Home
Jamiroquai

Original Buffalo Man Logo from Russia with Love )))

General chat and meaningful discussion about Jamiroquai. News about Jamiroquai should be posted and discussed here.

Postby Jamisther on Sat Jan 20, 2007 6:51 am

why not! you transmet your values, your culture to your children... if i 'll get the chance to have children,they will listen to Jamiroquai :lol: because i love the music of this band....i mean...i don't want them to listen the whole day Jay and his musicians ('cause that's what i do (:P )), but just because it's takes an important place in my life ( and in my heart :roll: )...
you speak about your passions etc...with your children...
According to me, Jamiroquai will be remembered by our kid's generation...but will they like this music as we like it so much?
Jamisther
Supersonic

Postby galaxyfunk on Sat Jan 20, 2007 8:51 am

yeah.. my nephew actually asked me if they would still be around when he was older and I said.. of course! :lol: but then had to admit, well, maybe not... :( but, its up to us to educate the kids!

When we were watching the high times dvd together, the only thing I did think of was the connection to drugs... I actually made sure he didnt see the interview about the space cowboy vid as he thinks Jay is cool/maybe even a bit of a role model... but at 7, its difficult to explain the whole thing about drugs, recovery from drugs, weed not being quite as bad as other drugs etc. etc.
galaxyfunk
Supersonic

Postby Jameerica on Sat Jan 20, 2007 10:53 am

yes but i think he should know it when he's a bit older.it's bad to hide kids away from something like drugs or sex,cuz the less they know the more they want it.
Jameerica
Runaway

Location: Qarth, greatest city that ever was or ever will be.

Postby samantha1170 on Sat Jan 20, 2007 12:17 pm

I can understand how Galaxyfunk feels - I've also got a 7yo son, and even though you educate them about the perils of drugs etc. there's also a difference between people speaking about how bad drugs are and people speaking about how drug use is the best thing.

Jay has never hidden the fact that he loves smoking pot and how great he thinks it is - that's his life and good for him that he gets a kick out of it but we still as lovely parents have to be aware of what is a good and bad influence on our kids. I totally agree with you that we shouldn't shield kids from drugs/drink etc., but we also need to be a responsible parent to know what is right and what is wrong to show them, so I feel the same way as Galaxyfunk - there are some things that 7yo should see and there are some things that they are just to young to see :)

SAMANTHA
samantha1170

Postby Jameerica on Sat Jan 20, 2007 4:20 pm

of course.
Jameerica
Runaway

Postby (cleopatra) on Sat Jan 20, 2007 6:29 pm

well said Samantha... the only thing I disagree with is about the weed. It affects you after a while. I'm sure JK likes it... But for some people, it just affects you in the wrong way.

Some people can smoke weed almost everyday and be fine. But other people develop schizophrenia \ psychosis because of it.

If Jay Kay wants to smoke it... great... but i think its wrong for him to promote it - especially because there are many people who look up to him as an idol, inspiration or icon.

Weed is not a heavy drug... but like alcohol... it can really mess u up.
(cleopatra)
Mr Moon

Postby Jameerica on Sat Jan 20, 2007 6:34 pm

yes and i think it affects him too,but i think he doesn't want to admit it.and i'm very sorry cos of that. :? :(
Jameerica
Runaway

Postby (cleopatra) on Sat Jan 20, 2007 6:39 pm

I'm pretty sure it does Jameerica... but he's a tortured artist. and that type just abused stuff like weed. its like a tradition. nothing u can do about it. just how they are. besides if he dint smoke weed he wouldnt be able to make songs like Talulah.
(cleopatra)
Mr Moon

Postby Jameerica on Sat Jan 20, 2007 7:04 pm

i doubt that.i think he would do just fine without it if only he wanted to admit that it ain't the weed that does the job,but his own head.
Jameerica
Runaway

Postby galaxyfunk on Sun Jan 21, 2007 4:10 am

Yep, I agree that kids/young adults need to be educated on certain issues, it would be wrong to have unspoken topics as I think the more 'underground' something appears to kids, the more tempting it is!

I also agree with samantha, 7 is too young :) they dont have the capacity to see the bigger picture at that age. They all grow up far too fast nowadays as it is (well they seem to in England anyway) let them be kids I say!

I think with how drugs are in society these days (again, speaking about the UK) I think along with picking the right time/age to speak to them about different things... its about watching for any signs to suggest they are getting involved in stuff...

If I have kids, and saw the signs, I would want them to know my experiences and would try and educate them by letting them see I understand the attraction but telling them about my mates or situations which they would not have experienced at that point. Trying to make them see the 2 sides of the story...

I also wonder in some cases if its unrealistic to expect them not to try drugs and its more about teaching them how to do it safely?... Of course, this is a fine line between, in their eyes, condoning it and agreeing with it...So you would have to use some clever wording! I just know though, I would rather my kid feel they could ring me for my help if they got into trouble / taken too much

Over weed, strange one this as I agree it can be an addictive, unmotivating and depending on who is smoking it, even dangerous drug (as mentioned, mental illness etc) but then on the other hand, there are loads of people who have a joint like some have a drink... and they manage to have good jobs, nice homes etc. .

