what's the price of a stamp? 42 cents? Gas=$5!
Giba7
Runaway

Postby funkyette on Wed Sep 26, 2012 1:13 am

just heard someone singing VI on the voice, unfortunately he did not do the song justice and also he talks and sings like a woman..at least he has good taste in music :lol:

now if only we can have jamiroquai performing here in the states, to show how it's really done :wink:
funkyette
Supersonic

Postby Giba7 on Thu Sep 27, 2012 3:20 am

yes, I missed that! I watched part of the Voice too!
(At first I was thinking 6, but VI must be Virtual Insanity.) :lol:

IJ Quinn -Here is a snippet of him singing. I really don't care for his voice :| but glad he picked the song http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vimCPfb6wQs

he needs to get a head voice :P
Giba7
Runaway

Postby CosmicLea on Thu Sep 27, 2012 5:48 am

A contestant on X Factor Australia, Nathaniel Willemse, sang "Canned Heat" on Monday night:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3f2zt0O4faY

He was really good. :) Apart from the last note and the random drum solo :lol: He is mentored on the show by Guy Sebastian. :D
Great that a Jami song was featured cuz it brings them back into the public eye :wink:
CosmicLea
Space Cowboy

Postby funkyette on Thu Sep 27, 2012 5:19 pm

Giba7 wrote:(At first I was thinking 6, but VI must be Virtual Insanity.) :lol:

i didn't realize that until now, i was being a lil lazy with typing the song :oops:

also i checked out nathaniel singing canned heat, i only liked how he sang "you know this boogie is for real...". Other than that it was ok, he wasn't funky enough for this song :P ...but he did a better job than quinn on the voice
funkyette
Supersonic

Postby StormeyG on Sat Sep 29, 2012 11:58 am

it was '90 week at the radiostation and a lot of Jamiroquai songs came by. Imagine my smile all day!
StormeyG
Space Cowboy

Postby Giba7 on Wed Oct 10, 2012 4:25 am

A radio commercial on KISS fm had "Little L" in the background.
:shock:
Giba7
Runaway

Postby Giba7 on Wed Nov 07, 2012 5:10 pm

bought a cd on ebay today.
always check for misc. Jamiroquai stuff. and found this -a signed 8 x 10 of Jay's mom! :lol:
awwwww! his mom! (she is very pretty)!
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mother-of-Jamir ... 58981f1fb9
Giba7
Runaway

Postby MissLisa_since1999 on Wed Nov 07, 2012 8:32 pm

she's so pretty! First time I see her...

Little L!! :lol: @ 0:40 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mqRrdjnbv58
(it's a french TV show)
MissLisa_since1999
Mr Moon

Postby CosmicLea on Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:26 pm

I heard "Smile" in a store called "Forever New" at my local shopping mall yesterday.
:shock: :shock: :shock:

I was so shocked and happy, especially since "Smile" was not even an album or single release! :D
CosmicLea
Space Cowboy

Postby funkyette on Sat Dec 22, 2012 3:27 am

just heard WKR in bloomingdales :) , i was a little surprised since i rarely hear jamiroquai being played in public places, especially their latest songs :wink:
funkyette
Supersonic

Postby Goergia on Sun Sep 15, 2013 4:04 pm

i just realized that playing in the background of a movie called love, honour and obey is bullet that is being played in the shop and denise van outen is in that movie aswell.
Goergia

Postby joliefille on Wed Jan 15, 2014 4:41 am

Funny - Jamiroquai songs are featured in a lot of US films - I have learned about songs that way. But the US is all about the "celeb" "antics" "publicity" - it is a quick cycle - the band won't really break America until they come out of their shell - that is if they want to make it here.

George Michael played the game. Elton John is loved here - Led - so many British imports. But when they go into hiding - it does not help their popularity here; which sucks. Because seeing them at the Hollywood Bowl - which even less popular bands sell out - would be quite the experience.

The acoustics there are amazing.

While I understand wanting to maintain privacy - the band and Jay have a gift and to share it with the world, they need to promote themselves. I love that line that the only revolution is in the music - because it is true. We have become so apathetic - but music resonates what many people feel but are not brave to express. They have a message delivered in a beautiful way - people miss out if the remain hidden.

