Home
Jamiroquai

UK Magic festival @ Stoke Park

General chat and meaningful discussion about Jamiroquai. News about Jamiroquai should be posted and discussed here.

UK Magic festival @ Stoke Park

Postby Giba7 on Tue Jun 04, 2013 4:11 pm

Is there a page open for this? Not sure it's too dark in here. :P

Who's going?
Giba7
Runaway

Re: UK Magic festival @ Stoke Park

Postby Funky_Bolly on Wed Jul 10, 2013 7:43 pm

YES MRs Funky and me will be there espcially at the Chic gig then on to some very serious funking to Jamiroquai I just cant bloody wait ! ps keep an eye out for a middle aged bloke n a lovely curvy blonde ok .
Funky_Bolly

Postby Jam Fan (Natalie) on Mon Jul 15, 2013 8:59 pm

Wow, it's quiet here! I thought there would be a few pics and reviews by now...unless I'm just looking in the wrong place...
Anyway, despite the unbearable heat, I had an amazing day!

OK, so the setlist was as follows:
Alright
Use The Force
High Times
Virtual Insanity
Little L
Canned Heat
Rock Dust Light Star
When You Gonna Learn
You Give Me Something
Runaway
Travelling Without Moving
Cosmic Girl
Love Foolosophy
Deeper Underground
White Knuckle Ride

And some pictures from the show...

Jam Fan (Natalie)
Dynamite

Postby Giba7 on Tue Jul 16, 2013 12:51 am

Natalie I can't believe how fabulous your pics are! :shock: Were you up front?
My pics didn't come out :(
As for the heat -I think I melted in the daytime and had to pace myself regarding liquor and sun.
But just as Jamiroquai were coming out it was cooling.

The best part was meeting new people from all over the world.
At the concert I met a fantastic English couple (Vicky & Alex), some Spanish and Italian fans, a guy from Glasgow, and a group had traveled all the way from Colombia! Amazing!
@Caroli -I waited all day holding my 2nd row spot but hoping to squeeze to front between Meike and Janluca (it was his 37th show :shock: ), but no luck. pfft. I'm lucky to have seen one show! :lol:
The band and Jay's singing were fantastic, but my favorite part was watching Jay's dance/acrobatic moves up close -they are so amazing!
Oh, and while we were eating breakfast Saturday morning we discovered the band was staying at our hotel because Rob came up to say "hi"! Very sweet! (no Jay)

The second best part of the show was Chic. Nile Rogers was fantastic and I really enjoyed the Disco/Motown groove!
Also Beverly Knight and Joss Stone were both beautiful and awesome singers! Even that Ocean band was good -had some rhythms like the Beatles.
But when it all ended, we couldn't get a taxi and walked 3 miles -got back at 1:30 am. :lol:

The one thing I regret is missing Miss Gwen Dickey.
Giba7
Runaway

Postby Jam Fan (Natalie) on Tue Jul 16, 2013 8:46 am

I probably saw you at some point then Giba, I was 3 spots to the right of Janluka! I wonder if you are in any of the pictures I took of the crowd during the show...
We bumped into Derrick while Chic were playing, and Paul came out for a quick chat after the show. Two of the nicest guys you'll ever meet :D
I recorded a few bits and pieces, plus the whole of TWM, but they are practically unwatchable seeing as I refused to stop dancing and my camera was waving around all over the place!

Almost forgot... I (100% not deliberate I swear) got this shot of Jay's sweaty ass. Ooops, sorry Jay!
:wink:

Jam Fan (Natalie)
Dynamite

Postby caroli on Tue Jul 16, 2013 4:09 pm

I couldn't stop thinking about this small detail: great bands, often older bands with greater experience, always put on a bigger show.. those scenes back there from videoclips, and those hanging planets tell me Jamiroquai are already one of those bands.. I just survived a 3 day festival and the only band who managed that was Depeche Mode (though I must say their background was much more impressive.. there were giant triangles playing all kind of images of the band from different angles and giant naked women and dogs and scenes from Heaven!)

Either way I really believe it is a thing to be proud of, that our Jamiroquai are free and big enough to put their own show even though it is a festival!

And I'm really glad the jamily was together once again. I never got the chance to meet any of you but that moment is yet to come! :mrgreen:
caroli
Dynamite

Postby Giba7 on Tue Jul 16, 2013 5:39 pm

Oh Natalie you were that close? and haha! Nice pic! It was hot!
I was using Janluka and Meike as reference point!! Not sure if they even knew me or what I was saying! :lol: :lol:
But I have the audio from Janluka from the concert! Bless him! Great quality from an Iphone!

I also took one video of Little L and will have to check out quality and maybe download to Youtube. My own video :)
Yes I saw Paul pass through the VIP section once, and I heard some of the family and kids from the band were there too.