Suppose it wold be worth looking at the people who live in Amsterdam (not the drop outs who move there just to take advantage of the lifestyle :lol:) their actual society and generations who have lived with weed as part of their culture... Ive never looked into it, but it would be interesting to see what school results were like over there and if they have things like ASBOs!
galaxyfunk
Supersonic

Postby purplemonkeydishwasher on Sun Jan 21, 2007 4:17 am

Is 12 too young?
purplemonkeydishwasher
Supersonic

Postby galaxyfunk on Sun Jan 21, 2007 4:39 am

suppose it depends on what kind of child they are... some at 12 seem very clued up... but then, you do have to remember that no matter how grown up then come across, they are still just 12!

I dunno, I think it depends what their school is like.. other pupils/influences around them, environment, what are they allowed to watch on tv... So the question then becomes do they NEED to be spoken too at 12? I go back to my point of trying to be observant of behaviour..

Again fine line cause you dont want to put ideas there... but I also think, chances are, they will find themselves in a position where drugs are a temptation, for whatever reason..

I think if I had a 12 yr old, I would think of some clever questions to ask them around the subject and again, try and judge their reaction as to how much they already know, hiding anything etc. once you get a feeling at where they are at with things... it then allows you to decide what needs to happen next...(hopefully, nothing at that age :))

Its a tough one im sure :)
galaxyfunk
Supersonic

Postby purplemonkeydishwasher on Sun Jan 21, 2007 8:03 am

Yeah. I like the way you put that.
purplemonkeydishwasher
Supersonic

Postby galaxyfunk on Sun Jan 21, 2007 8:07 am

:) easier saying than doing im sure... but yeah, I do think its the way I would deal with it
galaxyfunk
Supersonic

Postby purplemonkeydishwasher on Sun Jan 21, 2007 8:14 am

Yeah. :)
purplemonkeydishwasher
Supersonic

Postby Jameerica on Sun Jan 21, 2007 2:03 pm

purplemonkeydishwasher wrote:Is 12 too young?

no.i remember when i was twelve....haha!
i knew bout jmq then and about the dope smoking and everything,and strangely,that turned me of the most-that jay was doing it(tho i had a crush on him lol)
Jameerica
Runaway

Postby purplemonkeydishwasher on Mon Jan 22, 2007 1:25 am

galaxyfunk wrote:suppose it depends on what kind of child they are... some at 12 seem very clued up... but then, you do have to remember that no matter how grown up then come across, they are still just 12!

I dunno, I think it depends what their school is like.. other pupils/influences around them, environment, what are they allowed to watch on tv... So the question then becomes do they NEED to be spoken too at 12? I go back to my point of trying to be observant of behaviour..

Again fine line cause you dont want to put ideas there... but I also think, chances are, they will find themselves in a position where drugs are a temptation, for whatever reason..

I think if I had a 12 yr old, I would think of some clever questions to ask them around the subject and again, try and judge their reaction as to how much they already know, hiding anything etc. once you get a feeling at where they are at with things... it then allows you to decide what needs to happen next...(hopefully, nothing at that age :))

Its a tough one im sure :)

YOU THINK I HAVE A 12 YEAR OLD!!?? :shock: :lol: :o
IM 12!!!!! :lol: :D :)
purplemonkeydishwasher
Supersonic

Postby purplemonkeydishwasher on Mon Jan 22, 2007 1:26 am

jameerica wrote:

i knew bout jmq then and about the dope smoking and everything,and strangely,that turned me of the most-that jay was doing it(tho i had a crush on him lol)

Thats funny!!!! :lol:
purplemonkeydishwasher
Supersonic

Postby djodjo on Mon Jan 22, 2007 10:59 am

samantha1170 wrote:I can understand how Galaxyfunk feels - I've also got a 7yo son, and even though you educate them about the perils of drugs etc. there's also a difference between people speaking about how bad drugs are and people speaking about how drug use is the best thing.

Jay has never hidden the fact that he loves smoking pot and how great he thinks it is - that's his life and good for him that he gets a kick out of it but we still as lovely parents have to be aware of what is a good and bad influence on our kids. I totally agree with you that we shouldn't shield kids from drugs/drink etc., but we also need to be a responsible parent to know what is right and what is wrong to show them, so I feel the same way as Galaxyfunk - there are some things that 7yo should see and there are some things that they are just to young to see :)

SAMANTHA

Yes. My daughters can't understand the lyrics yet (they are 4 years old, and Hungarian, and toooooooooooooooo young), but they see the smiling people on dvds, or the steps of Jay and listening the music and like them. 8)
djodjo
Supersonic

Postby Jameerica on Mon Jan 22, 2007 2:25 pm

purplemonkeydishwasher wrote:
jameerica wrote:

Thats funny!!!! :lol:

i know. 8)
Jameerica
Runaway

Postby purplemonkeydishwasher on Mon Jan 22, 2007 10:39 pm

It is funny! :lol: 8)
purplemonkeydishwasher
Supersonic

Previous

Return to The Funktion Room - Jamiroquai Chat