Home
Jamiroquai

Jamiroquai's One-Year-Break

General chat and meaningful discussion about Jamiroquai. News about Jamiroquai should be posted and discussed here.

Jamiroquai's One-Year-Break

Postby euges on Sun Nov 12, 2006 11:49 pm

Jay Kay, frontman and lead vocalist for acid jazz outfit Jamiroquai, has decided to call it quits for a year. The band's greatest hits compilation, High Times: Singles 1992-2006 hit shelves yesterday, effectively ending the eight-album contract that the band had with Sony. Jay has taken this move as an opportunity to take a year off and end that part of his career.

Jay is reported as saying, "I like the sense of closure that the greatest hits album has to it. I've closed this chapter of my career at the right time and it's great. I'm ready to move on and see what comes next - a year off, that's the plan."

Hopefully, the year off will afford the frontman the ability to regain the creativity that has been somewhat lacking in the last two or three years. The magic of songs like "Travelling Without Moving" was slowly replaced by more unfortunate clichéd songs like "(Don't) Give Hate a Chance," from 2005's Dynamite and, more recently, Runaway, one of the two original tracks on the High Times compilation. Of course, that isn't to say they aren't good songs - they just don't show the quality of his earlier work, and as such, news like this has drawn little criticism.

Coldplay, now Jamiroquai - who will be the next mainstream British band to take a break from the scene?
euges
Supersonic

Postby euges on Sun Nov 12, 2006 11:52 pm

(KP International) – Jay Kay, frontman for the English acid-jazz-ish group Jamiroquai, is planning to take a year-long hiatus from music. He reportedly said the group's Greatest Hits album was a milestone giving him closure. Now he can take a break before returning to the roots of what Jamiroquai started out doing.

"On the first album we had flugelhorn solos," the Virtual Insanity singer said. "I know we probably overdid it, but it was fun, it was good, it was creative. I want to get back to making music like that. I like the sense of closure that the greatest hits album has to it. I've closed this chapter of my career at the right time and it's great. I'm ready to move on and see what comes next - a year off, that's the plan."
euges
Supersonic

Postby miss. stillness in time on Mon Nov 13, 2006 9:51 am

yes, he needs a break and a visit to australia... to drive across the country and see the reflection of the sun on the desert... back into the stillness in time... ! hehe :)
miss. stillness in time

Postby Black_Crow_88 on Mon Nov 13, 2006 12:53 pm

1 year stop... this is quite sad.. however I'm sure that it will be useful for Jamiroquai's soul and mind.. :)
We'll wait for new great tunes: 6-7 minutes long, flutes, didjeridoo... :shock: Am I asking too much?? .mm I think yes :)
Black_Crow_88
Mr Moon

Postby mr.aZ on Mon Nov 13, 2006 1:05 pm

good luck jay
i've taken two years for my own life and now im thinkin in start all again...so i understand what jay wants to do
all we need a break sometimes :D
mr.aZ
Dynamite

Location: mendoza, this corner of argentina is like me in many ways

Postby duki on Mon Nov 13, 2006 1:21 pm

I think that these are great news for Jay. The deal with Sony drained every atom of strength and creativity from him and it is wonderful that he decided to do this. He is off for a well deserved rest. Enjoy your time off, Jay, wish you all the best, and regain your strength and creativity and come back with and awesome album, the album you always wanted to make! :D
duki
Space Cowboy

Postby samantha1170 on Mon Nov 13, 2006 10:13 pm

All of these quotes are taken from the Mail on Sunday interview last week - it doesn't mean he's QUITTING, it just means they're taking time off - which they deserves in my opinion as they've all worked hard to get to the end of the contract and need some time out - so don't worry everyone, they'll be back, they're just having some well earned time off :) :) :)

SAMANTHA
samantha1170

Postby euges on Mon Nov 13, 2006 10:24 pm

Yes, the paper's headlines use to be very alarming, you know, they have to sell.
But the articles themselves explain it's just a break to re-charge batteries, which is certainly good, no reason to freak out.

There's really nothing to worry about, on the contrary, this will be an interesting period, and we'll wait for the next Jamiroquai material, which will be surely good. So, no rush.
euges
Supersonic

Postby Black_Crow_88 on Tue Nov 14, 2006 3:45 pm

Today during the performance at BBC Radio 2, Jay said that the band is gonna stop for a while just to recharge and try to change something in their music. And finally he said that the tour will start at leat on february 2008, and they will try to bring to it brass and strings!!!
That'a a great news!
Black_Crow_88
Mr Moon

Postby Sandriche on Tue Nov 14, 2006 3:56 pm

just heard it too!!!

great performance funny interview and yes ...FANTASTIC NEWS :D

2008..it´s not that long :wink:
Sandriche

Postby Jameerica on Tue Nov 14, 2006 4:23 pm

Black_Crow_88 wrote:1 year stop... this is quite sad.. however I'm sure that it will be useful for Jamiroquai's soul and mind.. :)
We'll wait for new great tunes: 6-7 minutes long, flutes, didjeridoo... :shock: Am I asking too much?? .mm I think yes :)

no...i'd love to hear those again....
Jameerica
Runaway

Location: Qarth, greatest city that ever was or ever will be.