@Natalie -And a funny story, did you hear that English chick? She'd pushed her way to the front, and was making a scene cussing.
Well it turns out she was fighting with her husband because she wanted Jay and was going to storm the stage!
:lol:

@Caroli -your retro concert sounded great too! They'll be here August 22nd.
I'm glad Jamiroquai are still young and making music -new album coming out soon!
Just sure hope this one makes it to the states because I can't afford too many trips to Europe.
Giba7
Runaway

Postby Jam Fan (Natalie) on Tue Jul 16, 2013 8:45 pm

I got lucky Giba...we kept popping down to the front, then heading off again to get food and drinks and chat to some of the Jamily at the back so we didn't try and hold our places. We finally decided to stick it out in the heat near the front just after Chic finished. We got 2nd row easily, then later a space in front row became free so Janluka told me to get in there quick! After that I didn't dare move haha!

I gave up trying to record anything after a while. Videos don't turn out too great when you refuse to stop dancing! I watched back about 30 seconds of one and it just made me feel dizzy :lol:
I listened to the audio earlier today, I can't believe it sounds so good from an iphone!
Jam Fan (Natalie)
Dynamite

Postby caroli on Wed Jul 17, 2013 12:36 pm

I really think an iPhone is a must to any concert. Everyone around me had one and their videos and photos were looking much better than mine :lol: it seemed like their light was better...
caroli
Dynamite

Postby Giba7 on Thu Jul 18, 2013 2:16 am

Here is my one video I captured at the Magic Festival: "Little L"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JdNW4lt6pJU
Giba7
Runaway

Postby Funky_Bolly on Thu Jul 18, 2013 9:18 pm

What a fantastic time we had being on our feet all day enjoying especially CHIC ( and the very wrong side of 40 very nearly 50 me n just ova 50 Mrs funky )the aches n pains were bearable when Jamiroquai started and WOW WHAT A SHOW ! I MEAN WHAT A SHOW ! and what a choice of songs I never expected "run a way "and You give me something " But thats Jays talent, and the band FANTASTIC ! Magic Summertime Live deserve special praise for hosting a fantasic ,brilliant and very pleasant veniew top job folks ! Fingers crossed for a new album n tour next year what a brilliant way to celebrate my big 50 in the UK and most probably Italy see Jamiroquai again .One final note ,YES Iphones rule when it comes to videos and photos we got some great vids n piccies as memories of a brilliant day .
Funky_Bolly

Postby Jam Fan (Natalie) on Fri Jul 19, 2013 11:22 pm

This is the only video I got on my phone...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2uV8EhEosNo&feature=youtu.be

I don't think there is anything worth watching from my camera!
Jam Fan (Natalie)
Dynamite

Postby Giba7 on Tue Jul 23, 2013 2:55 am

Natalie -you've got some of Canned Heat which is a great song!

I also remembered Beverly Knight had a fabulous performance! She sang backup for Jamiroquai's A Funk Odyssey.
I loved "Mama used to say"!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vbwzIRdJ7nQ (Jool's Holland)

but the funny thing, the song "Mama used to say" I hear another song that has a similar chorus :shock:
Jane Child's "I don't want to fall in love" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zWd__w5UWVc
Obviously the better song is "Mama used to say" but the chorus reminds me of Child's tune.
Giba7
Runaway

Postby funkygarden on Mon Sep 02, 2013 3:53 pm

Cussing and storming the stage??? LOL! I was in front with Natalie and Steve for the last few songs and didn't see anything when was that? LOL
At one point there were two guys one on the other ones shoulders quite drunk, waving their arms around. Next minute they slap me in the face that was the only excitement of the night. Sorry I completely missed Janluka, haven't seen you guys in years I should have known he'd be there!! :) :) :) xxx Glad everyone had fun!!
funkygarden

Postby Giba7 on Mon Sep 02, 2013 11:38 pm

@Legs
I'd gone to the festival with 2 other girls but sort of departed once there.
Around 1:00 I decided to check out who was holding the front spots, and met so many people from around the world! :mrgreen:
I came for music, and decided by 1:30 I had to hold my spot and watch all of the bands from the main stage.
I guess I just stayed behind Janluka and Meike cuz they were center stage. And I think I was left of Natalie.
But so happy Janluka taped it.

the obnoxious drunk English girl was pushing her way around (left of me) maybe around Joss Stone, then she was screaming at the top of her lungs at some guy, (turns out was her husband) :lol: somebody had the story on her, she wanted to charge the stage to do Jay and her husband was keeping her in check! pfft :lol: :lol:

@FunkyBolly and guess we were lucky to hear "You Give Me Something" :mrgreen:
awesome setlist of all the songs from TWM I never got to see live.
I really hope to see them again!

And the venue Stoke Park was great, it was maybe 97* boiling degrees, and the announcer would say "free water and be sure to get some sunblock". I felt a greater altruism in the UK than in the US. The US would've said -"$2 a bottled water". Then later come back and say they were out of bottled water and don't drink the pump water cuz the pipes have lead in it" which actually really happened at Lollapalooza 1993. :lol:
Giba7
Runaway

Return to The Funktion Room - Jamiroquai Chat