Home
Jamiroquai

CAUGHT LIVE: JAMIROQUAI - 1 MARCH 07

General chat and meaningful discussion about Jamiroquai. News about Jamiroquai should be posted and discussed here.

CAUGHT LIVE: JAMIROQUAI - 1 MARCH 07

Postby samantha1170 on Thu Mar 01, 2007 7:30 am

Hi everyone, here's a Sun article that encorporates both the Gig in the Sky info and Jay's view on his recording career, as you can see it's a more truthful article than the Mirror one...

Caught Live: Jamiroquai
March 01, 2007

Cabin fever ... Jamiroquai perform a Gig in the Sky, 37,000ft in the air.

IT wasn't quite Supersonic - but Jamiroquai star JAY KAY took speeding to new heights with a record-breaking gig on Tuesday.

The mile-high feat on board a specially-fitted Boeing 757 saw Jay belt out six of his greatest hits at 37,000 feet en route from Munich to Athens.

Jay - who used to get high on drugs and last year recorded a greatest hits album called High Times - told us the gig was one of the most incredible experiences of his life.

The Gig in the Sky - sponsored by Sony Ericsson to celebrate the launch of their new Walkman W880i mobile phone - was a high point for the singer who has recently split with Sony BMG.

The original Space Cowboy was in reflective mood when he gave an exclusive interview to Bizarre at the after-party in Athens.

Among a string of surprising revelations, a chatty Jay admitted that:

* He wants to settle down and have children.

* He feels creatively and physically drained after years of touring.

* He had "creative differences" with Sony, which he felt had been cramping his original jazz-funk style.

The 37-year-old millionaire said he could now focus on new priorities since breaking with Sony, including doing "normal things" like shopping, going to the pub - and having kids.

"I am out of contract with Sony which is cool with me," he said. "They didn't want to release a single that I thought we should, so it's for the best.

"Having to release three-minute bloody singles all the time was starting to insult my intelligence. Or at least, the intelligence of my band and it's up to me to get it on the right path rather than just doing formulaic pop stuff. It became too much.

"I am a free agent which is a nice position to be in. There have been other offers, but there are so many things to consider.

"We'll investigate a new record label but for now we're busy rebuilding the studio at home."

Jay, who has sold 27 million albums since 1992, said he was ready to ditch his trademark fast-living lifestyle which over the years has included a 4g-a-week cocaine habit, public temper tantrums and a love of splurging on super-fast cars.

And he admitted he has been extra broody since his guitarist had a baby girl recently.

"I want to enjoy having a normal life, think about family and kids because what's the point of doing all this just for me?" said Jay, who split with his last steady girlfiriend - DENISE VAN OUTEN - in 2001.

"If I was a taxi my light would be off this year. I just want to be doing ordinary things, things I don't get to do like go to the pub or go shopping.

"When you have a number one album out, it's not conducive to wandering around doing your own thing. You're in the public eye, which can be difficult.

"I think it's taken a long, long time for me to slow down because it's such a high velocity lifestyle."

Proving he is still at the top of his game musically, earlier the singer and his band rocked 200 fans from around the world who had won tickets to the Gig in the Sky.

One fan even paid 900 Euros on eBay for the experience - but at the last minute was too ill to attend.

Jay gave a world-first performance of a new song Radio, from High Times, on a tiny stage which was rigged out with professional acoustic equipment and lighting.

Not even a bumpy patch of turbulence could dampen the crowd's spirits or knock Jay off his feet.

He said of the gig: "It was the weirdest thing I have ever done. I have been know to stand up and stagger around on planes but that is usually when I am inebriated en route to Santiago."

Guinness World Record adjudicator Craig Glenday - who was on hand to supervise the mile-high party - confirmed the gig was officially the highest and fastest on record.

Once the jet landed, Jay performed another feet-stomping set to an appreciative crowd at a gig at Athens Airport.

Source: The Sun

SAMANTHA
samantha1170

Postby Jameerica on Thu Mar 01, 2007 8:40 am

now how can we know that this one is true?
i'm not buying it till i knoe it's 100% true
Jameerica
Runaway

Location: Qarth, greatest city that ever was or ever will be.

Postby purplemonkeydishwasher on Thu Mar 01, 2007 9:06 am

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh that is the same with me.
purplemonkeydishwasher
Supersonic

Postby Sandriche on Thu Mar 01, 2007 3:06 pm

great things i am reading here!!!
thanks for posting sam!

"They didn't want to release a single that I thought we should, so it's for the best.

a single we don´t know yet??

"We'll investigate a new record label but for now we're busy rebuilding the studio at home."

interesting!

----

one fan even paid 900 Euros on eBay for the experience - but at the last minute was too ill to attend.

i feel so sorry for this person :cry:
Sandriche

Postby Jameerica on Thu Mar 01, 2007 4:47 pm

Sandriche wrote:
"They didn't want to release a single that I thought we should, so it's for the best.

a single we don´t know yet??

nope i'd say it's radio
Jameerica
Runaway

Location: Qarth, greatest city that ever was or ever will be.

Postby ivy on Thu Mar 01, 2007 5:26 pm

Sandriche wrote:

one fan even paid 900 Euros on eBay for the experience - but at the last minute was too ill to attend.

i feel so sorry for this person :cry:

I'm sure the fan regrets it now!!! just seeing the pics would make me :x angry at myself

but maybe he/she didn't want to spread their germs..if so than thats very thoughtful of her/him..

you know how you're on a plane and you find out the person sitting next you is sick because they're coughing and sneezing all over the place...

it would have been the same situation but worse on a Jamiroquai plane... :idea:

or maybe it was a worse kinda ill...getting way of topic i know!!

on jay taking a break.... it think it is definately well deserved ..how anyone can stay in that type of business for that long baffles me ..it looks very energy drainging.., hard work but I guess the benefits of it outweigh everything elze huh?

well anyway thanks for all the news reviews et cetera, et cetera :)
ivy
Space Cowboy

I thought he was quiting for a while....

Postby mirogirl90 on Thu Mar 01, 2007 6:34 pm

I am seeing him perform on a plane for people!! I am confused about this !! is he quiting 4 a while or what???? :?: :shock: :) :o :(
mirogirl90
Supersonic

Postby Sandriche on Thu Mar 01, 2007 9:26 pm

ähhm read through the news carefully :D
Sandriche

Re: I thought he was quiting for a while....

Postby dargelita on Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:20 am

mirogirl90 wrote:I am seeing him perform on a plane for people!! I am confused about this !! is he quiting 4 a while or what???? :?: :shock: :) :o :(

no he's not .
dargelita
Runaway

Return to The Funktion Room - Jamiroquai Chat