Postby PocketFullOfRainbows on Tue Nov 14, 2006 7:53 pm

Black_Crow_88 wrote:Today during the performance at BBC Radio 2, Jay said that the band is gonna stop for a while just to recharge and try to change something in their music. And finally he said that the tour will start at leat on february 2008, and they will try to bring to it brass and strings!!!
That'a a great news!

:D
Last edited by PocketFullOfRainbows on Tue Nov 14, 2006 8:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PocketFullOfRainbows
Mr Moon

Postby Sugar_Plum_fairy on Tue Nov 14, 2006 8:16 pm

I hope he does another tour!! :wink:
Sugar_Plum_fairy

Postby ivy on Tue Nov 14, 2006 10:32 pm

take the break!!!!! don't over exhaust put some pep in you step :wink: ok no actually, a big bounce would be better peazeee 8)
ivy
Space Cowboy

Postby BEGGERZ on Wed Nov 15, 2006 9:32 am

Yes, he does deserve a break...but wouldn't it be a nice surprise if he launched a brand new album the day he returned :P lol
BEGGERZ
Supersonic

Postby (cleopatra) on Tue Jan 09, 2007 10:17 pm

So it's been about a year now . . . Can we expect some new Jam?! I really hope so. I totally agree, flutes, didjeridoo all that stuff from the past - that was the best music they ever made.

We wanna hear more of that !

I am so glad to read that JK is planning on going back to the start. I think the Sony contract forced him to go more and more electric, and more mainstream.

Here's to seeing JK on a massive WORLD TOUR really soon! :D
(cleopatra)
Mr Moon

Re: Jamiroquai's One-Year-Break

Postby galaxyfunk on Sat Jan 13, 2007 12:13 pm

euges wrote:
    Jay Kay, frontman and lead vocalist for acid jazz outfit Jamiroquai, has decided to call it quits for a year. The band's greatest hits compilation, High Times: Singles 1992-2006 hit shelves yesterday, effectively ending the eight-album contract that the band had with Sony. Jay has taken this move as an opportunity to take a year off and end that part of his career.

Jay is reported as saying, "I like the sense of closure that the greatest hits album has to it. I've closed this chapter of my career at the right time and it's great. I'm ready to move on and see what comes next - a year off, that's the plan."

Hopefully, the year off will afford the frontman the ability to regain the creativity that has been somewhat lacking in the last two or three years. The magic of songs like "Travelling Without Moving" was slowly replaced by more unfortunate clichéd songs like "(Don't) Give Hate a Chance," from 2005's Dynamite and, more recently, Runaway, one of the two original tracks on the High Times compilation. Of course, that isn't to say they aren't good songs - they just don't show the quality of his earlier work, and as such, news like this has drawn little criticism.

Coldplay, now Jamiroquai - who will be the next mainstream British band to take a break from the scene?

Well ive only been back on this site an hour and here I am kicking off already... :lol: 'Regain the creativity that has been lacking in the last two or three years' ?? wtf kind of comment is that?

How dare they say it... Of course it would be nice to hear some horns n that again.. but lack of creativity?? thats a bit strong to say the least... Its called moving with the times. Theres a place for both styles of music *sigh* I get so sick of hearing about the horns!! :lol:
galaxyfunk
Supersonic

Postby Jameerica on Sat Jan 13, 2007 12:29 pm

i want horns(not on my head,in the music!)back!i loved those!the horns were a big part of why i started listening to jmq(i luuuv horns)and in the new stuff...well uhmm,there aren't any!
Jameerica
Runaway

Postby galaxyfunk on Sat Jan 13, 2007 1:20 pm

:lol: I quite fancy a horn hat... :lol:

Yeah, and I like the horns too... but their music is great with or without horns. As I said, 2 different styles of the same music (one more 'organic' than the other) But some people, all they go on about is getting the horns back.. when in fact, their music has been fab across the years!

Each to their own n all that :) I just love it all... horny or not ;)

:lol:
galaxyfunk
Supersonic

Postby Jameerica on Sat Jan 13, 2007 1:42 pm

hhaa horny music...wonder how that looks!
Jameerica
Runaway

Postby ivy on Sat Jan 13, 2007 10:36 pm

galaxyfunk wrote::lol: I quite fancy a horn hat... :lol:

Yeah, and I like the horns too... but their music is great with or without horns. As I said, 2 different styles of the same music (one more 'organic' than the other) But some people, all they go on about is getting the horns back.. when in fact, their music has been fab across the years!

Each to their own n all that :) I just love it all... horny or not ;)

:lol:

agree with you to an extent!! esp live it still sounds good to me ex. shoot the moon, even travelling without moving..its just a different take variation das why i love em
ivy
Space Cowboy

Return to The Funktion Room - Jamiroquai Chat