I do not want to read about the Kardashians, Beiber, Gomez, Lovato (no offense) - we all lose by not being exposed to great music.
joliefille
Supersonic

Postby Giba7 on Thu Jan 16, 2014 4:41 am

Yup. Celebrities are usually marketed, making their product sell. If they want to sell here (in U.S.) they'd have to promote. My generation slightly remembers Jamiroquai. :lol: (I've taken a poll ;)

But Lordes is playing on the hip-hop station here, consistently. It just doesn't fit.
Makes me think somebody paid the piper! :lol:
So maybe Jamiroquai should consider that -seriously. Payola. :wink:
Get it out there and it will take off. Jamiroquai do have a gift to share.

It seems JK has had some serious negative media press in the UK. So wanting press may be a quandary. For some reason I don't think it would be that way here in the U.S. Keep it neutral, and not about the guy.

I mean you have the Kardashians & Kanye, who are simply self-promoting, to get the press.
Gomez & Lovato are Disney channel, also seriously promoted.

I don't think in the U.S. the musicians receive as much press, negative or positive.
I can't think of one thing in the past years to hit our press regarding Eminem. (besides his RS interview) Unless the media is just afraid of him :o
(although Twitter covered his daughter as Homecoming Queen).

Just don't get picked up by TMZ -dumb show.
Giba7
Runaway

Postby joliefille on Tue Jan 28, 2014 1:18 am

Hahahaha! - seriously re Eminem. It's not funny because it is his kid - but oh wow, the press/paps today are pretty low.

It sucks real journalism has died because real musicians have so much knowledge/messages to impart but all we read about it is what they wore, who they sleep with (hahaha! thx to caroli I am toning down the language), what club they were at etc etc. Great musicians are like mini "prophets" spreading knowledge - whatever else they do is their business.

Up until now that is what kept Jamiroquai so pure for me - and it was always more about the music (rather than spending my free time on a fan forum :-)) - the band's lack of press here is kind of a good thing because I honestly didn't and still don't know much about their personal lives - except Jay needs a wife, which I learned here - hahahaha! Never even knew the band members name or that they had switched or Jay's bday. Jay could have a wife and three kids and a baby mama and a mistress - I would not know here. I am being silly yet honest- but ignore me.

Jamiroquai was an audio thing for me- not visual, not personal. Good music is good music.

The band could hang out in LA - the pappiest place of all places - and I doubt anyone would even bother them.
joliefille
Supersonic

Postby joliefille on Tue Jan 28, 2014 1:31 am

I do not think the media is afraid - it is just a numbers' game about what sells and getting the most hits. Example - Justin Beiber getting arrested - f---------- everywhere; treated as real news when so much is going on in the world.

When artists are arses in interviews or towards the press (and I do not blame them - who wants a camera in your face all the time? people prying about petty stuff?) in interviews - that becomes press in and of itself. Unfortunately, getting forms of culture out there - rather it be a movie, book or music - requires some hype. It is what it is.

I do find the US lacking in culture in a lot of ways - 1. style/ fashion (LA perhaps the worse although we here seem to put a lot of effort into looking good but just not quality, classic stuff), 2. food - who can eat three pancakes, 2 eggs, bacon and hashbrowns yet the gov spends money campaigning about obesity, 3. Music -obviously why else would I be here :-), 4. Languages - we travel and assume wherever we go people will know English - even Brits do not understand us at times (I think was heading to King St. and a cab driver in London took me to Kane, Cain - no idea years ago. I am from California - not the South.)
joliefille
Supersonic

Postby Giba7 on Tue Jan 28, 2014 2:52 am

omg you are so funny joliefille!!
yes, I knew absolutely nothing of Jamiroquai until I rediscovered them in 2010!
It's always about the music (audio), and not about who they are. (I can't fake it!)
I loved TWM, but didn't even know any of the member's names either!
I think they purposely kept things private (the hats, & Jay & members faces were limited in booklets).

I don't think they'd gain the negative press here in the US today. Our vultures prey on the youth.
But Jami made it when they were young. And that media has got to be relentless (in UK).
I believe with RDLS JK and band image comes across more professional. And I really think it has worked. Whatever is in the personal life, is kept private, for him and the band.

