Home
Jamiroquai

Ten years of Travelling Without Moving!

General chat and meaningful discussion about Jamiroquai. News about Jamiroquai should be posted and discussed here.

Ten years of Travelling Without Moving!

Postby FunkEducation on Sat Sep 09, 2006 12:47 am

Happy Birthday Travelling Without Moving!!!
Ten Years!!!

Travelling Without Moving is the third album by Jamiroquai. Released in 1996, this album features the international hit single "Virtual Insanity". The album also has a more diverse sound than previous albums, with more instrumental tracks, and a greater electronic influence, evident in songs such as "Alright", which mixed new synthetic sounds with shades of acid-jazz. Around this time Jay Kay's love of sportscars reached a peak, as reflected by the Ferrari-esque logo adorning the album cover and engine noises on the title track. This led some to accuse him of selling out on the environmentalist message of his previous albums. The title track "Travelling without Moving" appropriately introduces a new high-octane sound which features strongly in later albums. This is also the last album with bassist Stuart Zender. Wikipedia

Sales

The global sales of Travelling Without Moving are estimated to about 7 million units sold (According to the Guinness World Record database), which make it the best selling funk album of all time. It is supposed that the large number of sold copies was partly influenced by the success of the Virtual Insanity music video, which won 4 Grammies.

Reviews:

Amazon.com
Adding pop savvy to their soul-disco mix, Jamiroquai grabbed the attention of MTV and Top 40 radio and won a Grammy with this platinum-selling album, their third. It's a fine record, with warm keyboards, sweet strings, and irrepressible grooves grounding Jay Kay's sublime vocals and fueling the hits ("Virtual Insanity," "Cosmic Girl," the title track). That voice--elastic, jazzy--is the fire of the band, but immaculate guitar sounds, snappy backup vocals, and clever old-school soul samples (Eddie Harris on "Alright," Esther Phillips on "High Times") are the details that create perfection. Balancing the dance-ready, radio-friendly tracks are the ballads "Everyday" and "Spend a Lifetime," the reggae-styled "Drifting Along," and a couple of didjeridoo instrumentals. --Suzanne McElfresh

Barnes & Noble
With their second album, Travelling Without Moving, Jamiroquai confirm their place as one of the most distinctive ensembles in pop music. An innovative band that's also unabashedly derivative, this British bomb squad incorporates the stylings of such masters as Stevie Wonder, Peter Frampton, Herbie Hancock, and Jimmy Cliff into its own idiosyncratic grooves. Thus, this trippy, modern disc is a hodgepodge of everything cool from dance music's golden ages. Deee-Lite succeeded in a similar quest for a while, but Jamiroquai give themes of hedonism, love, drugs, and immortality a sonic substance that's as inspiring as Earth, Wind and Fire's strong and singular sound. In typical fashion, the hectic title track leaps and hustles, taking off from an intense Booker T. and the MG's-type groove. The "Sir Duke"-esque "Virtual Insanity," house-y "Cosmic Girl," and late-'70s-Curtis-Mayfield-inducing "Alright" are the obvious hits of the record, though the crew's eclectic sensibilities are showcased on the instrumental tracks "Didjerama" and "Digital Vibrations." Led by Jay Kay's fluid vocals, Jamiroquai triumph in bringing a live feel to an album that, both impressionistic and forward-looking, personifies the postmodern pastiche. Martine Bury

Editorial reviews
...TRAVELLING is essentially about the metaphysics of having a good time....Jamiroquai have a thousand musical tricks up their sleeves; edgy horns laced with jazz intricacies, energetic bass lines and disco rhythms...
The Source (02/01/1997)

4 Stars (out of 5) - ...Tighter and more compact in its production that the epic funk arrangements of...THE RETURN OF THE SPACE COWBOY....no-one with ears can deny Jason Kay's musicality--he's an extraordinary singer, and proves it here...
Q (10/01/1996)

Personal comments:
For me this album is just an inspiration for everything! and i think it's an album most musicians must listen before they go to a studio! It's a jazzy album, full of funky good vibes and feelings, i really got this album in my heart, because i can't be two days without listening to it!