Same thing for Eminem. I think Em gets lots of respect here.
Justin Beiber drag-racing? that's kinda interesting! :lol:

I don't think Michigan has the same ideals as California. Just a different perspective ;)
East coast vs. West coast!! :wink: we got thicker skin from this arctic f*cking sh*t!

but I'm posting here b/c I just loved the cabbies of London! 3 girls got in the cab, so I sat in front. The most memorable moments for me in my London trip was chatting with the cabbies, especially my trip back to the airport!! (he shook my hand when I left!) I love well-traveled people. I met many fabulous people that I will remember!
Giba7
Runaway

Postby joliefille on Wed Jan 29, 2014 11:09 pm

Yes LA is an odd place - it also different from other parts of Cali. Northern California is a lot different from LA - I find NorCal people lot more intellectual and down to earth. Also, the Orange County area - which is absolutely gorgeous - has a totally different vibe than LA. I really do not want to raise my daughter in LA.

Justin Beiber's alleged drag racing is an insult to Lamborghini - I mean Justin and his friend were doing about 30-60 mph tops - please; with a car like that have some fun before getting arrested. I've experienced what those cars can do - awwwh lovely; to drive them so slow - hahaha! on him - what a joke. A lot of guys (esp. here in LA) drive sick, very flashy cars just to get chicks. I quickly developed a rule - when guys hit on me while in or leaning against an really sick, amazing car - I keep on walking and ignore them.

AWWWWWWH Giba7 - I enjoy cabbies too - everywhere; I love hearing their stories etc. very interesting. When I first moved to NYC when I was a teen, they taught me a lot.

Back to the topic at hand - hahaha! - I think Jamiroquai could benefit from some quality press in the US. He has a pretty smart fan base. We can read something that is not a blog or 500 words max. :-)

I honestly do not know how you can stand the artic weather, LA has spoiled me so much - one great thing about LA is the sunny blue skies I can see right now, looking at trees with a greenery and some with white blossoms falling from my other tree (the closest thing to snow we will get - haha!) Bundle up!
joliefille
Supersonic

Postby joliefille on Wed Jan 29, 2014 11:18 pm

Btw - don't shoot me anybody - I am going to see ONE DIRECTION in Pasadena in Sept. My two nieces requested I chaperone them (you know my being the coolest aunt and all :-) hahahaha!

But you see - all the 1D press even gets me to spend my dough and time on a group that is far from my favorite.

Unfortunately, hype and press is important - why do PR folks, media relations folks exist? and don't ever f---- with their clients - PMK - the best out there (Kardashian's rep I believe and a ton of other celebs).

@Giba7 - sorry I was a bad, bad, bad girl last night at dinner Taco Tuesday (lol); far too much tequila which I do not even like and hit the sack when people had to go to work. But I am going to cleanse for my next trip. Drinking my liter of smartwater. Alcohol is really bad.
joliefille
Supersonic

Postby ElTouffoDrum on Thu Jan 30, 2014 10:27 am

joliefille wrote:Btw - don't shoot me anybody - I am going to see ONE DIRECTION in Pasadena in Sept. My two nieces requested I chaperone them (you know my being the coolest aunt and all :-) hahahaha!

ElTouffoDrum
Supersonic

Postby caroli on Thu Jan 30, 2014 5:38 pm

A friend my age is counting down to One Direction too...she is so excited it is almost hard to believe, she looks like me and Depeche Mode :lol:
caroli
Dynamite

Postby joliefille on Fri Feb 21, 2014 12:56 am

Hahahaha! :-) OMG I am dying laughing from the post above Caroli's. OMG just f--------- hilarious. T (sorry - cannot recall the username ending in drum and still no knowledge on how to quote.)

That pic expresses my sentiments exactly.

Yes - I am kind of (actually not "kind of" but TOTALLY) regretting my generosity and thoughtfulness because I am not sure how I am going to bear that concert. And no disrespect to 1D because they are doing their thing but yeah WTF was I thinking uuugggh. Perhaps I can find another adult to take my nieces but they want me.

Geez - nonSoCal folks - it is so nice to be back in LA 76 degrees and sunny. Was just in NY and London - I am so glad I live here. I used to hate LA when I first moved here but geez it is just lovely. At an outdoor cafe in West Hollywood and learned how to connect my Chrome book to my Iphone internet via Bluetooth. AND IT'S HAPPY HOUR. Bliss. (and I can catch up on this guilty pleasure ;-)

Damn I go away and people finally start posting here- hahaha! It is normally dead here.
joliefille
Supersonic

Postby ElTouffoDrum on Mon Mar 10, 2014 10:35 pm

Interesting article about Jamiroquai and the media. Does the band is under-ratted ?
http://www.theguardian.com/music/musicb ... mentpage=1
ElTouffoDrum
Supersonic

PreviousNext

Return to The Funktion Room - Jamiroquai Chat