The best Jamiroquai lineup ever known! what else? the best tour, the best musicians, the best style, the best grooves! I really miss the quality of this album in the new (if i can call it like that) band lineup... So, Happy Birthday Travelling Without Moving! in ten years i'll be here again celebrating this again! but at that time this album will be more classic than it is now!

Sources:
http://www.guinnessworldrecords.com/con ... rdid=54242
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Travelling_without_Moving
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jamiroquai

FunkEducation

Postby Sandriche on Sat Sep 09, 2006 3:12 am

THANKS ED!

for me it was the album i liked most at the beginning..it´s still one of my favourites...virtual insanity is just one of THE songs..not to mentione the video of it!
cosmic girl..i listened to it soooooo often...it´s just a cosmic song!
use the force..never listened to it a lot..until i have heard it live..since this i love the power of the song..i like the message, sometimes when i think ..i want to give up that words come up to my mind.."USE THE FORCE"..
the same with high times and especially travelling without moving...twm is an amazing song..i just love the bass line and the tension it itself..the middle part gives that "and now u are freeeeee" feeling..( i don´t know how to express it in another way ,hope u know what i mean"..

this album shows the different styles jamiroquai made..from jazz,funk tover reggea ..it has instrumental song on it..love song songs about real problems in this world...

it is just great it is ALRIGHT 8)
Sandriche

Postby David on Sat Sep 09, 2006 5:28 am

Cool. Lovely post. I just looked at the On This Day In History at funkin and it also remembered!

* Jamiroquai's third album, Travelling Without Moving, was released in the UK today in 1996. In 2001, A Funk Odyssey entered the UK album chart at number 1.

TWM is an excellent album, and I just wish I'd seen the band at the Royal Albert Hall during that tour. We saw them at a few other london gigs, but not the Albert Hall.

Hmn, maybe I'll get TWM out later and have a listen. :D
David
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Gilberquai on Sat Sep 09, 2006 3:26 pm

wow travellig without moving, the best album of the 90 ' s
Gilberquai
Mr Moon

Postby KillingHeidi on Sun Sep 10, 2006 12:06 am

best jamiroquai album ever.
nuff said.
KillingHeidi
Space Cowboy

:)

Postby sweetiemeli on Fri Sep 15, 2006 7:54 am

I totally agree, travelling without moving its such a fantastic album,one of my favourites. 8)
sweetiemeli
Supersonic

Postby Jamirobeto on Mon Sep 18, 2006 1:49 am

those pics!

those were the high times!
Jamirobeto

Postby kenitafunk on Mon Sep 18, 2006 3:09 am

with this album i met and started to love jamiroquai :D it have a very special place in my heart
kenitafunk
Supersonic

Postby mr.aZ on Mon Sep 18, 2006 6:18 pm

kenitafunk wrote:with this album i met and started to love jamiroquai :D it have a very special place in my heart

totally agree with u :wink:
mr.aZ
Dynamite

Location: mendoza, this corner of argentina is like me in many ways

Postby FunkEducation on Tue Sep 19, 2006 7:48 pm

i'm so glad that's the album most people loves!
FunkEducation

TEN YEARS!

Postby Frankie Diva on Sun Oct 01, 2006 4:19 am

I can't believe it's been that long. Then again, it has almost been 10 years since I graduated from graduate school. That CD got me through many long nights. And Dynamite is getting me through my doctoral program. Where would I be without Jamiroquai?! Congrats guys!!! :lol:
Frankie Diva

Postby punkyjess on Mon Oct 02, 2006 2:05 pm

This album is amazing! Thats it really! 8)
punkyjess

Postby ronbeat on Wed Oct 04, 2006 1:31 am

hats off to TWM.
ronbeat
Supersonic

well hi there

Postby SpaceCowboyPal on Fri Oct 06, 2006 9:30 am

U know, I'm 20. Was born in 1986. Travelling without movin' was released in 1996. My first jamsong was SPACE COWBOY but by that time, I didn't know who it was..in 1996 I heard Cosmic Girl, Virtual Insanity...AND, since 1996, when I was 10 years old, I've been listening to JAM. Well honestly, all of his albums ARE the best, but this is the album that got me acquainted with JAM....

Thanxxxx JAM
SpaceCowboyPal

Return to The Funktion Room - Jamiroquai Chat